• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A year on the camino

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
At some point this week, last week or next, depending on how you define it, I will have spent 365 days of my life on the camino.

Not what I expected when I set out on a one off pilgrimage in memory of my mother during the last Holy Year.

In that time I've stayed in about 250 cities, towns and villages of Spain - significant duplication due to usually finishing using some or most of the Sanabrés. I've walked through 33 of Spain's provinces, 10 of its autonomous regions, I don't know how many of its World Heritage Sites, and National and Natural Parks, and also seen uncountable churches, mostly from the outside only.

I've probably stayed in 100-odd albergues, some several times - A Laxe's has the record with 6, not because I particularly like it, but because it's ideally placed 2 days from Santiago. Oseira Monastery comes second with 4, and several are on 3. Albergues have come in various forms, including many former schools, an Inquisition prison, three bullrings, above a funeral parlour, in 3-4 ayuntamientos, in a bus station, in several railway stations, medical centres, parish halls, priests' houses, convents, a palace, a former slaughterhouse, attached to various churches, in monasteries, sports centres, private houses and specially built complexes. I've also stayed in dozens of private hotels, hostals, pensións etc, including many truck stops and a few castles and mostly perfectly fine, although a few run by graduates of the Norman Bates School of Hospitality.

I've been accused of being Dutch, Italian, German and French, but almost never English, and never American.

I've walked for 40 days without a drop of rain, and been soaked to the skin many times. I've been hot and bothered and dusty and thirsty. I've had mild frost bite and once, in thick freezing fog, the water in my bottle froze as I was walking.

At an average of ~3 a day, I must also have visited well over a thousand bars, cafés and restaurants, mostly welcoming to indifferent, a tiny few almost actively hostile (almost invariably those where the landlord was promoting smoking). I've been shortchanged and I've been not allowed to pay because it was St George's day/the landlord liked pilgrims/somebody at the bar picked up my tab. I've had great meals at tiny prices and some not so good ones at bigger costs, and also found myself in the middle of public feasts, with free food and drink being forced on me. I've been invited into complete strangers' houses for meals, and been told that a bar that was visibly still serving food was cerrau.

I've met very many delightful hospitaler@s, some professional, some voluntary, including tourism officers, town hall clerks, mayors, policemen, a crown prosecutor, a local doctor, teachers, barkeepers, monks, nuns and priests. And a very few who clearly hated their profession and the pilgrims it entailed dealing with.

I've learned much more about Spain's literature, music, language, architecture, landscape, culture and history, and come to love (almost) all of it much more, and only scratched the surface. I've also learned a lot more about my three relations who came out here to fight, and in one case die, in 1936.

If there is a better way of getting to see and know a different Spain, then I probably haven't got enough time or energy left to find it out.

Adelante.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Alan, I wonder if you have a blog, or a book, but certainly: a long and rich year of experience. You have been blessed, in my opinion, hope that doesn't upset you! to have had such a magnificent time. Yes, magnificent. It would make such a great film. (Shh! much better than that plastic film...)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At some point this week, last week or next, depending on how you define it, I will have spent 365 days of my life on the camino.

Not what I expected when I set out on a one off pilgrimage in memory of my mother during the last Holy Year.

In that time I've stayed in about 250 cities, towns and villages of Spain - significant duplication due to usually finishing using some or most of the Sanabrés. I've walked through 33 of Spain's provinces, 10 of its autonomous regions, I don't know how many of its World Heritage Sites, and National and Natural Parks, and also seen uncountable churches, mostly from the outside only.

I've probably stayed in 100-odd albergues, some several times - A Laxe's has the record with 6, not because I particularly like it, but because it's ideally placed 2 days from Santiago. Oseira Monastery comes second with 4, and several are on 3. Albergues have come in various forms, including many former schools, an Inquisition prison, three bullrings, above a funeral parlour, in 3-4 ayuntamientos, in a bus station, in several railway stations, medical centres, parish halls, priests' houses, convents, a palace, a former slaughterhouse, attached to various churches, in monasteries, sports centres, private houses and specially built complexes. I've also stayed in dozens of private hotels, hostals, pensións etc, including many truck stops and a few castles and mostly perfectly fine, although a few run by graduates of the Norman Bates School of Hospitality.

I've been accused of being Dutch, Italian, German and French, but almost never English, and never American.

I've walked for 40 days without a drop of rain, and been soaked to the skin many times. I've been hot and bothered and dusty and thirsty. I've had mild frost bite and once, in thick freezing fog, the water in my bottle froze as I was walking.

At an average of ~3 a day, I must also have visited well over a thousand bars, cafés and restaurants, mostly welcoming to indifferent, a tiny few almost actively hostile (almost invariably those where the landlord was promoting smoking). I've been shortchanged and I've been not allowed to pay because it was St George's day/the landlord liked pilgrims/somebody at the bar picked up my tab. I've had great meals at tiny prices and some not so good ones at bigger costs, and also found myself in the middle of public feasts, with free food and drink being forced on me. I've been invited into complete strangers' houses for meals, and been told that a bar that was visibly still serving food was cerrau.

I've met very many delightful hospitaler@s, some professional, some voluntary, including tourism officers, town hall clerks, mayors, policemen, a crown prosecutor, a local doctor, teachers, barkeepers, monks, nuns and priests. And a very few who clearly hated their profession and the pilgrims it entailed dealing with.

I've learned much more about Spain's literature, music, language, architecture, landscape, culture and history, and come to love (almost) all of it much more, and only scratched the surface. I've also learned a lot more about my three relations who came out here to fight, and in one case die, in 1936.

If there is a better way of getting to see and know a different Spain, then I probably haven't got enough time or energy left to find it out.

Adelante.
WOW AMAZING!!!!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I feel I state the obvious in saying there is no better way.
The whole gamut of Spanish humanity and its life spreads itself before you.
I would also add I think there is no better person to do it.
Thank you for continuing travel detail, but above all for your example.
A life being well lived.
Regards
Gerard

Ooh! Now THAT is an accomplishment worth emulating!

Toting up my total days on Camino, I am still short of six-months. So, I have some more to do.

I get closer to a year if I add in my volunteer time. But that would be like comparing apples and oranges.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Adelante.
Thank you for sharing 🙏🏻😊 I would love to spend a year on the Camino 👣🎒😎

Adelante.
What an adventure. Just awesome! That’s a Camino book, I’d buy.

Have read a lot of your post here in the forum and enjoyed them a lot! Well done and hope you still continue walking¡

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You certainly have had a very varied year of travel, adventure, learning things and - a'a life on the road well spent'.. looking forward to reading more and, thank you for sharing all with us all here in your 'Forum family's. Camino thoughts and blessings....susanawee.

Adelante.
What a beautiful experience it must’ve been / you’re having...... I’m kinda jealous and full of admiration at the same time. I love the experience you’ve had/having some negative but mostly positive. As the great comic Dave Allen always said “May your god go with you!”
Nicky

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back