• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

AA meetings on camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd like to know the answer to this one as I think it would be very helpful to people.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) the prevailing culture on the camino is alcohol fuelled. For someone with an alcohol dependancy it would take a huge effort not to falter. Wine accompanies every meal (although you can ask for water) and it is a brave soul who asks for "tonic sin gin".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What's the polite phrase in Spanish for turning down alcohol? Something more definitive than "No thank you", which many generous and fun-loving people take to mean "I would just like more convincing." :)

I don't mind explaining that I don't drink, but in bad translation it can be turn out quite awkward and uncomfortable for both parties.

I'm a big fan of Google Translate but this translation would benefit from some care for nuance.

(I am not the least bit uncomfortable with people drinking all around me, by the way.)

Last edited:
I've travelled throughout Galicia with a friend who doesn't drink and he has no problems at all. He just orders what he wants to drink and listo (there you go).

Spaniards love Schwepps tonic, just order it like that and there should be no expectation of gin. There are always soda or other soft drink options. As a matter of fact, in Galicia a local water company, Mondariz makes a really lovely cola (regular and sugar free - in a beautifully designed black can) out of mineral water from their springs in the southern part of the province. Be on the lookout for that, if cola is something you enjoy.

Buen camino!!

As for how to say you don't drink, my friend just told me "no bebo alcohol" and that was that. I'm sure some Spanish speakers here on the forum can offer something better, but that's pretty basic and will get you there.

What's the polite phrase in Spanish for turning down alcohol? Something more definitive than "No thank you", which many generous and fun-loving people take to mean "I would just like more convincing." :)
Try "No, gracias. Nunca tomo alcohol" - no thank you. I never drink alcohol.

Or "No, gracias. Hace x anos que ya no tomo alcohol" - no thank you, it has been X number of years since I've had alcohol.

That should be forceful enough without having to spell things out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have you tried checking with your local AA for meetings in Spain? In US churches often hold AA mtgs, may hold true for Spain. Contacting parish in Roncesvalles may be a start. Or, is there an international AA organization. I never drank, and tired of rolling eyes when I ordered soda with every meal, so I switched to Mosto. It is grape juice with seltzer. Tasty. And, looks grown-up.
Buen camino.

I don't mind explaining that I don't drink, but in bad translation it can be turn out quite awkward and uncomfortable for both parties.

I'm a big fan of Google Translate but this translation would benefit from some care for nuance.

(I am not the least bit uncomfortable with people drinking all around me, by the way.)
I've alsays used: "No, gracias, no bebo alcohol." If anyone needs to know why, I ignore them. It's just my preference. (FYI: Born and raised in Noo Awlins. Did enough in my youth to last a lifetime.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So, that is about "no alcohol drinking"?
New Orleans is not known for being a dry zone. :D Poster from there probably enjoyed the local culture in his youth, and a bit too much according to his post.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A friend went to the AA meeting in Leon (or Ponferrada--I've forgotten which) as he really, really, really, needed to go to a meeting. It was entirely in Castellano, as he expected, but he said that the spirit in the room was helpful to him, and the other attendees helpful. If you are on the del Norte, I think that there are English meetings in Bilbao and S. Sebastian.

While there is much alcohol around on the Camino, remember that many Spaniards do not drink, or very sparingly (e.g., Sundays, family gatherings) and there seems to be very little pressure to drink alcohol. I see in restaurants how some people will have soft drinks, some water, others beer, and others wine, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Unlike Kanga, I have no trouble believing that you can easily order tonica on its own.

If you are on the del Norte, I think that there are English meetings in Bilbao and S. Sebastian.
This thread is in the Frances Forum.

The latest info says there are no English meetings in Navarra, Rioja, Castilla y Leon. There are only some in Galicia, but one has to contact them for more details.

If language is not an issue, one can search here, by pluging in the name of the town and city: http://www.alcoholicos-anonimos.org/v_portal/apartados/apartado.asp

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd like to know the answer to this one as I think it would be very helpful to people.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) the prevailing culture on the camino is alcohol fuelled. For someone with an alcohol dependancy it would take a huge effort not to falter. Wine accompanies every meal (although you can ask for water) and it is a brave soul who asks for "tonic sin gin".

Whilst I do like my wine, I have walked and eaten plenty of times with people that don't drink (for different reasons) and never saw any problems. Apart of water (still and sparkling) there is always Gaseosa (lemonade) on offer to go with a menu and plenty of fruit juices etc for snack stops. There is no social pressure in Spanish restaurants to drink alcohol and if fellow pilgrims try to pressure you - just walk away from those pilgrims.
Buen Camino, SY

I've alsays used: "No, gracias, no bebo alcohol." If anyone needs to know why, I ignore them. It's just my preference. (FYI: Born and raised in Noo Awlins. Did enough in my youth to last a lifetime.)
Tomo is the correct word. Bebo not so much.

A friend went to the AA meeting in Leon (or Ponferrada--I've forgotten which) as he really, really, really, needed to go to a meeting. It was entirely in Castellano, as he expected, but he said that the spirit in the room was helpful to him, and the other attendees helpful. If you are on the del Norte, I think that there are English meetings in Bilbao and S. Sebastian.

While there is much alcohol around on the Camino, remember that many Spaniards do not drink, or very sparingly (e.g., Sundays, family gatherings) and there seems to be very little pressure to drink alcohol. I see in restaurants how some people will have soft drinks, some water, others beer, and others wine, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Unlike Kanga, I have no trouble believing that you can easily order tonica on its own.
I'm with you on this .
My wife don't drink alcohol and she had no problems what so ever.
Here Camino family was watching over here that there was always plenty of non alcohol drinks on the table .
Wish you well , Peter .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To Gena, good luck with the AA meetings. Non-alcohol drinker here. For those in my camp there are plenty of non-alcoholic beverages available, and Spain is the European leader on the consumption of "cervezas sin alcohol" or non-alcoholic beers [reference, article by telemadrid of 20march2017, Spanish is my lingua materna]. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

A double. I am sure madrid has a support group. There is a group in ourense. I have walked many caminos. With 35 years under my belt. ODAT. Bring your book. No is a complete sentence. Be cautious of the 0.0 zero zero.
Thank you so much...can't wait to go! Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are there any AA meetings on the Camino?
Gena, I am a friend of Bob - you'll understand.
I walked the Camino in 2013 and those Camino friends close to me understood why I did not partake in the enjoyment of wine and or beer along the way. While I had many years of abstinence there is always the temptation, that I appreciate. Never had a problem along the way. The community which you are walking in is very much one of sharing and caring - similar to an AA meeting. Don't be afraid to share your fear along the way. You'll find friends of Bob along the way to help you as needed.

28 years onward, I still get a little anxious every time I travel outside my comfort zone. It only last for a minute or two. Trust me, you'll have friends everywhere on the Way that will be a great help to you.

TJB, I use something to the effect that it is not good for my health and I never get questioned on that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@bismith mentions meeting fellow friends along the Camino. I remember from a past thread that someone was going to sew the Friends of Bill W patch on his/her backback so that other "members" could say hello, reach out, share, if they wanted to. I assume the patch doesn't advertise things to the non initiated, so not an issue for those prefering to engage in this conversation with everyone.

To Gena, good luck with the AA meetings. Non-alcohol drinker here. For those in my camp there are plenty of non-alcoholic beverages available, and Spain is the European leader on the consumption of "cervezas sin alcohol" or non-alcoholic beers [reference, article by telemadrid of 20march2017, Spanish is my lingua materna]. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
It happend to my wife that she asked for a beer with 0.0% alcohol and she was served a beer with 0.5% alcohol.
So check the labels on the bottle before you start drinking.
Wish you well,Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Spain and Portugal it has never mattered to anyone (that I can recall) that I don't drink alcohol. Maybe order a Mosto (grape juice.) You will not have any problem finding non-alcohol drinks at a bar.

.......... Wine accompanies every meal (although you can ask for water) and it is a brave soul who asks for "tonic sin gin".

That is a bit of a narrow view. A lot of people may not be able to drink alcohol for their own reasons. Driving, medicine, don't like it, for religious reasons, abdominal problems. Plus a few more!
You can go into any bar anywhere and order what you like, (no matter what the time of day is), be it coffee, coke, fanta, beer sin, water, Gin and coke, wine, etc etc.
The way to ask for a tonic without the gin is tónica, Normally comes with ice and slice of lemon and one can say sin....(whatever you do not want)

What's the polite phrase in Spanish for turning down alcohol? Something more definitive than "No thank you", which many generous and fun-loving people take to mean "I would just like more convincing."......
If you want a non alcoholic drink, cerveza sin (non alcoholic beer), wine sin (non alcoholic wine) Coke, Fanta, tónica, cafe, té,
infusión (fuity/herbal teas) aqua, water. Sin gas normal water or with bubbles (con gas). Zumo (a fruit juice and of which there are many types).
If you want to state that you do not drink alcohol then say "Yo no tomo alcohol"

No one gave me a 2nd look when I only drank water and no wine. Usually they were quite happy to have my share of the wine.
It is very easy to avoid booze on the Camino. All those beautiful juices, coffee and giant bottles of cold water.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry, English is not my mother's language, so can anyone explain to me what Noo Awlins means? Is it something like "...no bebo alcohol." ever???
It is an amusing phonetic spelling of New Orleans (the way some folks pronounce it). I lived there long ago for 5 years--other wise I would not know either.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think you'll find fellow pilgrims an understanding bunch and I'm sure you'll buddy up before too long.

Take them into your confidence and I'm equally sure they'll help you if temptation calls when the going gets tough.

After all we often need that kind word of encouragement whether it's to help us up the last few metres of O'Ceb, the last few kilometres befor the day's end or staving off temptation.

Not a frequent drinker of alcohol myself but nobody has ever taken umbrage against me for not accepting a drink.

Hope you have a safe and dry (in every sense of the word) camino.

It is not that there are no non-alcoholic alternatives. There are plenty, and they are freely available. My point was that on the Camino for someone who craves alcohol it is difficult.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Now come on - you are on a pilgrimage which schould bring you same possibility as an AA meeting.
What do you expect from the Camino.
Sheesh! Really? It's not your life and health at stake is it?! I think the OP is doing the smart think asking about this in case he feels he needs support. The Camino can bring many unexpected reactions, and even from ine Camino to the next for the same person.

It is not that there are no non-alcoholic alternatives. There are plenty, and they are freely available. My point was that on the Camino for someone who craves alcohol it is difficult.

I think this is an important distinction. Depending on where a person is in his or her recovery, resisting alcohol can be difficult when it is widely available. I think it is also important to note that while there is plenty of alcohol on the Camino, no one (that I witnessed) is pushy about it. So, if a person is at the point in his or her recovery where being around alcohol is ok, then it shouldn't be much of an issue - plenty of other choices, and people won't bat an eyelash if a person doesn't drink. But if he or she hasn't reached that point, then it's important to recognize that the availability of alcohol could be a problem.

And I agree with Anemone - people can and should look for the support they need a long the way - AA is different in some respects, but similar in others to the support that we all need from time to time. And if it turns out that there is no AA available when needed, please do confide in fellow pilgrims. People on the Camino have an amazing capacity to provide the support and understanding that you need when you need it.

Now come on - you are on a pilgrimage which schould bring you same possibility as an AA meeting.
What do you expect from the Camino.

Euh, I hope pilgrims on the Camino and AA members both are able to be nice, gentle, discrete, understanding and openminded. But I can imagine that someone with alcoholissues sometimes can use that extra solidarity an AA meeting provides. Even if it is in a language they can not fully understand....

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
... My point was that on the Camino for someone who craves alcohol it is difficult.

Alcohol is freely available and its consumption encouraged in a lot of places/settings. The Camino is neither better nor worse in that respect. Buen Camino, SY

Yes, I guess that is true @SYates, and if someone is seeking alcohol they will find it. But many of us who do not live in Europe are not so often in public or social settings with alcohol around. Here any premises serving alcohol has to have a special license; they are strictly controlled, and quite expensive to get. So the majority of cafés and small food outlets do not serve alcohol, and many supermarkets do not sell alcohol. Certainly it would be unusual for me to be eating breakfast or drinking my morning coffee in licensed premises - my local café fails miserably on that score!

Certainly it would be unusual for me to be eating breakfast or drinking my morning coffee in licensed premises - my local café fails miserably on that score!
The number of times I walked into a cafe for breakfast or a second cafe con lech to be surrounded by people ordering Cutty Sark, brandy, if they are taking it easy a sherry. And what about the bottle of orujo sitting on the counter for people to add to their coffee.

Let's not kid ourslves, with a full bottle of wine being included per person with the 10€ menu del dia, 2€ bottles of wine at the grocery store, 33 centimos for a beer, the barriers of price, venue and time one can buy alcohol are just not quite the same in Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I guess that is true @SYates, and if someone is seeking alcohol they will find it. But many of us who do not live in Europe are not so often in public or social settings with alcohol around. Here any premises serving alcohol has to have a special license; they are strictly controlled, and quite expensive to get. So the majority of cafés and small food outlets do not serve alcohol, and many supermarkets do not sell alcohol. Certainly it would be unusual for me to be eating breakfast or drinking my morning coffee in licensed premises - my local café fails miserably on that score!

And a good thing this is : being expensive I mean. Alcohol and tobacco is still too cheap in my country.
I do not have any objections against alcohol but I think that the taxes need to be much higher. And much more prevention campaigns of course.

And a good thing this is : being expensive I mean. Alcohol and tobacco is still too cheap in my country.
I do not have any objections against alcohol but I think that the taxes need to be much higher. And much more prevention campaigns of course.
Oh, I remember those G&Ts in Antwerp: 80% gin topped off with a bit of tonic. Or beimg able to buy gin & al. in grocery stores with food coupons from work.:eek:

I never drank on the Camino Frances and NO ONE gave a hoot! Never had to say I don't drink-I just asked for what I DID want, never had to explain myself to anyone

consider calling World Service Organization and ask re meetings- be able to give a few towns you're likely to pass through
I cared a symbol on my pack for both 12 step and Forum- no one noticed

Alex Walker and I met because we introduced are selves not because he noticed my badge -He drank beer as we walked, I drank Kas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Alcohol is freely available and its consumption encouraged in a lot of places/settings. The Camino is neither better nor worse in that respect. Buen Camino, SY

Perhaps I might gently disagree. I have a few close friends and relatives who are on the programme, and I notice much variation between countries on pressure to drink. In my student days, both in Ireland and England, if people did not participate in the rounds system (where everyone in turn must buy a round of drinks for the table and so one could easily end up having to consume six pints of something), they were highly disapproved of, and sometimes ostracized. In Ontario, where I was raised, non-drinkers were frequently urged to join in the spirit of the event and sometimes would find it easier just to order a beer and hold it in their hand for hours. In Spain, I found a great tolerance for non-drinking, and liked the freedom which it brought.

For my own part, a few glasses of godello with my fish, and the bottle of orujo blanco casero on the table, is perfectly fine.

For my own part, a few glasses of godello with my fish, and the bottle of orujo blanco casero on the table, is perfectly fine.
Talk about falling off the wagon with that bottle of orujo on the table. It is difficult to resist, especially when they bring you four: a natural one, a honey, an herbal and a coffee flavoured one. Yup, restaurant in Armenteira on the Spiritual. Rolling down the hill off to the albergue ready for bed...

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back