• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aarn Backpack and training advice

dmartin53

Hi everyone. I'm hoping to do the camino mid Sept (20th) in SJPP thru October 31st. In a recent post ( which has seemed to disappear) someone mentioned an aarn pack. I looked into them and am intrigued. I'm 5'3 and ~115 lbs (and 58 yrs) and want to go as light and as ergonomically as possible. There are no retailers in the Boston area so I can't just go to a store and try one. It would be a bit of a leap of faith . ( Kinda metaphorical for the camino.) I was thinking of the Marathon Magic 33 with the front balance packs. Would this pack be too small? Any other comment would be appreciated. Also in my training I think I over did it one day... and am not resting a calf strain. Any training advice is also appreciated. I may be starting from stratch now. ERR!
Debbie in NH

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have the Featherlite Freedom, which is far too large for the Camino. However, it does not weigh much more than Aarn's smaller packs, so I just enjoy the extra space by never having crushed bread.

I have the older balance pockets with liners, which also are pretty large.

The Marathon Magic 33 is a suitable size and weight for the Camino, in my opinion.

I think that the Aarn design is a "better mousetrap." It promotes upright walking, and puts no load whatsoever on the shoulder straps. My Altus poncho barely fits around the balance pockets, but that is not a design flaw by Aarn! I look down at my feet a lot to find solid footing, and the balance packs are not a visual obstruction. Arms flow freely using trekking poles. The weight distribution between front and back is very comfortable, and it is very useful to have all the gear in the balance pockets readily accessible without having to take off the pack. I can don my poncho in seconds, while others are fumbling to remove their rain gear from some pack pocket.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello dmartin

I have the Natural Exhilaration, and I love it, am training for my first camino in Oct and must have gown through 10 backpacks, until I came across the Aarn packs, they are located in Colorado, the contact is aarnusa dot com you can call or email you will be talking to Dana very nice fellow and very helpfull I tried the magic and I did not like the hip belt setup but that just me the natural exhilaration fits me and let's me carry my load in much more confort,( I'm a guy right at 185 lbs.) you have to follow the direction correctly for the measurement (they are totally different then what you are used to), and the pack it self have a learning curve unlike a regular pack. The natural does not come with front packs and I chose the small front packs versus the the sport (to big for me) but you can read all about on they site or pm me if want additional user info. I hope this heps you.

Zo

Hi Debbie in NH
Yes the MM33 is probably the best for you!

I guess you can email Aarn & let them help you & order it soon so you get used to wearing it, getting used to putting it on & off. & I guess take it gently. Hope you are considering Pacerpoles, they'll help your calf muscle too.

Good Luck David

Don't overtrain. The aerobic challenge is significant but not great. The real challenge of the Camino is the wear and tear on your feet, along with the general fatigue of walking day after day after day. It's hard to train for that, and the training that you do can just add to the troubles.

Based on your height and weight, I'm guessing you're already in sufficient aerobic condition. The Camino is not full of aerobic athletes. I'm a strong aerobic athlete, but almost quit because my feet and ankles hurt so much.

That said, be certain that your shoes are fitting right. That's something that you can control, and fix beforehand, unlike for example your knees and ankles.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Indeed, it is very true that it is hard to specifically train for the Camino but all long walks will accustom you to your shoes (so wear them & confirm their suitability on hopes). Even the concept of standing up all day will help because that is what will happen, you will be on yor feet for maybe 10 hours a day. You need to get used to it, as very few people live/work 'on their feet' nowadays. Wear those shoes all day when you are out and when given a chance, walk to where you go. (Backpacks and expected load can be for your walking hikes.)
If you can't do long walk, try some jogging (at any pace) which will stimulate your aerobic capacity and strengethen muscles. But the fact you do not jog in your Camino gear and shoes means the micro-alignment of muscles and ligaments will not be the same and foot weight bearing pressures are dissimilar, too. (I found the small muscles and soft tissue were the ones which made me suffer because I had not had enough time in my shoes and on my feet for long enough before doing the Camino. My particular difficulties were soles of the feet and shins. I believe, one for not having had enough time on my feet for 'training' and the other for heavy boots going up & down hills. All training will help but becomes pointless in the last week before starting, get rested and properly prepared at that time.
For the Camino, a little 'self massage' can be learnt for feet and legs. And maybe a fine way to recover is, at the end of the day, sitting (discretely) in COLD water for ten minutes, it stimulates the blood to go to the cooling muscles, which then helps flush out the 'overuse constituents from the muscles and aids recovery and relaxation. (At the end of a day I managed to sit in a cold stream, pool and even a water trough for cattle which was supplied by a flowing mountain stream. Odd but it helped when my legs were in 'crisis'.) Such pains & strains get better after the 10th or 12th day.. Hope I am not putting you off!
And last of all a muscle cream - Voltarol, can be bought in all the Camino pharmacies.
Be prepared, but also be prepared to enjoy and take each day as it comes. It is not a race but an experience which can and should lead to enrichment of your life (during & after).
God Bless, & Buen Camino ! :)
Valdis.

Aarn bodypacks are wonderful. Thoroughly recommend.

For our 5th camino last year, the VdlP, Ian and I bought Liquid Agility packs. Was a tight squeeze for me with just 26ltr plus small, compact front balance pockets (6ltr) and medium Sport pockets (12ltr) for him. but we downsized and pruned and loved the light and balanced packs. The shoulder straps did not touch my shoulders at all, and the pockets can be turned into small,only slightly unusual, day bags for evening.

These Aarn packs helped us over the 1000km and will be going with us again this year. They are available in Australia from" Backpacking Light" in Melbourne plus a couple of distributors in Sydney. All questions answered on the excellent website ... http://www.aarnpacks.com

Valdis Pauzers said:
For the Camino, a little 'self massage' can be learnt for feet and legs. And maybe a fine way to recover is, at the end of the day, sitting (discretely) in COLD water for ten minutes, it stimulates the blood to go to the cooling muscles, which then helps flush out the 'overuse constituents from the muscles and aids recovery and relaxation. (At the end of a day I managed to sit in a cold stream, pool and even a water trough for cattle which was supplied by a flowing mountain stream. Odd but it helped when my legs were in 'crisis'.) Such pains & strains get better after the 10th or 12th day.. Hope I am not putting you off!
Valdis.
Valdis, what might put me off is that while the cold treatment might be sound, this explanation is basically incorrect. Cold treatments work because the blood vessels constrict, reducing the blood flow, limiting internal bleeding at an injury site and the accompanying swelling and bruising.
I don't know what overuse constituents you might be thinking of, but I don't think it likely that anyone walking the Camino would be entering the anaerobic zone of muscle use where lactate build-up might be a problem. Nonetheless, a suitable regime of leg stretches before and after each walking session might assist maintain flexibility.

Valdis Pauzers said:
And last of all a muscle cream - Voltarol, can be bought in all the Camino pharmacies.
This is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that is also a analgesic. In combination, the two effects work to mask the natural warnings that your body generates (pain) as a mechanism to guard against further damage. If one isn't going to stop doing the things that generate these messages, masking them with a NSAID could lead to even worse problems. There are other muscle creams available that claim to offer muscular pain relief, although it's not clear how effective they might be.

It seems to me that giving one's legs a cold bath (or an ice treatment), taking a couple of aspirin and then having a good lie down with one's legs elevated would be just as effective and with far fewer risks. Using a compression bandage or wearing compression hose would also help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

My backpack preference is for a ULA Circuit. Not too big, very light and has pockets in just the right places. It has plenty of room for my needs which include me taking my hammock, tarp, basic cook set, bedding and clothes. One great feature is the very large mesh pocket on the back. Great to put wet items or things like a poncho. ULA also make a smaller pack called the Ohm. Check them out.

On the front I attach a Think tank photo speed changer V2.0 camera bag. This is big enough to fit a Nikon V1 and 2 lenses along with wallet, passport, pens, notepad, Swiss army knife etc. This bag can be easily detached for lunch breaks and evening strolls. You can fit a shoulder strap or use your belt to carry it.

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.

I was wondering about what training people do as well. I don't own a car or take public transit so I walk everywhere. I easily walk 3 miles a day just getting around. I've been adding more after work on nights when it doesn't rain but again it's without a pack and city/flat walking. On the weekends I go out in the hills for longer walks, on average it's about 50 miles a week. I am hoping that's enough because that's about all I can fit in while working full time.

What I have learned, I bought the wrong shoes. I have no blisters but they just don't feel right or very comfortable. I think I need to buy a new pair.... is three months enough time to truly break in another pair? I kept holding out with these thinking it was just the breaking in process but I've been wearing them since November and I just don't like them. Last week I went back to my old runners and preferred them so much more than hiking shoes.

JillHives said:
What I have learned, I bought the wrong shoes. I have no blisters but they just don't feel right or very comfortable. I think I need to buy a new pair.... is three months enough time to truly break in another pair? I kept holding out with these thinking it was just the breaking in process but I've been wearing them since November and I just don't like them. Last week I went back to my old runners and preferred them so much more than hiking shoes.
I'm sorry, but get a new pair for your Camino. The old ones will do for short walks in future. Your boots have to be your best friends and lovers. (They may cost you more than you'd like, but it's worth it.)

I'm a relatively inexperienced walker, but I'd count breaking in a pair of (light) boots as a matter of days or weeks instead of months. Don't wear them out! My last pair were pretty much brand new (give or take a week or two breaking in) when I started in Pamplona. The soles were starting to crack by Ponferrada. I loved them for their comfort and I made it to SdC, but they weren't really up to the job so I took them back and got a refund.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back