• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Abbreviations

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2015
I keep coming across abbreviations like these SJPP, VdlP and CdN. What do they stand for? Is there a reference page that explains all of these abbreviations?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, :)

SJPP or SJPdP = St Jean Pied de Port (a city in the South of France) a popular starting point for the Camino Frances or CF.

VdlP = Via de la Plata: I'm not sure where this Camino starts.

CdN = Camino del Norte is the Camino that runs across the North of Spain along the coast.

My pilgrimage started in SJPdP on Sept 3 this year. It was awesome!! Where do you plan on starting and which route will you walk?

Anymore questions, just let us know.

Peace be with you and may the Lord guide your steps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I keep coming across abbreviations like these SJPP, VdlP and CdN. What do they stand for? Is there a reference page that explains all of these abbreviations?
Hi 2 sassy travelers! Further to the comments above, if you go to the Confraternity site www.csj.org.uk and on the gray line(under the first red blocks of colour) look under Routes to Santiago and click on Individual Routes. This will give you a list of the various caminos and you can guess from there how they are shortened into just letters. As for SJPP - well you can imagine how quickly you want to change that to initials after writing Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port a few times:) I can never remember where the dashes are supposed to be!!
Newcomers to the camino experience usually think of there being only one camino - the one called the Camino Frances, but as you will see on the Confraternity site, there are many - thus all of the abbreviations. Those of us who have been around for a few years forget we are talking in a code others may not understand.
Thanks for the reminder! Buen camino.

Also, SdC is frequently used to refer to Santiago de Compostela. C/F or just "CF" are used as short-hand for Camino Frances. Other commonly seen abbreviations include:

ALSA - Bus company in much of northern Spain (www.alsa.es)
RENFE - Spanish national rail system (www.renfe.es)
SNCF - French national railway system (www.sncf.fr)
TER - French regional / regional territorial rail system (www.sncf.fr/ter) I think

Spanish supermarket chains,:
DIA (www.dia.es)
Eroski (www.eroski. es)
Mercadona (www.mercadona.es)

My advanced apologies if I got some of the websites wrong.

Happy New Year to all!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back