• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About how to walk Camino Frances with 10 years old boy in summer 2020?

janewang

Time of past OR future Camino
Nov 4, 2016-Dec 10, 2016 French way
I have a plan to hike from SJPP to Santiago with my 10 years old boy in July to August, 2020. Three years ago I hike Frances way, I lovely Camino. And I miss it. So I wanna hike with my little son walk Camino again. As his 10 years old gift.

But I worry about if everyday he walk 10-20KM, and in Summer albergues will difficult to booking..just what can I do...?

If you have good ideas or experiences about in Camino with children. Please give me some your advices, thanks so much:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Give yourselves a lot of time so you can walk short days. Then let him decide how far is enough each day. If you don’t make it to Santiago you can go back another time!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Walk with your son? Depends on the son, depends on the parent. The Kiwi family is a great idea but they walked as a family, tons of self-support there marked by constant ever-changing interactions between the family members as they walk and in the evenings. You will be walking one on one, not the same. Your son will attract much attention and admiration which he may or may not appreciate. I would think a shorter itinerary would work, say from Sarria to SdC. Still, 10 days at 10k each is still a formidable challenge. I would think that an MP4 player of any music he may enjoy might help him to walk along, audiobooks along the line of Harry Potter etc. would be a good idea too, try and get him interested in photography with a cheapo cellular phone with WhatsApp/Instagram for back home. Walking with a ten-year-old would be infinitely better than waiting until he hits the fun and games catastrophes of the teen years! Buen Camino!

I walked with my 9 and 11 year old sons. They didnt enjoy training very much but had a wonderful time on the camino. They walked between 20-25 km a day. 20km was comfortable for them. We stayed mostly in private accommodation so we were not reliant on albergues and getting a bed. Many people made a fuss over them, particularly Spanish people. They were a bit embarrased, but they did feel special. They had their own phones to use as cameras and also to read books - and of course to play games - this was their special treat. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Last edited:
Hi, I walked the French way from Astorga with my nephew (then nearly 10) in April 2012. We walked daily distances between 13 km and 28 km without problems. The only problem was that there were no other children around, so I was responsible for entertainment (playing cards etc.). In summer it is more likely that you will meet familiys, mainly from Spain. So learning some basic words would be helpful for him. Spanish are mad about children. My nephew was often offered a chocolate bar or other sweets by elderly spanish ladies. The only thing he did not like were big dormitories. So either aim for smaller albergues in smaller villages (they are also less likely to be "completo") or take the chance to book a private room from time to time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a plan to hike from SJPP to Santiago with my 10 years old boy in July to August, 2020. Three years ago I hike Frances way, I lovely Camino. And I miss it. So I wanna hike with my little son walk Camino again. As his 10 years old gift.

But I worry about if everyday he walk 10-20KM, and in Summer albergues will difficult to booking..just what can I do...?

If you have good ideas or experiences about in Camino with children. Please give me some your advices, thanks so much:)
We walked with my friend’s nephew who was 11 at the time, all the way from St Jean to SdC. It was also in July/August.
There were no problems with finding beds in albergues, we only booked ahead a hotel in Santiago. Plenty of water, zumos, sweets, ice-creams.... And trying to find as many sellos as possible (he had great fun with that). I also took him swimming in the afternoons wherever there was the opportunity.
We had a great time but then he was a good walker. We did our ‘normal’ etapas, between 20 and 25+ km a day. Is your son a keen walker? You may have to walk shorter days according to how he feels....

Give yourselves a lot of time so you can walk short days. Then let him decide how far is enough each day. If you don’t make it to Santiago you can go back another time!
Enjoy!
It’s useful advices. I’ll let him to find good feel when he walk in first few days.

Thank U so much:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walk with your son? Depends on the son, depends on the parent. The Kiwi family is a great idea but they walked as a family, tons of self-support there marked by constant ever-changing interactions between the family members as they walk and in the evenings. You will be walking one on one, not the same. Your son will attract much attention and admiration which he may or may not appreciate. I would think a shorter itinerary would work, say from Sarria to SdC. Still, 10 days at 10k each is still a formidable challenge. I would think that an MP4 player of any music he may enjoy might help him to walk along, audiobooks along the line of Harry Potter etc. would be a good idea too, try and get him interested in photography with a cheapo cellular phone with WhatsApp/Instagram for back home. Walking with a ten-year-old would be infinitely better than waiting until he hits the fun and games catastrophes of the teen years! Buen Camino!
:) I’m So glad to get your advices. It’s depends on my son with me, only both of us. I’ll try do my best with him to enjoy walk in Camino.And bring his book and play game. Buen Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked with my 9 and 11 year old sons. They didnt enjoy training very much but had a wonderful time on the camino. They walked between 20-25 km a day. 20km was comfortable for them. We stayed mostly in private accommodation so we were not reliant on albergues and getting a bed. Many people made a fuss over them, particularly Spanish people. They were a bit embarrased, but they did feel special. They had their own phones to use as cameras and also to read books - and of course to play games - this was their special treat. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

PS, we are walking again shortly, this time they will be 11 and 13 years old :)
Your experience give me courage and great advices. I’ll try. Thanks too much.

Hi, I walked the French way from Astorga with my nephew (then nearly 10) in April 2012. We walked daily distances between 13 km and 28 km without problems. The only problem was that there were no other children around, so I was responsible for entertainment (playing cards etc.). In summer it is more likely that you will meet familiys, mainly from Spain. So learning some basic words would be helpful for him. Spanish are mad about children. My nephew was often offered a chocolate bar or other sweets by elderly spanish ladies. The only thing he did not like were big dormitories. So either aim for smaller albergues in smaller villages (they are also less likely to be "completo") or take the chance to book a private room from time to time.

Hi, your Camino experience with your nephew give me to much help. Learn basic word I think its good idea. I like Spanish, they are always hospitality :) I hope he will like albergues, but I like:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked with my friend’s nephew who was 11 at the time, all the way from St Jean to SdC. It was also in July/August.
There were no problems with finding beds in albergues, we only booked ahead a hotel in Santiago. Plenty of water, zumos, sweets, ice-creams.... And trying to find as many sellos as possible (he had great fun with that). I also took him swimming in the afternoons wherever there was the opportunity.
We had a great time but then he was a good walker. We did our ‘normal’ etapas, between 20 and 25+ km a day. Is your son a keen walker? You may have to walk shorter days according to how he feels....

:) This is his first long hike, I hope he will try. If we finally cant walk to Santiago, that's fine. I think its will a perfect experience for him. Plenty of sweets and ice-creams, I think he will like Camino:p And I really hope we can find beds in albergues every nights in summer.😇

When I walked in the summer of 2016, my son was 15 years old (16 when we finished), so a bit older. But we did see a Korean family walking with two children, aged 5 and 7, in the summer. They stayed in a number of the same albergues we did and didn't seem to have two much trouble walking the same length stages. In the albergues, after the day's walk, their kids seemed to have more energy than most of the other pilgrims. Their kids were carrying much lighter loads, though, which meant a bit more for their parents to carry.

I think that the advice for children walking the camino in the summer would be the same as for most people:
- keep an eye on how you are feeling and don't hesitate to take plenty of rest stops
- keep yourself well hydrated
- protect yourself from too much sun (you may want to get some of those reflective umbrellas for hikers to give yourself some portable shade - I wish my son had that when we walked)

Regular doses of ice cream are also appreciated by kids who walk in summer.

You may also want to go to YouTube and check out the Camino videos by Worldtowning. They walked with a 13 year old girl and a 10 year old boy. So that will give you a direct view to walking with a 10 year old boy, although, of course, every boy is different.

I’ve been thinking about walking with just one child. I would take a pack of cards and a tennis ball. Also take a journal and pen - possibly even a small set of watercolours.
I would also say no to games on screens - but I guess not many would agree.
My kids loved staying in albergues because we met lots of people and we could cook together. Most 10year olds can be enthused about anything - adult expectations can influence a lot.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We (my husband and I) just walked from Leon to Santiago with our 13 year old grandson. Granted, he is a wee bit older, but we did met a Spanish man walking with his 10 year old daughter.
He loved it. We walked 20-25kms a day. He got fit really quickly, really engaged with everything. He didn't get blisters, but enjoyed watching me treat my husband's. He got bolder with his Spanish, ate just about everything. He didn't winge or sulk, or get bored, and looked forward to exploring where ever we were each night.
He had an eagle eye for arrows, and his love of collecting sellos.
His favorite thing walking was to find an oasis , an unexpected refreshment stop, he would actually run towards them.
We are really glad we took him.

Last edited:
And I really hope we can find beds in albergues every nights in summer.😇
I’ve walked this Camino 4 times in July/August (2012, 2013, 2016, 2018). I have found the albergues empty (Until Sarria that is). In my experience, there is no rush of Summer pilgrims.... But hey! It may have changed since 2018 😀

:) This is his first long hike, I hope he will try. If we finally cant walk to Santiago, that's fine. I think its will a perfect experience for him. Plenty of sweets and ice-creams, I think he will like Camino:p And I really hope we can find beds in albergues every nights in summer.😇
Don’t forget getting the ‘sellos’.... And if he likes swimming, there are swimming pools and it’s a lovely way to relax after walking....
I think it would be important to make it to Santiago. If you see he is struggling (which I am pretty sure he won’t!), then concentrate on the last 100 km to get the Compostela. It will matter to him. What a memory 😎

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

July and August are actually less busy than the most popular months on the Camino Frances - at least until you reach Sarria. I wouldn't worry about finding beds.

On my second Camino I met and walked with a 10 year old girl. She out walked all the adults, carried her pack and brought much joy to all the pilgrims around her. I guess it very much depends on the particular child, but its definitely doable. She stayed in the albergues and I definitely recommend it so that he can have the full experience and make friends from around the world. I walked my first summer Camino this year and realized that the numbers arriving at the Cathedral are misleading, as many of those only walk the 100km. The route was not crowded except maybe in some of the usual places. Buen Camino!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks to everybody who give me so useful and great experiences for me. All of you let me have courage to try it with my son in this summer. Buen Camino!!! IT's fantastic. 🥰
Above all, enjoy and.... buen camino! 🙂

I’ve been thinking about walking with just one child. I would take a pack of cards and a tennis ball. Also take a journal and pen - possibly even a small set of watercolours.
I would also say no to games on screens - but I guess not many would agree.
My kids loved staying in albergues because we met lots of people and we could cook together. Most 10year olds can be enthused about anything - adult expectations can influence a lot.
Hi
Think you answered my question about walking with twins earlier. Can I ask a basic question about cooking --- is.it.typical.to cook your own food every evening and if so, where do.you buy provisions?!

Typical is to eat out. Typical for those on a tight budget is to pick up supplies at supermarkets or little grocery stores and either cook in the albergue kitchen or have a picnic.
Cooking with others or simply inviting them to join you once you’ve cooked is a sure-fire way to make friends.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back