• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About letting go - post Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I notice that a thread I posted in February of this year has come back on this forum.

It's called About Letting Go - and I raised the notion of having to let go of certain preconceptions if I were to have a successful Camino in September.

In fact it must have been shortly after that I decided to walk in April. I started in SJPP on April 10th, and arrived in SdC on May 10th. I had a lot of problems with a knee that I discovered later was bone on bone. I'd lost all my cartilage. It was very difficult. Incredibly painful.

Did I let go? Damn oath I did. I had to, to get through it. I learnt a lot. I learnt not to plan, I learnt to trust my intuition, I learnt to accept each day, each hour, each moment for the beauty that was inherent within.

I let go my fear. That's the biggest thing I let go of. If I got scared of something - like would I get a bed that night - I would ask myself: Well what's the worst that could happen?

I found that was enormously liberating. If I couldn't find a bed then I'd sleep in a barn, or in a field under a tree. I was lucky with fine weather. Sleeping in a field under a tree wouldn't be so bad.

Asking myself: What's the worst that can happen? became my mantra, and I've now taken that post Camino into my everyday life. It's equally liberating now in the "real world."

The Camino challenged me to let go, and I had to. And I'm so glad I did.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I notice that a thread I posted in February of this year has come back on this forum.

It's called About Letting Go - and I raised the notion of having to let go of certain preconceptions if I were to have a successful Camino in September.

In fact it must have been shortly after that I decided to walk in April. I started in SJPP on April 10th, and arrived in SdC on May 10th. I had a lot of problems with a knee that I discovered later was bone on bone. I'd lost all my cartilage. It was very difficult. Incredibly painful.

Did I let go? Damn oath I did. I had to, to get through it. I learnt a lot. I learnt not to plan, I learnt to trust my intuition, I learnt to accept each day, each hour, each moment for the beauty that was inherent within.

I let go my fear. That's the biggest thing I let go of. If I got scared of something - like would I get a bed that night - I would ask myself: Well what's the worst that could happen?

I found that was enormously liberating. If I couldn't find a bed then I'd sleep in a barn, or in a field under a tree. I was lucky with fine weather. Sleeping in a field under a tree wouldn't be so bad.

Asking myself: What's the worst that can happen? became my mantra, and I've now taken that post Camino into my everyday life. It's equally liberating now in the "real world."

Like to hear that. And thanks for the update.

Thanks Beatrice. And it's great to see someone on this forum actually using their name. I think transparency on these forums is important. I believe you should stand behind what you say, and what you believe. Bill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Beatrice. And it's great to see someone on this forum actually using their name. I think transparency on these forums is important. I believe you should stand behind what you say, and what you believe. Bill

Spot-on Bill. I've just amended my profile to include my full name.
Cheers - Jenny
PS - Bill - I've taken Ivar's comments on board and have done what he has suggested.
I'm sending you a message separately.
Cheers - Jenny

Last edited:
Good for you Jenny. So many people hide behind user names, and then they feel that gives them the right to be rude or arrogant or just plain mean. Let's see your name, let's see your picture. If you've got nothing to hide, then why hide? Stand behind what you say. Bill

I think that's a little harsh, Bill. It has nothing at all to do with hiding.
I prefer not to use my full name or my picture. I am not hiding, and I do stand behind what I say.
I think these comments are really over the top.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've had some bad experiences with people hiding behind user names. I believe in full transparency. My comments weren't intended to be harsh, and I'm sorry that you took them that way. Bill

Well, until "full transparency" is one of the forum rules, I hope you won't mind too much if some of us retain our current user names and pictures.

I get messages from many user that wish to change their username to something less identifiable, and I always do help with this. Using your name or a made-up name is optional. Here in the forum, you will be known by the username you choose.

I use my full name, but I would advise users to not use their full name, unless they are 100% sure of this. I do not think transparency is important in this kind of forums. I will help anyone, no matter who they are, what their name is, where they come from and the reason they are here.

A made-up username is just fine.

Saludos,
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't mind anything. I'm just offering a personal point of view. I operate with full transparency but why would I expect other people to do the same? It's their choice.

For clarity, I'm not saying that people are mean and arrogant and rude on this forum. I've always found this forum to have a wonderful benign tone, set by Ivar and his moderators. I'm talking generally about forums and blogs, and what I see as being an intrinsic issue with usernames. And as I say, I speak from personal experience. Bill

Here's the danger of using your real name. People can discover that you visited the Angkor Night Market in April 2012. It does not take the NSA to collect your personal information!;)

Edit: Oh, and I really enjoyed "The Nugget." A gem, pun intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Here's the danger of using your real name. People can discover that you visited the Angkor Night Market in April 2012. It does not take the NSA to collect your personal information!;)

I strongly agree with Falcon. Screen names are the best idea on an open forum.
I have no idea why billbennettoz is making the strong statement in opposition.

Please note that this is his personal opinion and not the norm for open forums.

I love your words. Totally inspiring. Thank you.

The internet can be a scary place. Stalkers and identity thieves love these open forums. Having experienced one of these horrors, I'll keep my shells and not show my face. "Transparency" on a public message board is just too frightening for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ive been online since 98 and own a popular genealogy website , once had a popular monthly newsletter/blog that was associated with my website that had 1,000s of subscribers until spammers invaded and I had to shut it down. My website has been attacked by malware , spyware, hardware ,software and scareware all kinds of "wares" and Ware-with-alls and it's cost me $1000s to defend myself .. I'm presently spending 1000s more to rebuild my database after the latest attack from Russia .

My name , address, life! is on the internet . I'm an open book . I accept that but I would not recommend today that anyone open their life and personal information to the www. There are viscious people that will happily misuse it. Ive learned how to defend myself the hard way .. I don't wish that learning experience on any of you .

Transparency has it's place... but not on the web.

Joe Bott
Springdale Ar
http://www.deadfred.com

Following a scare re identity theft/fraud we are very careful as to what we put on-line. No 'selfies', a forum user name and blog ID etc. We are also aware that we actually take names and photos on trust, which is sometimes misplaced. A made up user name can be an honest representation of the person :) although I do agree it is nice to see the face behind the names, and I respect the choice either way.
Sadly we will remain hidden by the 'trees'. At least last week, after the most recent problem, we knew the 'nasties' didn't have any photo ID.........now to deal with the nuisance phone calls; and thankfully none of it is forum related.

Good for you Jenny. So many people hide behind user names, and then they feel that gives them the right to be rude or arrogant or just plain mean. Let's see your name, let's see your picture. If you've got nothing to hide, then why hide? Stand behind what you say. Bill

says the pilgrim with an avatar of a waymarker! :):):):)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I love this post. It speaks a lot to me and overcoming my fears of not planning and sleeping out have great ripple effects. And the knee thrown in, well done.

If I were to use my given name it would take anyone just about 5 minutes to find my adress, my phone number, work place etc, not something that excites me.

There are a lot of nutters about and I would strongly advise especially females and anyone planning to leave their homes unattended for weeks NOT to use their full names o_O

For me...my forum name is similar to my own. But I wish I had been more creative when I first joined.

When I joined in 2011 I had quite a public role for work. I was sometimes on TV and newspapers. I wanted to keep my camino to myself. It took me 2years to eventually sign on to this forum. Before then I was a lurker.

I had thought my forum name was different enough but I had a work colleague track me to this forum through another forum member. (they are probably reading this now). It makes me think twice about writing some of my posts.

My role has changed now so im not so public....but I am a very private person and relish my privacy.

I had thought of creating a new profile; as I suspected some people where doing that. ....but have never gotten around to it....and even though you cant do that now.......I dont want to.

I am very grateful that Ivar doesnt require us to give our full names.:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lise T - if you write to Ivar he will change your user name for you (I think)

Can somebody find you using a real name and country or city? Olaf Erikson, Denmark, for instance? Jane Smith, London, etc ? Or is this just people being overly fearful?

Can somebody find you using a real name and country or city?
It can be fairly easy, and there is a lot more out there as well. You can find out what boots Bill Bennett bought, and what he thought of them!;)

Lise T - if you write to Ivar he will change your user name for you (I think)

Can somebody find you using a real name and country or city? Olaf Erikson, Denmark, for instance? Jane Smith, London, etc ? Or is this just people being overly fearful?

David you are so sweet. Thank you. I have thought of it.....but im ok with it now.

Its funny you should ask about can anyone track you down from your real name. I went on a company visit last week and when I arrived they told me they had google stalked me to check me out before I arrived. I was shocked and ashamed to say a tiny bit flattered. :confused:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
David, if you type a name into a search engine you can find a persons details, including last addresses etc, taken from the voting registers, unless you have ticked the opt out box. That is just for starters - scary.......
We seem to have strayed from the topic but while 'letting go' is important being 'wise to the ways of the world' is too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pay Pal is the most reputable company famous for its security.
Try getting a live human on the telephone when you have a problem with PayPal! I found them no more responsive than any bank. They are interested in their bottom line profit, not customer service, at least from my personal experience. Maybe the CRA and Royal Roads have had a different experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've had some bad experiences with people hiding behind user names. I believe in full transparency. My comments weren't intended to be harsh, and I'm sorry that you took them that way. Bill

That assumes that someone would use their real name.

I have had 3 really ugly experiences when using real names - trust me when I say that very few would use them if even one of these had happened to most people.

Let's not be naive at least.

It's probably about time to lock this thread. Ivar has already stated that there should be nothing to compel users of this forum to give their full details, and we seem to have drifted quite far from the original topic.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.