• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About that roadside walking....

B

BethC

It sounds like a good bit of the Camino Frances follows closely beside roads, and I know that some of the roads aren't heavily used, but does anyone have a guesstimate about how much of the time is spent walking ON the berms of roads on the Camino Frances from SJPP?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hmm, not sure about the percentage, but can only say that it was quite a lot. We were often close to a road on a senda or on the side of a road, sometimes very busy roads and sometimes not busy roads. There were green options at times though and this was nice. We always took the green option if it was practical to do so. We were a bit disappointed by the amount of road walking but nevertheless I have no regrets about walking the Camino Frances. It went throught lots of interesting villages and small towns.

Hmm, not sure about the percentage, but can only say that it was quite a lot. We were often close to a road on a senda or on the side of a road, sometimes very busy roads and sometimes not busy roads. There were green options at times though and this was nice. We always took the green option if it was practical to do so. We were a bit disappointed by the amount of road walking but nevertheless I have no regrets about walking the Camino Frances. It went throught lots of interesting villages and small towns.
Thanks, Lucy! That helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It sounds like a good bit of the Camino Frances follows closely beside roads, and I know that some of the roads aren't heavily used, but does anyone have a guesstimate about how much of the time is spent walking ON the berms of roads on the Camino Frances from SJPP?
Hi Beth , as already stated you can do the " green options " some times and they are very nice .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Hi! Yes, there are significant sections on paths beside the road, but not much actually on the road itself. Typically you're separated from the road by a drainage ditch. Parts that immediately spring to mind are after Sahagun and Villafranca, but there are alternatives to both. Buen Camino!

For what's it worth, the Brierley guidebook has the Camino 69.6% on dirt, 24.2% on or along secondary roads, and 6.2% on or along main roads. Many of those places where you are along secondary roads you have the ability to walk on dirt beside the pavement.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And my guestimate would be that of the 24.2% of secondary roads on only 10% you will see any significant traffic (besides pilgrims :))

Hi! Yes, there are significant sections on paths beside the road, but not much actually on the road itself. Typically you're separated from the road by a drainage ditch. Parts that immediately spring to mind are after Sahagun and Villafranca, but there are alternatives to both. Buen Camino!
Thanks so much for the specific information. I was worried mostly about the sections ON the road - a woman was killed by a car walking on the road earlier this year. I'l note those parts after Sahagun and Villafrance and use the alternatives.

In a walk between urban centers across the developed nation of Spain, it is not realistic to expect remote walking. Private land restricts most of the options. The easy and direct routes were oxcart paths that were later paved. Vehicles connect the towns and cities. Where busy roads can be avoided, the designated route has done an excellent job of marking the safest route. In most cases it will not be very far from a busy road. Dirt turns to mud in the rain, so some sections have been improved to senda. Some sections have been made wheelchair friendly. It is completely impossible to cross a city without using pavement.

It is pointless to be frustrated that the Camino is not the Appalachian Trail (which crosses thousands of roads, by the way). Spain loves the pilgrim money, but I don't think that pilgrims can expect Spain to disrupt its daily activities just for pilgrims.

If the question is about path surface so suitable footwear can be purchased, good question. If it is about the path not being remote enough, well it is a question about something that cannot be changed. :) It is what it is.
I said nothing about expecting that and am not frustrated in the least. I have suitable footwear, thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For what's it worth, the Brierley guidebook has the Camino 69.6% on dirt, 24.2% on or along secondary roads, and 6.2% on or along main roads. Many of those places where you are along secondary roads you have the ability to walk on dirt beside the pavement.
Thanks so much! I'd not seen that in Brierley and appreciate the information.

Thanks so much for the specific information. I was worried mostly about the sections ON the road - a woman was killed by a car walking on the road earlier this year. I'l note those parts after Sahagun and Villafrance and use the alternatives.
I may be wrong but I understood that the poor woman was killed crossing the road, not actually walking alongside it. The accident happened at a very confusing crossing on a very busy main road

I suspect that the wild animals say much the same thin about the humans taking THEIR trailsand turning them into human hiking trails over much of te world. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Even the bit beyond Sahagun is safely separated from the road if I remember correctly - it's just a long stretch near traffic. After Villafranca I think there's quite a long stretch with no physical separation if you chose the roadside route. I know awful accidents happen occasionally on the Camino Frances, but by and large it's pretty safe now. You may get some traffic beeping their horns to wish you well while on the stretches near major roads, so be ready to wave 'the pilgrims' blessing'!

Not Camino specific, but I do a good bit of road walking/hiking on country roads around home and I use a Nathan strobe light. It weighs about 1 ounce, is VERY bright, and can be easily seen day or night. For the most part we only use it when we are walking in the very early mornings or evenings. They clip onto your belt, pack, etc. http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=casaivar02-20

They are so bright that if walking with other people the person wearing the Nathan stobe walks at the BACK of the pack because anyone walking behind a person with one of these is both annoyed and blinded by these tiny little lights. I will be taking 1 on our upcoming Camino and will use it if we are road walking in the early mornings/evenings.

This is the specific model I use => http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099LSWYM/?tag=casaivar02-20

Walking on the road ( only short sale ction but no choice) through Villamoros today was a bit unnerving with fast trucks coming head on with no barrier, just a metre or so of hard shoulder.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not Camino specific, but I do a good bit of road walking/hiking on country roads around home and I use a Nathan strobe light. It weighs about 1 ounce, is VERY bright, and can be easily seen day or night. For the most part we only use it when we are walking in the very early mornings or evenings. They clip onto your belt, pack, etc. http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=casaivar02-20

They are so bright that if walking with other people the person wearing the Nathan stobe walks at the BACK of the pack because anyone walking behind a person with one of these is both annoyed and blinded by these tiny little lights. I will be taking 1 on our upcoming Camino and will use it if we are road walking in the early mornings/evenings.

This is the specific model I use => http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099LSWYM/?tag=casaivar02-20
Thanks for this. Have ordered one now instead of walking with my headlamp in my hand. Up here where I live we have pitch black in the winter so one of these would be perfect together with my hi-vis vest.

Walking on the road ( only short sale ction but no choice) through Villamoros today was a bit unnerving with fast trucks coming head on with no barrier, just a metre or so of hard shoulder.
A thousand thanks! That bus from Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon is looking better and better. I'm wishing that there are no more of those areas for you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Beth , as already stated you can do the " green options " some times and they are very nice .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .
Thanks very much, Peter. I'll take those recommendations gratefully. I wish you well also, and a Buen NEXT Camino.

Even the bit beyond Sahagun is safely separated from the road if I remember correctly - it's just a long stretch near traffic. After Villafranca I think there's quite a long stretch with no physical separation if you chose the roadside route. I know awful accidents happen occasionally on the Camino Frances, but by and large it's pretty safe now. You may get some traffic beeping their horns to wish you well while on the stretches near major roads, so be ready to wave 'the pilgrims' blessing'!
I think you are right about that bit on the road after Villafranca. I have just recently been reading about the it in Hape Kerkeling's book "I'm off then". There were two green routes to choose from too though. We chose the easier one and felt sorry for all the pilgrims we could see walking along the road or so it appeared to us from up high on our somewhat empty and very nice green route.

I think you are right about that bit on the road after Villafranca. I have just recently been reading about the it in Hape Kerkeling's book "I'm off then". There were two green routes to choose from too though. We chose the easier one and felt sorry for all the pilgrims we could see walking along the road or so it appeared to us from up high on our somewhat empty and very nice green route.
Just to be sure, we're talking about Villafranca Montes de Oca and not Villafranca del Bierzo, right? They both look very close to the road, but Villafranca Montes de Oca looks like it has a bit that touches the road.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to be sure, we're talking about Villafranca Montes de Oca and not Villafranca del Bierzo, right? They both look very close to the road, but Villafranca Montes de Oca looks like it has a bit that touches the road.
I was thinking of Villafranca del Bierzo where there is a long stretch of road where pilgrims look as if they are walking actually on it. Not sure how long it does go on for as we lost sight of it after awhile. I think it was an N road.

Yes, I was thinking about Bierzo too. There are a couple of hundred metres walking right on the road on the way into Villafranca MdO though, now you mention it.

I was thinking of Villafranca del Bierzo where there is a long stretch of road where pilgrims look as if they are walking actually on it. Not sure how long it does go on for as we lost sight of it after awhile. I think it was an N road.
I'll watch for both of them. I'm an old Trauma/Ortho/Neurosurgery nurse and have seen too much.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There was also a not very nice bit of road walking near Valcarce de Portela. It was not really long but there didn't seem to be any other options. I remember we were thinking this can't be right, surely we are not meant to walk here on this road but there did not seem to be an option. I think this was a place where you really need to take care, but like I said it was not too long. We stopped at an Albergue there on the main road as we had enough of that road walking. Nothing was that bad the next day, or thereafter as far as I recall.

i hope the road walking won't put you off, Beth. The Camino Frances is a wonderful experience despite the roads, and you sound like you will be very road aware. Some people wear luminous waistcoats or put something bright on their backpack. We did not do that but it is an idea and I believe that in Spain you are supposed to wear something luminous if you are on the road. Not sure if that is just in the evening or always. I think you can read about it on other places in this forum.

And does it ever touch the road. It's perhaps 150 meters, but in a curve with lots of trucks. There is actually a trucking stop/restaurant just outside of that curve. and then there is another bad curve between the albergues and the shops. Found these bits in Monte de Oca to be much more of a concern than wlaking along highways where at least you are seen and can see on coming trafic.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I was thinking about Bierzo too. There are a couple of hundred metres walking right on the road on the way into Villafranca MdO though, now you mention it.
i hope the road walking won't put you off, Beth. The Camino Frances is a wonderful experience despite the roads, and you sound like you will be very road aware. Some people wear luminous waistcoats or put something bright on their backpack. We did not do that but it is an idea and I believe that in Spain you are supposed to wear something luminous if you are on the road. Not sure if that is just in the evening or always. I think you can read about it on other places in this forum.
I appreciate the encouragement and that's a very good suggestion about the reflective/luminous things. I'd heard that if you get out of your CAR on the roadside in Spain that it was required by law to wear a reflective vest, so I guess they're serious about road safety. It's not enough to scare me off and I guess I'm too old to be abducted, so I'll try not to worry so much:0)). I'm glad your overall experience was meaningful and positive. Maybe like you, the most attractive part of doing it, to me, is the small towns and the church architecture and the monasteries and just being on a hike in Spain.

There was also a not very nice bit of road walking near Valcarce de Portela. It was not really long but there didn't seem to be any other options. I remember we were thinking this can't be right, surely we are not meant to walk here on this road but there did not seem to be an option. I think this was a place where you really need to take care, but like I said it was not too long. We stopped at an Albergue there on the main road as we had enough of that road walking. Nothing was that bad the next day, or thereafter as far as I recall.
OK, it's noted on the info I'm taking - and that there's an albergue on that main road. I'm very glad to have all this information!

Beth, I don't mean to alarm you, but you might take a look at this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lerting-pilgrims-of-hazardous-sections.20615/. I think it contains some useful information. One thing I would add is that if you see pilgrims crossing a narrow bridge on the wrong side (and it does happen), don't cross at the same time on the correct side - it will just narrow the space available for traffic.

I too, worried about having to watch out for cars before I arrived on the Camino, but I found when I got there that there were only a very few spots that extra special care had to be taken. Here in Canada, pedestrians are supposed to get the right of way. I never made that assumption while in Spain (I don't do it here either) but one of my companions made that assumption in León, and was roundly chastised by the Spanish driver when he stopped and got out of the car to do so!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And does it ever touch the road. It's perhaps 150 meters, but in a curve with lots of trucks. There is actually a trucking stop/restaurant just outside of that curve. and then there is another bad curve between the albergues and the shops. Found these bits in Monte de Oca to be much more of a concern than wlaking along highways where at least you are seen and can see on coming trafic.
Arghhhhhh! Wonder if I can run with my backpack:0)). I think someone else referenced this spot on another thread - it sounds nerve racking. That will be an excercise in "trusting the universe". Thank you for the information!

Hi Beth,
I can't give you any numbers but I can tell you that while my tolerance for roadside walking was exceeded during the first ten days on the Camino del Norte, it was rarely exceeded while walking the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago.

Hi Beth,
I can't give you any numbers but I can tell you that while my tolerance for roadside walking was exceeded during the first ten days on the Camino del Norte, it was rarely exceeded while walking the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago.
That's good news, Alyssa, and thanks. I stumbled upon your wonderful blog kind of by accident, and appreciate your very experienced input!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Actually that stretch alongside the road is separated from it by a very sturdy concrete barrier. And on a fine day it's a lovely walk - sun filtering through the shady trees and a babbling river to walk alongside. I walked it this Spring and it was a very pleasant day. There was also very little road traffic - much of the traffic from that route has been diverted onto the new autopista, and that has made a big difference. You have to cross in a couple of places if you want to stop in the villages along the way, but the road was so quiet when I was there that wasn't a problem at all.

I do agree about the stretch further up around Portela de Valcarce, but there's only a short distance you have to walk on the road, then you turn off again.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back