• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About the Camino del Cid

JLWV

Jean-Luc
Time of past OR future Camino
Levante (2014-2016); Levante to Toledo (2017-2018), to be continued; Fisterra & Muxia (2018);
Last thursday, July 2nd, during the zoom on Levante by Laurie, I named the Camino del Cid, and one participant lady asked about it. As I am not sure that my answer was clear enough (due to my bad english), here are some more information.
This is not a pilgrimage way, but and historical one, which goes along the route that followed Rodrigo Díaz, from Vivar (Burgos), surnamed El Cid. He was a 11th century's knight, and starts his war actions in Vivar, Burgos, and ends in Orihuela, Alicante, after a lot of loops along Castilla-León, Aragon, and the Comunidad Valenciana. His history, and legend, are the object of more than 20 works of theater, opera, and cinema. Maybe the better known is 'El Cid' with Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren, full of anachronisms and legend..
There is a good explanation about El Cid in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cid ,
and the way is very well described in http://www.caminodelcid.org/, with guides and official maps (1/25000)
This way shares segments with other routes, for example the Camino de Levante, the Camino de Sagunto...
It is homologated as GR160.
I join an overall map, and one sample of the maps (IGN) availables on their web.
Buen camino - Jean-luc

Attachments

• Detailed map sample.jpg
    Detailed map sample.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Camino del Cid.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, Jean-Luc,

The Camino San Olav between Covarrubias and Burgos also coincides with the Camino del Cid. Some of the forum posts in that sub-forum note the places where there is overlap. What Rebekah and I found when we walked was that frequently the Camino del Cid kept you on the road, whereas the San Olav took you off-road. This would make sense in light of Jean-Luc’s observation during the Zoom meeting that the Camino del Cid is primarily a camino for cars.

Thank you Jean-Luc for the resources!

I have an idea in my head of going southbound from Burgos, arriving in Valencia, and then heading north on Levante towards Santiago.

As the 'Camino del Cid' is a historical route, it is a rare opportunity to walk away from Galicia.
I just wouldn't feel right walking a Santiago de Compostella pilgrimage backwards. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have just visited the Camino del Cid website and it is a dream for long distance hikers. There are maps, route descriptions (in Spanish and English), GPS-tracks, accomodation lists, all kinds of tourist information, and so on. In fact there are four Cid Caminos: for cars, normal bikes, all terrain bikes and hikers, so it is not just a camino for cars.

Indeed, the Camino del Cid is not a pilgrimage road, but a long distance path, signposted by red and white GR signs, comparable with the Tour du Mont Blanc, the Pennine Way, the Rheinsteig or the Rota Vicentina. I really hope to go there once the Covid crisis is over allthough the Camino de la Lana is also on my wish list.

Thanks, Jean-Luc,

The Camino San Olav between Covarrubias and Burgos also coincides with the Camino del Cid. Some of the forum posts in that sub-forum note the places where there is overlap. What Rebekah and I found when we walked was that frequently the Camino del Cid kept you on the road, whereas the San Olav took you off-road. This would make sense in light of Jean-Luc’s observation during the Zoom meeting that the Camino del Cid is primarily a camino for cars.

the Camino Del Cid offical website https://en.caminodelcid.org/ has several downloadable gps track variations for walkers, mtb, gravel bikes, road cycles and even motos. I loved the journey when I cycled from Burgos to Calatayud late in 2018. I would like to complete the 850km of the journey from Calatayud to Orihuela later this year. Here are some photos I took on the trail.

2018111214222966-IMG_3396.jpg
Castle at Berlanga de Duero

2018111415300323-IMG_3491.jpg
‎⁨Atienza⁩ in the distance⁩

2018111821075326-IMG_3567.jpg
Parque Natural Alto Tajo, Mandayona, Castille-La Mancha

2018111821361350-IMG_3608.jpg‎⁨Luzón⁩, ⁨Castille-La Mancha⁩

2018111415474644-IMG_3466.jpg
a cold morning ‎⁨Retortillo de Soria⁩

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing this thread to our attention again, out of the archives so to speak. I recently watched the 2020 Spanish tv series El Cid (on amazon) and it sparked my interest. I was in Zamora just last month and Zamora was princess Urraca’s inheritance as one of Ferdinand 1 of León’s children. Although her story was romanticized in the tv series it made me pay much more attention to the history of Zamora.
I am planning my next Camino for October and will try to integrate some of the Camino El Cid. I’ll probably be walking Manresa Montserrat Zaragosa, and am fortunate in that my husband will meet me with the car at the end of my couple of weeks walking so we can then also do some of the car version of Camino El Cid In that area.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I went on an El Cid craze during the pandemic. I read several historical fiction book series on the Cid and read the book about the Camino El Cid. When I retire in a couple more years we will probably attempt the route.

We served as hospitaleros in Zamora and that made the El Cid readings more interesting to me I think.

Yes, I went on an El Cid craze during the pandemic. I read several historical fiction book series on the Cid and read the book about the Camino El Cid. When I retire in a couple more years we will probably attempt the route.

We served as hospitaleros in Zamora and that made the El Cid readings more interesting to me I think.
I’ve watched a few youtube videos and I’m all excited about this route. Also reading the descriptions of the different sections on the camino del Cid website, for example ”the three Taifas” for hikers, just sounds like my kind of camino! Next year perhaps…

A friend of mine, Ciaran Hogan, wrote a book about the Camino del Cid
There is an interview with Ciaran on the website:
We walked some of the Defensa del Sur in 2019. The first stage out of Valencia follows the Sureste to Xativa then heads through the Serra de Mariola from Ontinyent to Orihuela. We were foiled by heavy rain and illness, but really enjoyed the historic towns in this part of the world.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

As more people discover the Camino, the usual routes will become more crowded. Wanting a more spiritual/meditative pilgrimage, I have charted a more "rustic"/rural (anti-social?) route, but would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back