• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About the "Compostela" for Animals...

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
This issue comes up from time to time. Today, I came across this article in La Voz de Galicia / Santiago...

Use an online translator to translate into English. I use Chrome. So, I can right-click and select "Translate to English..."

The gist of the article is that the "Protective Association of Animais do Camiño (APACA) launched a credential for companion animals last year..." It is available at their offices in Santiago de Compostela.

NOTE: this is a private organization that has NO standing or connection to the Cathedral Pilgrim Office. While this might be a good and worthwhile program, it does not have any connection with the official Compostela process.

For reference, here is the official website of APACA:

All of this said, I personally strongly discourage bringing your animals on Camino with you. Facilities for housing are nil. Moreover, if the typical Camino from Saint Jean Pied de Port is about 800 km, and takes perhaps one million or more paces (at 80 cm / avg each) to accomplish, how many steps does that translate to for your little buddy? If you think about it, even a very large dog will have to make three to four MILLION dog-sized steps to cover the same ground. I don't even want to think about the wear and tear on a terrier or other small dog, a cat, or what have you. IMHO, this amounts to cruelty.

Most dogs will follow their owners into hell and back out of blind loyalty. That is why we love them. But, they will remain loyal even while suffering untold pain and discomfort from cuts, sprains, worn paws, parasites, etc. Bringing them on Camino may please you, but it causes unneeded pain and discomfort for your loyal friend. Just THINK first. That is all I ask.

Please do not bring your pets on Camino. Thanks.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is interesting. APACA refuses the credencial if the animal is not in good health. The focus, for APACA is on the well being of the animals. They handed out two credencials to dogs who had to break off their Camino due to health reasons. That is, the owners broke off the camino when they saw their pets were at risk.

This issue comes up from time to time. Today, I came across this article in La Voz de Galicia / Santiago...

Use an online translator to translate into English. I use Chrome. So, I can right-click and select "Translate to English..."

The gist of the article is that the "Protective Association of Animais do Camiño (APACA) launched a credential for companion animals last year..." It is available at their offices in Santiago de Compostela.

NOTE: this is a private organization that has NO standing or connection to the Cathedral Pilgrim Office. While this might be a good and worthwhile program, it does not have any connection with the official Compostela process.

All of this said, I personally strongly discourage bringing your animals on Camino with you. Facilities for housing are nil. Moreover, if the typical Camino from Saint Jean Pied de Port is about 800 km, and takes perhaps one million or more paces (at 80 cm / avg each) to accomplish, how many steps does that translate to for your little buddy? If you think about it, even a very large dog will have to make three to four MILLION dog-sized steps to cover the same ground. I don't even want to think about the wear and tear on a terrier or other small dog, a cat, or what have you. IMHO, this amounts to cruelty.

Most dogs will follow their owners into hell and back out of blind loyalty. That is why we love them. But, they will remain loyal even while suffering untold pain and discomfort from cuts, sprains, worn paws, parasites, etc. Bringing them on Camino may please you, but it causes unneeded pain and discomfort for your loyal friend. Just THINK first. That is all I ask.

I completely agree about bringing animals. This “credentials” is all about the ego of the human owner. It has no relevance or worth for the animal. It is a gimmick.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I completely agree about bringing animals. This “credentials” is all about the ego of the human owner. It has no relevance or worth for the animal. It is a gimmick.

No need for any well informed and sensible pilgrim to p*ss on the hard work of volunteers who did neither cause nor invent the problem but instead are tryng to create awareness and offer a solution.

FYI, the article in La Voz de Galicia in translation:
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...al-mascotas-peregrinas/0003_201906S3C5991.htm

Pilgrim Pet Credential
Apaca wants to promote responsible behavior with the animals that walk the Camino together with their owners.

SJ3C5F1_1.jpg

Many are the dogs that walk with their owners along the hundreds of kilometres of the Pilgrim's Camino to Santiago, and many are also those that join the pilgrim at some point on the route to end up abandoned in Santiago or lost in any of the localities on the routes to Compostela. In order to raise awareness about the good treatment of animals, and especially those who travel the Camino de Santiago, the Asociación Protectora de Animais do Camiño (Apaca) launched last year a credential for pets.
In its first year of life, more than five hundred credentials were sold, and four hundred diplomas were awarded to dogs that finished the Camino in "boas condicións físicas e despois de recibir un trato adecuado" [ in good physical condition and after receiving an appropriate treatment. ] This year, the initiative continues to grow, and so far this year 63 compostelas were given to dogs, and the first one to a cat. This is Osiris, a feline who made a pilgrimage with Marcelo, a young man from Madrid living in Cáceres who traveled with his cat the Camino Francés last May.

SJ3C2F5_201950.jpg

The animal credential follows a similar rule to that of human pilgrims, and as in the official one, it is necessary to have stamps from different places on the Camino. The only difference is that for those responsible fat Apaca it is not enough to have the stamps. Before giving the diploma, the animal is checked and the Compostela is not given when it is detected that it has not been cared for or received the proper attention.

Raquel Freiria, spokeswoman for Apaca, insisted that the goal is "to raise awareness about responsible behaviour when pilgrims walk the Camiño accompanied by their pets. All the dogs that finished the Camino together with their "human pilgrims, and who fulfilled the conditions of treatment that we demand at Apaca, receive the animal compostela," explains Olalla Raquel Freiría. Even two certificates were given to two dogs that "did not reach the finish line, because the people decided to leave the Camiño when they saw their pets were at risk."

One of the recommendations made by Apaca is to set "dog and non-human goals". Raquel considers that the prefixed stages in the Camino are designed for people, and they are not always the right ones for pets.

One of the main problems with animal pilgrimages is that "you don't always get pets into shelters, and in some cases you have to sleep outdoors to be able to do the Camino together with your pets," says Rachel. Little by little, the attitude of the hosts changes, and "they accept that it is better that they sleep in the room so that, for example, they do not bark during the night", comments the spokeswoman of Apaca. References collected from pilgrims travelling with their pets are included on the association's website, where "you can consult information about shelters that have a good practice with pets" and other experiences are exchanged. Freiría recommends those travelling with dogs or cats to plan the Camino in advance, to "avoid unpleasant surprises".

63 Pilgrim dogs
Number of dogs that obtained the credential this year.

1 Pilgrim cat
It is the first credential granted to a feline.

400 Canine compostelas awarded last year (2018)

Really well said. Thank you, if I may, on behalf of all those loving loyal dogs. I have seen one on Camino Porto. While the owner was enjoying all the attention, the little dog was suffering in hot 90 plus degree temperature. The little dog was not wearing hiking boots. Can you imagine walking on hot black asphalt barefoot? The dog's tail was down but the owner didn't seem to notice that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The winter we walked a pilgrim who had a Golden Retriever service animal. If she did not have the animal she wouldn't have walked. The service animal was Dr. prescribed for her anxiety disorder. Sher told us that with a letter from her Dr. she was not turned away from anyplace. The dog was well trained and well behaved.

The winter we walked a pilgrim who had a Golden Retriever service animal. If she did not have the animal she wouldn't have walked. The service animal was Dr. prescribed for her anxiety disorder. Sher told us that with a letter from her Dr. she was not turned away from anyplace. The dog was well trained and well behaved.
[/QUOTE
Well, this is a different situation, but I think the owners should really think about how the Camino could be a hardship to the dogs, especially little ones.

No need for any well informed and sensible pilgrim to p*ss on the hard work of volunteers who did neither cause nor invent the problem but instead are tryng to create awareness and offer a solution.

FYI, the article in La Voz de Galicia in translation:
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...al-mascotas-peregrinas/0003_201906S3C5991.htm

Pilgrim Pet Credential
Apaca wants to promote responsible behavior with the animals that walk the Camino together with their owners.

SJ3C5F1_1.jpg

Many are the dogs that walk with their owners along the hundreds of kilometres of the Pilgrim's Camino to Santiago, and many are also those that join the pilgrim at some point on the route to end up abandoned in Santiago or lost in any of the localities on the routes to Compostela. In order to raise awareness about the good treatment of animals, and especially those who travel the Camino de Santiago, the Asociación Protectora de Animais do Camiño (Apaca) launched last year a credential for pets.
In its first year of life, more than five hundred credentials were sold, and four hundred diplomas were awarded to dogs that finished the Camino in "boas condicións físicas e despois de recibir un trato adecuado" [ in good physical condition and after receiving an appropriate treatment. ] This year, the initiative continues to grow, and so far this year 63 compostelas were given to dogs, and the first one to a cat. This is Osiris, a feline who made a pilgrimage with Marcelo, a young man from Madrid living in Cáceres who traveled with his cat the Camino Francés last May.

SJ3C2F5_201950.jpg

The animal credential follows a similar rule to that of human pilgrims, and as in the official one, it is necessary to have stamps from different places on the Camino. The only difference is that for those responsible fat Apaca it is not enough to have the stamps. Before giving the diploma, the animal is checked and the Compostela is not given when it is detected that it has not been cared for or received the proper attention.

Raquel Freiria, spokeswoman for Apaca, insisted that the goal is "to raise awareness about responsible behaviour when pilgrims walk the Camiño accompanied by their pets. All the dogs that finished the Camino together with their "human pilgrims, and who fulfilled the conditions of treatment that we demand at Apaca, receive the animal compostela," explains Olalla Raquel Freiría. Even two certificates were given to two dogs that "did not reach the finish line, because the people decided to leave the Camiño when they saw their pets were at risk."

One of the recommendations made by Apaca is to set "dog and non-human goals". Raquel considers that the prefixed stages in the Camino are designed for people, and they are not always the right ones for pets.

One of the main problems with animal pilgrimages is that "you don't always get pets into shelters, and in some cases you have to sleep outdoors to be able to do the Camino together with your pets," says Rachel. Little by little, the attitude of the hosts changes, and "they accept that it is better that they sleep in the room so that, for example, they do not bark during the night", comments the spokeswoman of Apaca. References collected from pilgrims travelling with their pets are included on the association's website, where "you can consult information about shelters that have a good practice with pets" and other experiences are exchanged. Freiría recommends those travelling with dogs or cats to plan the Camino in advance, to "avoid unpleasant surprises".

63 Pilgrim dogs
Number of dogs that obtained the credential this year.

1 Pilgrim cat
It is the first credential granted to a feline.

400 Canine compostelas awarded last year (2018)
A. If you think that was pissing on someone please give me a break.
B. You want to know a better way to promote animal safety etc on the Camino tell people to leave their pets at home. It is not good for anyone especially the pet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back