• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About to start my first Camino. Eek!

Sissy010

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting my first October 21 from Leon, Spain.
I’m an Ottawa, ON, Canadian who will start my first Camino on October 23rd from Leon, Spain. I’m a bit nervous but much more excited. I hope to meet lots of you along the way. Butterflies in my stomach like mad. Loving your posts and appreciating the tips.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Make sure you have the proper shoes. We started October 1st and I know of three people, to include one person from our group that flew back home because of foot issues. Trekking poles is a must. Had two rainy days and they our ass!

Make sure you have the proper shoes. We started October 1st and I know of three people, to include one person from our group that flew back home because of foot issues. Trekking poles is a must. Had two rainy days and they our ass!
Thanks for the advice Rogelio. I invested in a pair of Hanwag hiking boots so I should be good to go. I wasn’t considering walking poles but now I will. I’m still absorbing as much info as possible so I appreciate your advice.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know it can be scary as there is so much unknown. This is my first time and I have now been on the trail for five weeks, in Portomarin now, and you will thank yourself later for doing this. The first week I questioned why I was doing this since it was so hard, but it got better and became a painful pleasure.

I know it can be scary as there is so much unknown. This is my first time and I have now been on the trail for five weeks, in Portomarin now, and you will thank yourself later for doing this. The first week I questioned why I was doing this since it was so hard, but it got better and became a painful pleasure.

Way to go, Mark! I will be on my first Camino in November.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wow, 5 weeks is amazing. Thank you for your words of wisdom Mark. I plan to push through to the end. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the advice Rogelio. I invested in a pair of Hanwag hiking boots so I should be good to go. I wasn’t considering walking poles but now I will. I’m still absorbing as much info as possible so I appreciate your advice.
Got my poles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the forum and do allow the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to fall into place along the Camino !!!

Buen Camino !

Thanks Bob. I’m stressing about not booking everything in advance. I hope to learn to figure out how to relax about not knowing where the pieces will fall and trusting that they’ll fall into proper place along My Way.
Oh, I'm so envious! The unknown will all soon be well known. That's a perfect distance and time of year that you have planned. Beam me up with you, Sissy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do not believe you will have many "issues" finding places to stay this late in the year. Either way make this your own adventure in life, relax and enjoy !

I’m an Ottawa, ON, Canadian who will start my first Camino on October 23rd from Leon, Spain. I’m a bit nervous but much more excited. I hope to meet lots of you along the way. Butterflies in my stomach like mad. Loving your posts and appreciating the tips.
Buen Camino Sissy010 Enjoy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back