Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About to walk Camino de Invierno

marji

Time of past OR future Camino
yes
Hola from Leon!
I aim to make it to Pontferrada in the not too distant future...(I am not in a hurry)....the weather has been really wonderful and the albergues are nearly always, <´completo<
Sounds like the reverse on the invierno?
Are municipales all open in the towns listed on this camino?
My Spanish is non existant and my budget is for this style of accommodation.
Just wondering whether I should make the switch or stay on Camino Frances.
I also plan to walk to Muxia
Off to behold the gothic cathedral ... :mrgreen: Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I believe that there are albergues in O Barco and A Rua but these are not municipal, or not A Rua anyway. The next one is Laxe. I crossed over from Chantada and went to Oseira. Once you get onto the Via de la Plata there is no problem with Albergues but the Invierno has very few. There are places to stay though but not at Albergue prices. You are likely to find you don't see any one at all and the people you see will only speak spanish.

thanks so much for your reply. the only one!!! (which pretty much says it all)
I will stay on the Camino Frances. I am not so sure how to switch to via de la plata...and I will simply endure the busy nights..but who knows, I may well have some space as there are more albergues on this Way.
I also love 0 cebreiro and so all is not lost.... :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
[I am not so sure how to switch to via de la plata.../quote]

Sorry I was not very explicit. The Camino de Invierno joins the Via de la Plata near Lalin, then the 2 run together. There are caminos that lead north off the Frances but I don't know where, one goes from Leon I think.
Probably the only way of getting to the Via de la Plata, from the Frances, would be to leave at Astorga and follow the signs backwards to join near Puerto de Sanabria. I've no idea how you would do that, it would need careful planning I think.
If you really don't want to walk from Sarria it may be possible to get the bus to Lugo and then walk from there. Again it is not a route that I have done. I think it maybe the Camino del Norte :?: or the Primitivo :?: Someone may come up with some info.
If not just try and enjoy the crowds :)
Sue

Thanks Sue. Good to be clear on the unclearness of this route! Adios from sun-filled Spain...

The lack of replies is down to the fact this is a very little used route. There is no rush like one gets on say the Camino Frances. Personally I feel you are going to miss out on a wonderful, unspoilt, uncrowded route.
The weather forecast is for change this coming weekend, heavy rain with the possibility of thunderstorms. :cry:
If you do change your mind I hope you will download the guide written by Rebekah Scott and peregrina2000? It is full of useful tips, but may need some updating in a few places.
camino-de-invierno/topic9861.html
The following information may also be of help.
camino-de-invierno/topic14918.html
Some news on the Quiroga albergue.
camino-de-invierno/topic17302.html
Most of the way marking is there now so there should be no real need to get lost.
There are a few of us who do speak English and some other languages on this route.
I think peregrina2000 is presently walking a different route, so she may not respond to this thread.
Let us know about your progress. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
aww, do not tempt me with a short-cut to oseira, I am planning primitivo for the next project, and that's totally off the track! maybe I should go back there. hmm...
but, is there a less road-y alternative possible?

there are now only three albergues proper on invierno, xagoaza (near o barco), villamartin and a rua/fontei, and a laxe which is already on via de la plata. it's possible to sleep in most sports complexes = polideportivos, but you must call ahead and they might be occupied till late (borrenes, puente domingo flores, o barco, a rua, monforte, chantada, rodeiro, lalin). otherwise there are hostales for about 20-30 for one person.

this can also be useful:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-de-invierno/topic16066.html

Thanks kindly for the links and replies...I am in Pontferrada and no thunderstorms as yet!
Pity about the lack of pilgrims and subsequent albergues for this, ¨way¨..Tourist info has confirmed closure of refugios for pilgrims on invierno
Will stay on Camino Frances amid the many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back