• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Abuela on the meseta

Caminomary525

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
After walking Roncevalles to Logrono at age 68 in 2013, Logrono to Burgos in 2014 and Sarria to Santiago in 2015 to be with St. James on my 70th birthday, I want to go back to the Camino and do stretches I haven't walked before. I hope to walk from Burgos to Sahagun in October. The sparseness of the meseta has me a trifle concerned. So

1) is there mochila transport on the meseta?

2) if I don't want to do the 17.5 km between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza, is a ride hard to arrange? Bus or taxi?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Caminomary525:

There is pack transport the entire Frances and also bus and/or taxi service. That said, I think you will be missing a beautiful part of the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There are transport services on the Meseta such as the Spanish Post Office/Correos or Jacotrans.

There is no bus between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza but you could arrange a taxi at
Carrion de los Condes.

Following an old Roman road, the Via Trajana, part of this perfectly straight section of Camino is paved. 2004 when I first walked there was nothing but fields of grain and me. Lonesome I waved to a tractor across the distant fields. After 16 km which seemed endless I reached the tiny hamlet of Calzadilla de la Cueza. I stopped at the pleasant, private albergue. Nearby was the only restaurant. A man eating at the table next to mine smiled. “Oh it’s you!” he said. He then explained to his wife that he had seen me earlier while riding his tractor. Small world, indeed!

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One of the things I enjoyed about the meseta going to Calzadilla de la Cueza was, after lots of wondering when we would get to the town, it just magically appeared. The road to there was level [Edit: bad memory on my part. See my next post below.] but the village is below your sight-line at the drop of a hill. You don't see it until you are there.

Last edited:
One of the things I enjoyed about the meseta going to Calzadilla de la Cueza was, after lots of wondering when we would get to the town, it just magically appeared. The road to there was level but the village is below your sight-line at the drop of a hill. You don't see it until you are there.

Sounds like Hontanas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You got me wondering just how similar they were. I created elevation profiles. Looks like my memory is going on me. My remembered "level road" was about 16 km of 4% uphill grade.
View attachment 32883

Rick:

The only place I recall just appearing is Hontanas. It comes after San Bol, the hippie place. I remember it because it was a rainy, mud slog of a day and out of nowhere Hontanas appeared. You almost fall into it.

The section after Carrion is pretty flat and a long gap between towns with a picnic area about half way. That said, I am a senior citizen and have memory lapses on occasion.

Ultreya,
Joe

If you think you can, the walk through the mesetas is really nice (as long as you like straight roads and spares semi-arid). It's different from any other stretch. 17.5 is a good distance but the only hard part I found was just keeping my mind on track. The walk was easy but pretty boring. Thinking about the Roman legions walking this back in the early years really puts it into perspective. They didn't have a nice peregrino meal waiting for them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Caminomary525 ,
I avoided that stretch the first time I walked the Camino but the 2nd time, a year later on my 70th birthday, I walked from Carrion to Calzadilla, and wondered why I avoided it the first time. It was a nice day, a bit windy, clear after some morning showers. Not many people walking so lots of time for contemplative mind wandering. Now, 2 ½
years later I think the 20 km from Fromista to Carrion is MUCH less interesting! There ARE places to stop for food, cafe con leche, etc on that senda. But there are picnic tables in several sports along the senda between Carrion and Calzadilla. No real toilet facilities, however. There may be someone with a coffee stand along the way, but maybe not in October. It really is a nice walk, and I would suggest you think more about trying it. Or you could ask a taxi driver if he would consider taking you part way. Or share a taxi with other walkers, and ask to get out if you think you might enjoy the walk. I will be doing it again in late May, and am really forward to it!!
Buen Camino
Terry

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.