• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Access to water on the Camino Portugues

Laurel from Oregon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
Dear friends, We are walking just a portion of the route and will end our five day hike in Tomar. My biggest concern is access to clean water. Is this a problem? I hate to buy plastic bottles. My group of four is very excited about the trip. I hike but I do not generally walk 12 miles a day. I am hoping that the route is fairly easy but, just in case, I know the train stops and times. Thanks for your help. Laurel from Oregon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lyle here and I lived in Ashland for 20 years! Take a BPA free water bottle.You can buy one on Amazon or any outdoor shop. You can get one that will cost 7 or 8 dollars.
Or spring for a bladder. I walked the Portugues last year from Lisbon. Check your distances from town to town. It could be hot. You may be forced to buy a plastic bottle you can always reuse it. Also the Portugues people are about the kindest and generous people on earth. You can always knock on a door or ask people will help you! Buen Camino and Tomar is lovely

Dear friends, We are walking just a portion of the route and will end our five day hike in Tomar. My biggest concern is access to clean water. Is this a problem? I hate to buy plastic bottles. My group of four is very excited about the trip. I hike but I do not generally walk 12 miles a day. I am hoping that the route is fairly easy but, just in case, I know the train stops and times. Thanks for your help. Laurel from Oregon.
Laurel I am walking it now and have replenished my water from the tap. Have not had to buy one single plastic bottle in Portugal yet. However, the stages are longer than 12 Miles, some stages before Tomar are 20 Miles. Bring walking shoes bigger than usual size-may be good idea if you are not used to walking more than 12 Miles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurel I am walking it now and have replenished my water from the tap. Have not had to buy one single plastic bottle in Portugal yet. However, the stages are longer than 12 Miles, some stages before Tomar are 20 Miles. Bring walking shoes bigger than usual size-may be good idea if you are not used to walking more than 12 Miles.
Thanks. This is helpful. I set our days at 12 miles and was able to find housing at the end of each day. I did not want to have to press every day to get to our destination. I know we will not get very far in five days but I am hoping it was be a very good experience.

Lyle here and I lived in Ashland for 20 years! Take a BPA free water bottle.You can buy one on Amazon or any outdoor shop. You can get one that will cost 7 or 8 dollars.
Or spring for a bladder. I walked the Portugues last year from Lisbon. Check your distances from town to town. It could be hot. You may be forced to buy a plastic bottle you can always reuse it. Also the Portugues people are about the kindest and generous people on earth. You can always knock on a door or ask people will help you! Buen Camino and Tomar is lovely
Thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back