• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Accident today involving Pilgrims at Santa Irene

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago

latch24

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, September 2013
Hi all,

There was an accident today where two pilgrims looked like they had been hit by a car at Santa Irene around 2.00-2.30pm today, Friday 20 Sept. they were being taken away by ambulance & helicopter.

I had to walk right past them and it was incredibly upsetting to see and think of their walk ending so badly. I wanted to find out if anyone knows how they are? If they are okay? Is there any information out there? I tried to search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,

There was an accident today where two pilgrims looked like they had been hit by a car at Santa Irene around 2.00-2.30pm today, Friday 20 Sept. they were being taken away by ambulance & helicopter.

I had to walk right past them and it was incredibly upsetting to see and think of their walk ending so badly. I wanted to find out if anyone knows how they are? If they are okay? Is there any information out there? I tried to search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...lados-camion-pino/00031379694521792286423.htm

It appears both were German pilgrims - both males and both appeared to have died later in hospital

This is the Google translated text from one of the news sites

Two German pilgrims have died after being hit by a truck in O Pino, according to sources from the Civil Guard.

The victims were two men. HR, 43 years old, and LWG, 49, who had been admitted this afternoon at Santiago University Hospital in extremely serious condition. Both suffered severe head trauma and multiple injuries after being run over by the vehicle on the road N-547, which connects Santiago with Melide, height O pilgrim hostel Pedrouzo, located in the parish of Arca.

The accident took place shortly before three in the afternoon and it was necessary to deploy emergency helicopter to take quickly the medical team went to meet the two men. Later, the pilgrims were taken by emergency ambulance to the University Hospital of Santiago (CHUS) where they died.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So very sad to hear this tragic news.

So tragic. Prayers for their souls' eternal rest.

So very sad to read this news.....thinking of their families and friends.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thoughts and prayers with their families and also their fellow Pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So very sad.

If this is the area near Santa Irene hostel, I remember I wasn't sure which arrow to follow and took the tunnel under the highway over to the hostel, only to find to continue on I had to cross back over the highway. A Pilgrim in front of me nearly got hit by a car crossing over and then I also had difficulty crossing it. If they could add a bit of extra signage near the tunnel more Pilgrims won't unnecessarily go through the tunnel and end up out on the highway. Just a thought. Anything to prevent more tragedies like this :-(

Rest peacefully dear Pilgrims. Prayers for your families and loved ones.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So sorry for this german pilgrims! My best condolences for their family and friends.
That point of the Camino is a dangerous one, i encourage everyone to be very careful when crossing roads and walking on them.
May rest in peace.

It appears both were German pilgrims - both males and both appeared to have died later in hospital

This is the Google translated text from one of the news sites

Two German pilgrims have died after being hit by a truck in O Pino, according to sources from the Civil Guard.

The victims were two men. HR, 43 years old, and LWG, 49, who had been admitted this afternoon at Santiago University Hospital in extremely serious condition. Both suffered severe head trauma and multiple injuries after being run over by the vehicle on the road N-547, which connects Santiago with Melide, height O pilgrim hostel Pedrouzo, located in the parish of Arca.

The accident took place shortly before three in the afternoon and it was necessary to deploy emergency helicopter to take quickly the medical team went to meet the two men. Later, the pilgrims were taken by emergency ambulance to the University Hospital of Santiago (CHUS) where they died.

Thank you for the post...
I am so saddened by the loss of our Camino brothers. God bless their souls. What a tragedy...hoping they did not suffer. Prayers of compassion for their family and friends. May we all be extra careful while crossing roads. God bless all the pilgrims walking and riding now...
Bozzie
Aka Dee Anne

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Such terrible news. So sorry to hear this. My heart hurts for their families.

The latest report is that "initial investigations suggest that the pilgrims walking properly when they were hit by the truck, but it will be packed with the Traffic Police which will clarify the circumstances in which the tradgedy occurred."

Tragic news, my condolences to their family and friends. I have seen the many signs accros the Camino and always makes you wonder. May they rest in peace.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is always safer to face oncoming traffic than have it coming up from behind. I've often seen pilgrims walking two or three abreast with the traffic behind them. Please face the traffic and stay safe. Two pilgrims are dead, and a truck driver will have to live with that for the rest of his life.

Oh dear, this is so sad to read. May the two pilgrims rest in peace. The poor truck driver must also be distraught. My own feeling is that at least they died doing something they enjoyed, but it does put a pall on everything. It is so important for us all to remember that we are sharing the roads and paths with others. Please, everybody, stay safe.

To the original poster ... continue on..... you may be traumatized.. recognize that,,, talk to others ... and continue on...... we all make our own choices when we walk the Camino OR any path in Life... that is why it is called LIFE XXXXX

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Such sad news. The Sisters of the Order of St. Andrew are praying for the peaceful repose of their eternal souls ; and that the Pilgrims' families and loved ones may be comforted in their grief and pain.

I am saddened by their death, so close to santiago and to have this happened practically right at the gate to the tomb of saint james. May they rest in peace. I hope the pilgrim office will issue compostelas to them in memory of their caminos.

Be very careful about this stretch of the road, i walked this part last year in extremely heavy rain.

God bless and buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is heartbreaking. I hope they caught who did this! Is this sort of thing common along the Camino? It doesn't seem to be.

What is surprising is that this does not happen more often. The cars on the camino do not slow down. In the villages they drive very aggressively. They seem to have no regard for the pilgrims walking. It gets worst on dirt roads when they race past you spurting out dust and stones.

This news has reduced me to tears. Such a far reaching tragedy. My thoughts are with their families and also with the driver and their family.
An exhortation to live each day to the fullest! Cape diem.
My thoughts are also with each peregrinos passing this place on the walk.

This is truly tragic, but heeding the advice to walk facing the oncoming traffic is at times impossible. This particular stretch of roadway and pathway combined is fairly narrow, there are some blind curves heading through St. Irene towards Arcos and the trucks and cars seemingly pay no attention to the speed limits or pilgrims walking near the road. The shoulder on the left side of that road is non-existent for a short distance, so my advice would be to space oneself as far away as possible from your fellow hikers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Heartbreaking news-- just the fact that these were fellow pilgrims makes the news tremendously sad and devastating. My prayers and thoughts are with them and families.

This particular stretch of roadway and pathway combined is fairly narrow, there are some blind curves heading through St. Irene towards Arcos and the trucks and cars seemingly pay no attention to the speed limits or pilgrims walking near the road. The shoulder on the left side of that road is non-existent for a short distance...

So, perhaps it is time to separate the pilgrims' footpath from the roadway. Perhaps the pilgrims association, and/or the office in Santiago, can provide encouragement and volunteers to make this happen.

Thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families and friends, as well as to the driver and family.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kitsambler, I wonder how we could make that happen? You can't expect some almighty authority to take charge of our safety, so I ask should there be some sort of "pilgrim's tax" to pay for the improvements, upkeep and our safety along the path? The Roman's did that as well as the Knights Templar, so what's stopping the pilgrim offices in SJPdP or Santiago from imposing a levy for each kilometer walked before handing out the passport or the Compostela in an effort to fund a program to stop needless deaths like this. I would think that another 20 to 50 Euros wouldn't break the bank for the 100,000+ pilgrims who take advantage of this "freebie" experience every year. Heresy, I can hear it now:mad:.

Words cannot convey the sorrow I feel for the loss of these two pilgrims. I can only pray for them and for support and strength for their love ones.
God bless them.

So heartbreaking! My prayers that the hearts and minds of their families, friends and fellow pilgrims will be healed by the loving hand of God.
To my fellow pilgrims- be careful out there! Continue your walk, walk for those no longer able. Blessings to each and every one of you. Ulteria!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for the information - I completed my Camino today and it was bittersweet. Many prayers for the families, pilgrims who witnessed and helped and the emergency workers were said today as I walked the final kms. The section into Santa Irene is confusing and unnecessarily crosses under the road however it's happened and I have to be thankful for my safety from Burgos to SDC. I hope future and current pilgrims, in their tiredness, remain safe along the roads.

Prayers, God's graces, and strength of faith to all those involved.

My faith trusts completely that He does all things with an infinitely superior knowledge for what is best which I could never question.

Mourn, give thanks, and always remember to make every moment in life fruitful. Those two peregrinos would've wanted this from us.

...march onward and Buen Camino!

I also have walked this path 3 times and knew it was dangerous, we also stayed on the wrong side for a distance as we thought we could get back across?. We also told others about the tunnel leading to the hostel and having to come back, but you should come back via the tunnel also. Some more arrows and signs should now be possible as in all "black spots". For those involved we pray, I will ask for a prayer tomorrow at our Mass for these pilgrims and their families.
Be careful in each step you take but trust in god as pilgrims on the path of life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with above posts. I'd always considered that the most dangerous aspect of the Camino (apart from Pamplona!) was drinking to much vino tinto and not being able to find your alberge. Road safety is a major concern, especially on those very narrow, but heavily trafficed roads. My sympathies to the families of these men.

Ivar - thanks for setting up to "hazardous section" - it should help, especially the bikers who go just that little bit too fast. Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very tragic news. My prayers for family, friends, fellow pilgrims walking at the moment and the driver. Praying that they will rest in the arms of God and find some rest in this raging storm in their lives. Thank you fellow prilgrims for the warning of the hazzard in that area, I am about to head out on my first Camino. I start 29th Oct, I am excited and concerned at the same time. I am 58 and going to give it a go.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back