• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accomadation in Valcarlos

sgilker

Can any one give information about possible places to stay in Valcarlos. It would make an easy first day from St Jean if something were available.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Valcarlos

There is reputed to be a refugio but not much info on in.

There is the Marcelino restaurant but the review by a vegitarian below does not encourage one much.
c/Elizaldea,1
Valcarlos-Luzaide
Tel: 948 79 01 86
"This restaurant in Navarra is a fine example of a lovely place you want to take your favourite mother in law to.(your only one hopefully). When you get there and ask for a table you will be taken to another room where a receptionist will hand you the keys to a bedroom, and even though you are saying no no no she will say yes yes yes. Eventually she may understand you want a table, and with a mood she will ask you to follow her and stick you at a table at the back. From there she will not answer questions on the menu, never take the order and when the order will come you will be delighted to find on your plate a concoction of tin food, processed food and disgusting bought stuff in salad dressing. The menu is already 90% meat, and the fish is cooked with bacon... The service was not very nice, the bread hard, etc etc. A great place to show your mother in law! Unfortunately I still have to see the talent of the Basques for cooking.... This time we didn't see it!"

Perhaps the Hostal Maitena is a better bet http://tinyurl.com/9azuz

Valcarlos

We stayed in the first 'Casa' as you enter Valcarlos. Lovely lady who owns the house and very comfortable rooms for about Euro30 - doubles.

Casa Marcelino Tel 948 79 01 37

Syl

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Valcarlos

Hi again,

There are two places in Valcarlos according to my 2005 list.

Casa Marcelino Tel 948 79 01 86

Andiko Berri Tel 948 79 01 37

Good luck,

Sil

I stayed in casa marcelino, which was very nice.
The young lady behind the desk was very helpful although I spoke no spanish and she nothing else.
She showed me how to open the doors so I could leave before the hotel opened again in the morning, which was very kind.
The room itself was newly furnished, relatively cheap and very good.

There is another casa right across the street where you can also book rooms, the only thing I can tell you about them is that they have great food.

I didn't see any refugio though.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.