• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation at Start of Camino de Madrid.

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
Given so much has changed since COVID began we are looking for recommendations of recent accommodation experiences close to the begin of the Camino de Madrid, ie the Church of St James and St John the Baptist.
TIA 🙏🏼

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My partner and I use booking.com to get a room so that we can have a good night's sleep. Unfortunately our room was on the back side of plaza de espana. Close to the start point, but noisy all night long lol.

Given so much has changed since COVID began we are looking for recommendations of recent accommodation experiences close to the begin of the Camino de Madrid, ie the Church of St James and St John the Baptist.
TIA 🙏🏼
You can’t throw a stone without hitting some form of private accommodation in that part of the city. What kind of a place are you looking for? Price range? What’s “close”?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m staying at Hostal Gran Via 63, about a 10 minute walk from the starting point when I walk the Madrid at the end of September.

Not sure how close is close for you, but when I'm in Madrid, I usually stay at Hostal Gonzalo on Calle Cervantes. Basic and affordable and in an interesting area. From there, you can walk to just about any location in Madrid, with no problem. Google says it's an 18-min. walk from the Church of St. James and St. John the Baptist.

Wherever you decide to go if possible book directly with the hostel/penson/hotel. Booking takes a huge 15% commision. Let the owner keep that money and often you may even get a better price. It never hurts to mention you are a peregrino who will be walking the Camino de Madrid.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In Madrid I stay at OK Hostel Madrid, in the La Latina section NE of Atocha station a couple of Km. Just like an upscale albergue with dorm rooms or private. Super clean, 24 hour great staff. My wife and I will be there Tuesday night. Buen Camino

I liked the room a lot at the OK Hostel when I was there in 2019, however the night club just below was loud until 3am and I had trouble sleeping. Finally I gave up and went to San Gines for churros around 230am, and by the time I came back the club was finally quieting down.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wherever you decide to go if possible book directly with the hostel/penson/hotel. Booking takes a huge 15% commision. Let the owner keep that money and often you may even get a better price. It never hurts to mention you are a peregrino who will be walking the Camino de Madrid.
I totally agree with that It56ny, I always try to do that too.
You can’t throw a stone without hitting some form of private accommodation in that part of the city. What kind of a place are you looking for? Price range? What’s “close”?
So true Laurie, I don’t have specific answers just keen to hear of personal experiences that worked for others. Probably cleanliness, and within 20 min walk of the church, possibly preferring double room but not essential. 😊

TIA 🙏🏼
Once you have got your first (or second stamp) from the church (depends if you get a stamp from friends of Camino Madrid) the camino passes through Plaza de Sol, lots of accommodation nearby. Enjoy the walk

I have booked a bed for two nights at The Hat, where I stayed before beginning my last Camino Madrid. It now costs me 87.15 (Booking.com) for the two nights in a women's four person dormitory, with bathroom. Larger shared dormitories are cheaper. I shall be taking the Cercanias from the airport to Sol station, a short walk from The Hat. Breakfast costs 6 euros and can be bought when booking or on the spot. From there, it is a short walk to the Cathedral.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure how close is close for you, but when I'm in Madrid, I usually stay at Hostal Gonzalo on Calle Cervantes. Basic and affordable and in an interesting area. From there, you can walk to just about any location in Madrid, with no problem. Google says it's an 18-min. walk from the Church of St. James and St. John the Baptist.
I’m at Hostal Gonzalo at the moment. It’s very pleasant- simple, basic room, clean and well set up. I like the location. Staff very friendly and helpful.

I have booked a bed for two nights at The Hat
Plus one for The Hat from me. It's predominantly young people (who were all impeccably behaved when I was there for a couple of nights a year ago) and the people running it I found to be thoughtful, helpful and friendly. Great location, but be prepared for a lot of streetlife noise if your balcony faces out on the main street (I loved it). I paid 35 euros per night inc the fab breakfast on the roof top where you can go back for as many helpings as you can manage before staggering out to start your Camino de Madrid adventure..

I now stay at an AirBnB in Numancia, South East of Atocha, bus stop outside the front door and metro two minutes walk away. Hosted by a young doctor and her Environmental Engineer partner. €18 a night, in a smallish bedroom with shared kitchen and bathroom. Lots of restaurants, cafes and Supermercardos. Only suitable for a single person.

Last edited:
I stayed at Hostal Royal Begonia as I wanted a place on the Camino on the way out of Madrid. That meant I could fly in and get the the cathedral and then walk about 10km to my first night’s accommodation. Place was a small single room but impeccably set out with aircon and a private bathroom. Also at least one good bar for food. Next morning just a few hundred kms to the Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.