• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation at Viscarret and Zubiri

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello folks... I'm going to book my first few nights accommodation in advance - it will be one less thing for me to think/worry about and it will force me to stop and break my journey in the early days.

I've booked at Orrison already, I'm assuming that I'll find a bed at Roncevalles without booking?

The next night I'm thinking of stopping at Viscarret - and perhaps Pensión Corazón Puro

Then... Zubiri and perhaps ALBERGUE ZALDIKO or the Hazel Stick

I think perhaps after this I can decide as I'm walking? Is this a good plan?

(many thanks in advance)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My sequential proposed list of accommodation from SJPdP for the first seven days is:

Valcarlos - Hostal Maitena
Roncevalles - la Posada de Roncevalles
Viskarret - Corazon Puro
Akerreta - Hotel Akerreta
Pamplona - Hotel Maisonnave
Uterga - Camino del Perdon
Puenta la Reina - Hotel Hespederia Chapitel

I'll probably "slob" it a bit after that!

LesBrass,
At this point as we prepare for our Sept. Camino, I believe that any "plan" that we feel confident in walking is a good plan. Your reasoning of getting a simple relaxed start with manageable mileage and limiting last minute decisions seems sound. I keep reminding myself that the surprises that come along the Way will provide the laughter and the fond memories of the journey. Maybe not immediately, but overtime this has proven to be true on many previous trips. Also, without this reminder worry and overthinking diminishes my energy and dampens my joy. Wishing you a few deep breaths, relaxation, and a calm heart. Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you noticed that there is a short distance (11 km) from Roncesvalles to Biscarreta, and it is not long (10 km) from Biscarreta-Zubiri? Most pilgrims go all the way from Roncesvalles to Zubiri, and even further.
Short and easy stages are OK, evidently, especially for the beginning.
Buen camino!

We didn't like Zaldiko. The dorms are cramped and when it's hot you can hardly breathe. It was clean though and the people were really friendly. There is another private albergue around the corner on the right which has a garden. Don't remember the name, sorry.

... There is another private albergue around the corner on the right which has a garden. Don't remember the name, sorry.

In Zubiri the private albergue which you remember is El Palo de Avalleno. They offer either bunk beds or true beds in dorms as well as some private rooms. Their food is also very good.

MM

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I will recommend the Pension USOA, on the left over the bridge into town. Just the ticket for me in February, after walking through driving snow and rain from Roncesvalles, soaked, blistered, and exhausted. Private room, hot shower, washing machine, and an ample supply of newspaper to dry shoes helped me make it to Pamplona the next day.

I suggest you reserve at the private albergue Plano de Avellano in Zubiri, when I was there on Sept 11 2014 it was full by 2pm and they were turning people away. I had booked online ahead of time and got a bed, a lot of pilgrims ended up in a gymnasium.

I will recommend the Pension USOA, on the left over the bridge into town. Just the ticket for me in February, after walking through driving snow and rain from Roncesvalles, soaked, blistered, and exhausted. Private room, hot shower, washing machine, and an ample supply of newspaper to dry shoes helped me make it to Pamplona the next day.
Good to hear. We have booked for the first few days so we don't feel stressed about finding accommodation and will be staying at Pension Usoa on the 8th September. From the photos it looks like it has a kitchen. Is that right? If I feel energetic enough I might cook a meal - well I can think positively at this stage! Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good to hear. We have booked for the first few days so we don't feel stressed about finding accommodation and will be staying at Pension Usoa on the 8th September. From the photos it looks like it has a kitchen. Is that right? If I feel energetic enough I might cook a meal - well I can think positively at this stage! Thanks

It has a kitchen (with a washing machine) and a comfortable living room to sit. In February, with the heaters on, it was easy and quick to dry clothes, but summer ... don't know.

I go with Margaret - El Pajo de Avelleno in Zubiri. Nice showers, comfortable lounge, good food and grassed area at rear. I found it much nicer than the Zaldiko. I found the same regarding there as the comments made above.

Many thanks folks... I've now got my night in SJ and Orrison booked and I'll hope there will be a place at the inn at Roncevalles.

Also confirmed today is my room at Viscarret - Pensión Corazón Puro

and Zubiri El Pajo de Avelleno - Hazel Stick

I'm really not sure beyond this as to how far I will walk... so for now I'll just be happy to have my first few days sorted... and do some more research on here about great places to stay!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm really not sure beyond this as to how far I will walk... so for now I'll just be happy to have my first few days sorted... and do some more research on here about great places to stay!

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.:rolleyes:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Gerard - I think finally the enormity of what I'm going to start is hitting me. It's not far away now... counting down the last few weeks. I'm not as fit as I once was and I am one of nature's worriers.

I've been walking for the last three days... 10km, 9km and 12km. My feet we're aching at the end of today but I feel ok.... so I keep saying I just have to do this each day and little by little I'll get closer to the end... and fitter and fitter.

I feel a lot happier being a little organised... but I dont want to plan everything... but I guess the first few nights will just make me sleep happier. :)

Everything you are thinking and feeling in your writing strikes me as natural and probably quite common. I suspect you will emerge from your camino less anxious or apprehensive.

Three weeks was all the time I took to prepare, and I was a dedicated, dyed-in-the-wool non-walker -- who would drive a block from the post office to coffee shop!

Just keep it simple:

1. Hydrate
2. Care for your feet
3. Don't walk too far without seeing a yellow arrow or scallop shell
3. Wake each morning and take a long walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
These are great suggestions. Thank you all. I'm going to add these to my suggestion journal.

I've been walking for the last three days... 10km, 9km and 12km. :)
I'm only up to 4ks a day, 3 days a week, so you are doing better than me cobber. I just got a phone call this fine Sunday morning saying "Get out of bed, YOU FAT LAZY SWINE".
I think you leave St Jean the day after me, so I'd better get my fat backside outta bed and get moving or else you'll be passing me in a cloud of dust.
Reds
Gerard

Last edited:
I'm only up to 4KS day, 3 days a week, so you are doing better than me cobber. I just got a phone call this fine Sunday morning saying "Get out of bed, YOU FAT LAZY SWINE".
I think you leave St Jean the day after me, so I'd better get my fat backside outta bed and get moving or else you'll be passing me in a loud of dust.
Reds
Gerard

I said something simliar to my husband today... about getting my bum moving o_O We've been walking longish trips for 3 days on the trot... which was a new test for me. I can't walk for the coming three days but after this I'll try and walk every day if I can... even if only a few km's.

I'm leaving SJ on the 13th and as you can see... I've decided to take it very easy for the first few days. I really hope it pays off and helps me get established... so you'll have to walk really really slow for me to catch you:D

(p.s. my poor husband hasn't been doing all the walking I've been doing recently so he's shattered tonight after three days of walking. He's got a blisher (because he wouldn't take me advice!) and his poor old legs ache... even thought he walked with no pack... he's walking to Orrison with me so he's starting to think he better train a little more)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I said something simliar to my husband today... about getting my bum moving o_O We've been walking longish trips for 3 days on the trot... which was a new test for me. I can't walk for the coming three days but after this I'll try and walk every day if I can... even if only a few km's.
Last Camino (CF) my training maxed out at;
4 days of 4k - an hour each day.
2 days of 10k - 2hrs each day. 1/2 hr break in the middle.
1 day of complete rest.
Last 2 weeks I wore my pack.
Then 1 weeks complete rest, apart from normal walking, before leaving.
That set me up sufficiently for the Route Napoleon.
Starting of very carefully and slowly, I was fine, doing 15-20 k's a day.
No blisters and steadily got fitter until I could do 20-25ks if I so desired.
Even managed a couple of nearly 30ks altho I didn't like that much.
Best of luck and don't overdo it!
Regds
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back