• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Availability

mohewitt

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in 2023
My husband and I are planning to walk Camino Frances starting the 1st of September 2023. I was trying to book reservations ahead of time for the first week directly or through booking.com. I am having a hard time finding anything available. Am I too late to be planning for this September? Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first week of September is the busiest of the year for people starting in SJPP, and there is often a bed crunch in the first few days as far as Pamplona. It eases at that point as people disperse and there are more options. It also eases at the end of September.

I am confident that it is not too late to make arrangements, although Orisson and Borda might be full. Then you need to shuttle up and back from SJPP, walk a long first day, or maybe just start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

What exactly are your problem points? Remember that booking.com has only a fraction of the actual available beds.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am confident that it is not too late to make arrangements, although Orisson and Borda might be full. Then you need to shuttle up and back from SJPP, walk a long first day, or maybe just start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona
Or walk the Valcarlos route.

was trying to book reservations ahead of time for the first week directly or through booking.com
Booking.com does not have access to all the available beds/rooms.
You should contact the properties directly. Check Gronze for a list of all accommodations on/near the Camino. It has contact information.

Gronze is only in Spanish but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

The first week of September is the busiest of the year for people starting in SJPP, and there is often a bed crunch in the first few days as far as Pamplona. It eases at that point as people disperse and there are more options. It also eases at the end of September.

I am confident that it is not too late to make arrangements, although Orisson and Borda might be full. Then you need to shuttle up and back from SJPP, walk a long first day, or maybe just start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

What exactly are your problem points? Remember that booking.com has only a fraction of the actual available beds.
Oddly enough I was able to find space in Orisson and am waiting for confirmation.

We have decided to take it slow for the first 7-10 days. I am having trouble finding space in Roncesvalles, Zubiri, Uterga and Villamayor. I haven't attempted to find anything past that. I have contacted some places directly.

Can anyone please suggest a work-around? I can also keep checking the closer we get.

Thank you!

Or walk the Valcarlos route.

Booking.com does not have access to all the available beds/rooms.
You should contact the properties directly. Check Gronze for a list of all accommodations on/near the Camino. It has contact information.

Gronze is only in Spanish but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.
Thank you. I was not familiar with Bronze. I will give it a try.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can anyone please suggest a work-around? I can also keep checking the closer we get.

Did you see @trecile’s comment that booking.com only has access to a few rooms in any one lodging? You will get much better results by contacting the places directly. Many have their own websites, some will read email, you can phone them, and many of them use WhatsApp.

Good luck, but I wouldn’t worry about things being sold out already, though September is an increasingly busy month.

I am having trouble finding space in Roncesvalles
Have you tried the albergue website? If you are looking for a private room in Roncesvalles, the options are more limited. Gronze.com lists the options, including links to Booking.com, but as others have said. Booking.com does not get access to all rooms.

To find the website of the lodging, you should google the hotel name, but the first search results will be the booking sites that have optimized their sites for prominence in google searches. You need to scroll down the search results to find a link to the website owned by the lodging - you can usually recognize this by seeing the name of the site in the URL. For example, this might be the website of Hotel ABC: www.hotelabc...

My husband and I are planning to walk Camino Frances starting the 1st of September 2023. I was trying to book reservations ahead of time for the first week directly or through booking.com. I am having a hard time finding anything available. Am I too late to be planning for this September? Thanks!
Have you tried Hotels.com?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oddly enough I was able to find space in Orisson and am waiting for confirmation.

We have decided to take it slow for the first 7-10 days. I am having trouble finding space in Roncesvalles, Zubiri, Uterga and Villamayor. I haven't attempted to find anything past that. I have contacted some places directly.

Thank you!
At gronze.com, it lists Roncesvalles-Hotel Roncesvalles +34 948 760 105 or La Posada +34 948 790 322 (Racquel); Zubiri-Albergue Suseia,+34 679 667 603, (Sara); Uterga-Camino del Perdon +34 948 344 598 (Noelia); Villamayor Monjardin-Oasis Trails +34 623 428 215. Buen Camino . . .

Have you tried Hotels.com?
I use Hotels.com in the USA, but they don't offer many smaller guest house type properties in Europe, which are less useful when walking Camino routes. Booking com has far more options that work for Camino walking in addition to Gronze.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Caminoteca.com website has downloadable spreadsheets for albergues and hotels. I just took a quick peek at them, but both of these spreadsheets look really useful:

I noticed that those lists are from 2015 and 2016, so may not be reliable.

Camino apps like Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino, along with the Gronze.com website will be more up to date.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've been using Gronze a little, but I've also emailed a couple of places asking if they did reservations, many of them have come back and said they only did walk ups. To be fair these were the bigger albergues, and I'm not fussy about where I sleep.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've been using Gronze a little, but I've also emailed a couple of places asking if they did reservations, many of them have come back and said they only did walk ups. To be fair these were the bigger albergues, and I'm not fussy about where I sleep.
Gronze will tell you if the place takes reservations or not.

You’ll find something - good advice to contact establishment directly (even if booking.com says full. Use wise pilgrim app for fuller lists. Try to stay a bit off or away from Bierly book stages.

Don't be too concerned about finding accommodation. Have some faith!!! Isn't that part of the pilgrimage? Many places will only take reservations a day before you arrive and most places don't advertise on one of the accommodation web sites. When your walking you can phone for a place the evening before you arrive or even on the day you expect to arrive. In addition lots of places only except people who show up without reservations. Sure you may not always sleep where you want to but that's why your on a pilgrimage!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have an agency and book Pilgrims' accommodations. We have been chatting with our accommodations and a lot of them have told us they are already up to 80% booked for 2024. This year has been challenging I sense that many people due to the past few years are booking rooms to avoid communal sleeping. Good Luck Buen Camino

Super helpful. Thank you for sharing the links!
Those spreadsheets are possibly out if date.

I noticed that those lists are from 2015 and 2016, so may not be reliable.

Camino apps like Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino, along with the Gronze.com website will be more up to date.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back