• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation between Bilbao and Santander

CGardner

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Norte
Hey all,

I am hoping to walk some of the camino in April. Given that this is off season I am a little concerned about finding acccomodation. How do I find out where is open and with availability? Thanks in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Edited: April isn't really "off" season. The Easter weekend triggers a mass-migration of over-wintered Pilgrims from wherever they've hunkered down. www.gronze.com is a pretty good resource for identifying accommodations. It's in Spanish but easily translated by your favourite browser and both comprehensive and up-to-date. Pilgrim, Albergue, accommodation is a bit thin on the ground compared to the Camino Frances but there are plenty of in-expensive Hostals and Hotels

Happy planning

Last edited:
Edited: April isn't really "off" season. The Easter weekend triggers a mass-migration of over-wintered Pilgrims from wherever they've hunkered down. www.gronze.com is a pretty good resource for identifying accommodations. It's in Spanish but easily translated by your favourite browser and both comprehensive and up-to-date. Pilgrim, Albergue, accommodation is a bit thin on the ground compared to the Camino Frances but there are plenty of in-expensive Hostals and Hotels

Happy planning
Thank you! Would you recommend booking in advance where possible to save cost?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I walked through this part of the Norte in October. Gronze.com was also my go-to resource to find which accomodations are open and which are closed. I agree that on this part of the camino, the albergues are not always ideally spaced apart - some days I could choose between an albergue that is 15 km or 35 km from the starting point - in which case I tried to find a cheap room in a hotel/hostal 25 km away.
I wouldn't book the accomodations for the whole journey right now - maybe the first day or two, and then book a day in advance, as you go, or stay in albergues, if there is one at the end of the stage you feel like walking on the given day.
Michal

I did that route in May 2018. I found places easily enough but as michal.don says they are not spaced out very evenly. I spent a number of nights in hotels. I think my least expensive night was at Guemes and it was completo that night.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have recently updated many of the opening times on wisepilgrim.com and soon will add the ability to filter by open properties, making it easier to eliminate all of the closed properties from view.
This is amazing wisepilgrim - so valuable to have 2 resources to reference.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.