A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Accommodation between Irun and San Sebastián

2020 Camino Guides

Dadhairday

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte (2020)
My plan is to start from Irun mid-March. However, I think sensible to plan for a gentle first day. Any suggestions for accommodation somewhere around half way?

Jan_D

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones (2011)
Frances (2012)
Norte (2013, 2014)
Hospitalera (2014)
Portugues (2017)
Pilgrims often stop in Pasajes de San Juan (around 8km before San Sebastián) but unfortunately the albergue here only opens 21 March. There's no accommodation on Monte Jaizkibel, the hill between Hondarribia and Pasajes. So it seems you'll have to check on booking.com for private accommodation in/around Pasajes.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
You can try Casa Txurdin - a guest house in Pasajes that you can reserve. You can call/message her on WhatsApp. The number is +34685475733 .

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
4 kilometers before. Von .
My plan is to start from Irun mid-March. However, I think sensible to plan for a gentle first day. Any suggestions for accommodation somewhere around half way?
You could stay in the donativo albergue of Los Doce Tribus about 4km before. San Sebastian It is beautiful. It is a spiritual community, no alcohol, bottled refreshments and so on

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
We put up a tent in the grounds outside the Albergue in Passages San Juan. Glorious view down the fjord, but the bells in the church tower above rang every hour through the night.

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We stayed in an Airbnb room in Pasajes.
That gave us a short walk to San Sebastian the next day.

Pilger Gal

Camino(s) past & future
El Norte (2016) (2017)
Another option could be to walk to Pasajes, take the bus from there, an easy 15 mins, to San Sebastián. Stay overnight bus back to Pasajes in the morning and walk back to San Sebastián without your pack. Sounds complicated but was very easy to find the bus. We took the coastal route back and it was amazing. Those first days can be tough so it was very nice to be pack free and knowing we had a bed waiting for us. Buon Camino

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Plata,
4 kilometers before. Von .

You could stay in the donativo albergue of Los Doce Tribus about 4km before. San Sebastian It is beautiful. It is a spiritual community, no alcohol, bottled refreshments and so on
I stayed there last year I was the only guy in men's small dorm two ladies in there own. they serve meals and a great breakfast. They bake bread. the only downer is their leader is extremely anti-catholic. nevertheless, a great place to stop even for just some refreshment.

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I stayed there last year I was the only guy in men's small dorm two ladies in there own. they serve meals and a great breakfast. They bake bread. the only downer is their leader is extremely anti-catholic. nevertheless, a great place to stop even for just some refreshment.
Whether it is a downer to be anti-catholic depends on your own perspective. The leader talked to usat dinner, he spoke not about the Catholic church as far as I remember. He could not make it clear why they found their inspiration in the twelve Jewish tribes. Anyway the albergue in itself was wonderfull. Men and women sleep in different rooms

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Plata,
Whether it is a downer to be anti-catholic depends on your own perspective. The leader talked to usat dinner, he spoke not about the Catholic church as far as I remember. He could not make it clear why they found their inspiration in the twelve Jewish tribes. Anyway the albergue in itself was wonderfull. Men and women sleep in different rooms
whether it is a downer huh? what is the matter with you when you rag another denomination in this day in age? I was there and I heard with my own ears, it's not cool. You are probably not a Catholic I am and I was offended but I had more grace not to retaliate and did leave a donation though I felt insulted. There is more to the Camino than a nice Albergue as you state. There is tolerance and respect.

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
Tolerance and respect work two ways

Dadhairday

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte (2020)
Thanks for all the replies. I’ve updated my travel plan to arrive in Irun on e evening if the 20th then set out to start on 21st so hopefully I can use the albergue the first night they open!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 355 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 151 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock