• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation between Irun and San Sebastián

Dadhairday

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2020)
My plan is to start from Irun mid-March. However, I think sensible to plan for a gentle first day. Any suggestions for accommodation somewhere around half way?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pilgrims often stop in Pasajes de San Juan (around 8km before San Sebastián) but unfortunately the albergue here only opens 21 March. There's no accommodation on Monte Jaizkibel, the hill between Hondarribia and Pasajes. So it seems you'll have to check on booking.com for private accommodation in/around Pasajes.

You can try Casa Txurdin - a guest house in Pasajes that you can reserve. You can call/message her on WhatsApp. The number is +34685475733 .

4 kilometers before. Von .
My plan is to start from Irun mid-March. However, I think sensible to plan for a gentle first day. Any suggestions for accommodation somewhere around half way?
You could stay in the donativo albergue of Los Doce Tribus about 4km before. San Sebastian It is beautiful. It is a spiritual community, no alcohol, bottled refreshments and so on

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We put up a tent in the grounds outside the Albergue in Passages San Juan. Glorious view down the fjord, but the bells in the church tower above rang every hour through the night.

We stayed in an Airbnb room in Pasajes.
That gave us a short walk to San Sebastian the next day.

Another option could be to walk to Pasajes, take the bus from there, an easy 15 mins, to San Sebastián. Stay overnight bus back to Pasajes in the morning and walk back to San Sebastián without your pack. Sounds complicated but was very easy to find the bus. We took the coastal route back and it was amazing. Those first days can be tough so it was very nice to be pack free and knowing we had a bed waiting for us. Buon Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
4 kilometers before. Von .

You could stay in the donativo albergue of Los Doce Tribus about 4km before. San Sebastian It is beautiful. It is a spiritual community, no alcohol, bottled refreshments and so on
I stayed there last year I was the only guy in men's small dorm two ladies in there own. they serve meals and a great breakfast. They bake bread. the only downer is their leader is extremely anti-catholic. nevertheless, a great place to stop even for just some refreshment.

I stayed there last year I was the only guy in men's small dorm two ladies in there own. they serve meals and a great breakfast. They bake bread. the only downer is their leader is extremely anti-catholic. nevertheless, a great place to stop even for just some refreshment.
Whether it is a downer to be anti-catholic depends on your own perspective. The leader talked to usat dinner, he spoke not about the Catholic church as far as I remember. He could not make it clear why they found their inspiration in the twelve Jewish tribes. Anyway the albergue in itself was wonderfull. Men and women sleep in different rooms

Whether it is a downer to be anti-catholic depends on your own perspective. The leader talked to usat dinner, he spoke not about the Catholic church as far as I remember. He could not make it clear why they found their inspiration in the twelve Jewish tribes. Anyway the albergue in itself was wonderfull. Men and women sleep in different rooms
whether it is a downer huh? what is the matter with you when you rag another denomination in this day in age? I was there and I heard with my own ears, it's not cool. You are probably not a Catholic I am and I was offended but I had more grace not to retaliate and did leave a donation though I felt insulted. There is more to the Camino than a nice Albergue as you state. There is tolerance and respect.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all the replies. I’ve updated my travel plan to arrive in Irun on e evening if the 20th then set out to start on 21st so hopefully I can use the albergue the first night they open!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back