• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation between Pamplona and Alto de Perdon

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
I am looking for accommodation between Pamplona and the foot of Alto de Perdon. I will be walking through Pamplona during the Festival of San Fermin so don't want to stay in Pamplona, but equally don't want to traipse the descent from Alto de Perdon at the end of a long hot day (fatigue, higher chance of injuries, etc). I'm looking at Wise Pilgrim and Gronze but there seems to be conflicting information on whether places are open or not and it seems most, on paper, are closed.

Please can anyone tell me what accommodation options there are between Pamplona and Alto de Perdon, preferably albergues?

Many thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You could avoid Pamplona totally during the Festival of San Fermin.

From the Pamplona airport walk southeast to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones and perhaps stay in the Tiebas albergue. (This is their Gronze page). Reservations are accepted.

The hub of the town is the bar/resto in the Centro Social de Tiebas, at # 34 Calle Mayor, tel +34 948 36 00 02

After Tiebas walk west on the CA paralleling route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4km further to Puente la Reina/Gares to re-meet the Camino Frances.

Happy planning and Buen camino

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am looking for accommodation between Pamplona and the foot of Alto de Perdon. I will be walking through Pamplona during the Festival of San Fermin so don't want to stay in Pamplona, but equally don't want to traipse the descent from Alto de Perdon at the end of a long hot day (fatigue, higher chance of injuries, etc). I'm looking at Wise Pilgrim and Gronze but there seems to be conflicting information on whether places are open or not and it seems most, on paper, are closed.

Please can anyone tell me what accommodation options there are between Pamplona and Alto de Perdon, preferably albergues?

Many thanks!
I stayed in Cizur Menor. Albergue Roncal. It's quite close to Pamplona but you do definitely feel as though you are almost back in the countryside when you're there. Several of us had the pilgrim menu in a very nice restaurant close by in the centre of Cizur Menor. There's a gentle descent out of Pamplona down to the river, then a gentle ascent up towards Cizur Menor. At the moment though I believe this albergue is temporarily closed...but there is another one. Several km beyond Cizur Menor and halfway up towards the Alto del Perdon is an even smaller and very charming settlement known as Zariquegui which has an albergue but not sure about provision for an evening meal.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When I walked through Cizormenor in April, I stopped at the cafe across the street from Mirabel Roncal. I asked the guy working there what was up and he said it was permanently closed. So does their website. He didn't know anything else. I think the monastary there is open now for pilgrims to stay over night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Roncal is definitely closed, Maribel is well beyond the age of retiring and much deserves the rest. The Orden de Malta (Sanjuanistas) is open.

But San Andres in Zariquiegui is also closed, so be advised that this stretch is difficult at the moment and during San Fermin even more so.
Thanks so much for this definitive information. Will cross my fingers and aim for the parochial albergue :)

I would alter my dates instead of missing Pamplona, but that is just me. Something very special about Pamplona.
Gosh I'd love the luxury of just being able to change dates. Been to Pamplona on a previous Camino, I agree, it's wonderful.

I was simply asking about which albergues are open.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am starting from Pamplona on the 5th, the day before San Fermin. Pamplona hostels and hotels are obviously expensive so I booked a hotel in Zizur Mayor for that first night. According to Google it's only about a 20 min walk off of the Camino. Hopefully it is straight forward.

I read your post earlier today and hesitated to give you a response. I suspect this year's San Fermin will be atteneded by many more revelers than in years past after 2 years of low attendance during Covid. I would avoid Pamplona at all cost. Either follow Meredith's advice to detour via Eunate or take a taxi to Alto Perdon and walk to one of the towns like Obanos or Uterga, assuming of course that the are not full booked. I am sure as in years past Cizur Menor will be fully booked

You could avoid Pamplona totally during the Festival of San Fermin.

From the Pamplona airport walk southeast to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones and perhaps stay in the Tiebas albergue. (This is their Gronze page). Reservations are accepted.

The hub of the town is the bar/resto in the Centro Social de Tiebas, at # 34 Calle Mayor, tel +34 948 36 00 02

After Tiebas walk west on the CA paralleling route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4km further to Puente la Reina/Gares to re-meet the Camino Frances.

Happy planning and Buen camino
Thankyou Mspath - I would still love to walk up to Alto de Perdon - I remember not taking it in as much as I would have liked to and wish to correct my previous error! It sounds like this path might skip it? Is that right?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I read your post earlier today and hesitated to give you a response. I suspect this year's San Fermin will be atteneded by many more revelers than in years past after 2 years of low attendance during Covid. I would avoid Pamplona at all cost. Either follow Meredith's advice to detour via Eunate or take a taxi to Alto Perdon and walk to one of the towns like Obanos or Uterga, assuming of course that the are not full booked. I am sure as in years past Cizur Menor will be fully booked
Thankyou, yes taxi might be the best option. I will aim for the parochial albergue now but once I get a feel for how things are shaking out once I'm actually on the Camino, I might get a bus/taxi to Cizur Menor and go from there. Much appreciated!

I am starting from Pamplona on the 5th, the day before San Fermin. Pamplona hostels and hotels are obviously expensive so I booked a hotel in Zizur Mayor for that first night. According to Google it's only about a 20 min walk off of the Camino. Hopefully it is straight forward.
Great to hear someone is in the same situation (as I'm will hundreds of others be when we are finally there!). That's wonderful that you found some accommodation! I will be going through Pamplona on the Friday night, 8th, and the cheapest option I can find in Cizur Menor is $236 😅

Parochial albergue or taxi it is!

Buen camino and I hope to meet you on the trail :)

Roncal is definitely closed, Maribel is well beyond the age of retiring and much deserves the rest. The Orden de Malta (Sanjuanistas) is open.

But San Andres in Zariquiegui is also closed, so be advised that this stretch is difficult at the moment and during San Fermin even more so.

When we stayed there in 2009 there was the shell of a new ‘wing’ at Maribel’s place.
Was it never finished?

Maribel is a lovely woman and her albergue, and the beautiful little garden, was an oasis.

I hope she’s enjoying her retirement! ❤️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When we stayed there in 2009 there was the shell of a new ‘wing’ at Maribel’s place.
Was it never finished?

Maribel is a lovely woman and her albergue, and the beautiful little garden, was an oasis.

I hope she’s enjoying her retirement! ❤️
I remember that 'wing' from 2005, it has not changed one iota since. I'm not sure if it was ever intended for the albergue, or if it was part of a project associated with the architectural firm of the same Roncal name which is behind the albergue. Perhaps one in the same.

But yes, she is lovely and I spent many delightful hours in that garden. The good news is that the torch is being passed to a new generation of hospitaleros, and by the looks of it they are creating more gardens for pilgrims.

I remember that 'wing' from 2005, it has not changed one iota since. I'm not sure if it was ever intended for the albergue, or if it was part of a project associated with the architectural firm of the same Roncal name which is behind the albergue. Perhaps one in the same.

But yes, she is lovely and I spent many delightful hours in that garden. The good news is that the torch is being passed to a new generation of hospitaleros, and by the looks of it they are creating more gardens for pilgrims.
Isn't it ironic (and delightful) that, even though we walk miles and miles through brush, fields, and forests, a pilgrim respite includes gardens?
Bliss.

I have met folks who stayed overnight in cizur menor.
I took a taxi from Pamplona to Zariquiequi, my planned and now closed overnight, and hoofed it over the Perdón to Uterga, where I stayed at the beautiful Del Perdon with the beautiful Noelia serving bar and her mom serving dinner with real meat. In 10 days so far this was my favorite stay.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are starting in SJPdP on July 4th, which puts us in Pamplona on 8th or so. Last time I was there (2017) I recall a very large municipal auberge. Will that be open to pilgrims? Any advice for pilgrims who want to stay in the municipal lodging in Pamplona?

I have met folks who stayed overnight in cizur menor.
I took a taxi from Pamplona to Zariquiequi, my planned and now closed overnight, and hoofed it over the Perdón to Uterga, where I stayed at the beautiful Del Perdon with the beautiful Noelia serving bar and her mom serving dinner with real meat. In 10 days so far this was my favorite stay.
Thankyoulu i think the taxi it is! Might take it from Zabaldika, where I am hoping i can stay overnight.

Diario de NavarraWe are starting in SJPdP on July 4th, which puts us in Pamplona on 8th or so. Last time I was there (2017) I recall a very large municipal auberge. Will that be open to pilgrims? Any advice for pilgrims who want to stay in the municipal lodging in Pamplona?
Pamplona and the surrounding area on your dates will be hyper crowded . San Fermin starts July 6, 2022. See full info here.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.