• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation between Pamplona and Puente la Reina

Felice

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
Before I send off some emails, I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows whether there is any intermediate accommodation available between Pamplona and Puente la Reina. There are a couple of places listed in Zizur Mayor, but they are off the route.

The albergue at Zariguiegui seems to have disappeared.
In Urtega, Casa Baztan looks like it is taking all of April and May as holiday. That leaves only Hostal Camino del Perdon.

I will be arriving in Pamplona in the late morning in early May and would like to get walking straight away as I spent 3 days in the city back in late October, but there's no way I will make it to Puente by the evening.

Any suggestions or knowledge as to the situation or might it change again by May?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Albergue Camino del Pardon in Uterga is a good place to be, especially after the descent from Alto del Perdon!
Yes indeed. They offer both albergue dorms and private rooms.
Closer to Pamplona in Cizur Menor since the Roncal albergue is closed you might try the Order of Malta albergue which opens May 1.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Before I send off some emails, I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows whether there is any intermediate accommodation available between Pamplona and Puente la Reina. There are a couple of places listed in Zizur Mayor, but they are off the route.
If you're starting at SJPP, the Pilgrim Office there will be able to provide you with up-to-date information about the Albergues, and I would recommend that you should actively ask for it, very politely, in a friendly manner, kind, relaxed, and trusting --- they won't necessarily provide it automatically, so just trust the Camino and let it provide.

What source are you looking at? Have you checked all of the Gronze listings?
Yes I've checked all the gronze listings. I've also looked at booking.com.

I shall email either of the 2 albergues at Urtega for a May booking so that I won't worry if I'm late-ish arriving.

I'd just rather have stayed at Zariquiegue and done the Alto fresh the next day.

If you're starting at SJPP, the Pilgrim Office there will be able to provide you with up-to-date information about the Albergues, and I would recommend that you should actively ask for it, very politely, in a friendly manner, kind, relaxed, and trusting --- they won't necessarily provide it automatically, so just trust the Camino and let it provide.
No, I'm starting in Pamplona. I walked SJPP to Pamplona in late October. The Pilgrim Office were really kind and helpful then.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Albergue Camino del Pardon in Uterga is a good place to be, especially after the descent from Alto del Perdon!
I loved this albergue. I ended up here unintentionally, after getting a little dehydrated on my descent from AdP and it ended up being one of the most memorable nights of my Camino.

Thanks everyone.
I have decided to restart my Camino differently. I'm flying to Zaragoza and had thought about having a full day there then heading to Pamplona first thing next morning. But instead, I think I'll head for Pamplona in the evening having had a shorter amount of time to look around. Then the next day head for Urtega.
I think I'll make a reservation as accommodation is very limited in this stretch.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The albergue in Uterga is outstanding and so is the food. Stopped there last March 2

Attachments

• 7F8696C0-B660-4D7A-B4FC-F0CB30670965.jpeg
    7F8696C0-B660-4D7A-B4FC-F0CB30670965.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 5FB9E2E1-C020-4008-822E-33D20EB373B2.jpeg
    5FB9E2E1-C020-4008-822E-33D20EB373B2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Another vote for Albergue Camino del Perdon! I've stayed there twice and loved it. Lovely family run place. They have dorm and private room options, a great bar with food and they do dinner at night if you're staying. Contact them direct to book, they prefer phone.

The albergue at Zariguiegui seems to have disappeared.
In Urtega, Casa Baztan looks like it is taking all of April and May as holiday. That leaves only Hostal Camino del Perdon.

I will be arriving in Pamplona in the late morning in early May and would like to get walking straight away as I spent 3 days in the city back in late October, but there's no way I will make it to Puente by the evening.

Any suggestions or knowledge as to the situation or might it change again by May?
Where did you see the information about Baztan? I had been planning on that being my stop.

I’m concerned about the dearth of lodgings in this section too because I’m starting from Pamplona (in late March). This then, will be my first day, so I’ll be unsure of my fitness level plus the fact that there is a difficult section, namely descending Alto de Perdon, and the possibility of adverse weather. I’m hesitant about pushing on all the way to PLR.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Where did you see the information about Baztan? I had been planning on that being my stop.

I’m concerned about the dearth of lodgings in this section too because I’m starting from Pamplona (in late March). This then, will be my first day, so I’ll be unsure of my fitness level plus the fact that there is a difficult section, namely descending Alto de Perdon, and the possibility of adverse weather. I’m hesitant about pushing on all the way to PLR.
On Booking.com. If you look at availability, there's a price for everyday in March and June onwards, but nothing in April and May.
I agree, that stretch looks like it is going to be a pinch point this year. There will be much more accommodation than appears online, but it could still easily be not enough.

The family run albergue in Uterga is excellent (in my experience). Easily reached from Pamplona, As stated above, a range of price options. Good washing sinks as well! The owner has experience of being a pilgrim. From there to Puente La Reina, no need to stop except to smell the lavender and maybe have a second breakfast. 😇

On Booking.com. If you look at availability, there's a price for everyday in March and June onwards, but nothing in April and May.
I agree, that stretch looks like it is going to be a pinch point this year. There will be much more accommodation than appears online, but it could still easily be not enough.
They are showing availability now for April and May on Booking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Uterga has two good albergues. I have stayed there before.
If you don't already have one, I suggest getting a current guidebook or some other type of Camino route information with maps and albergues etc shown. It's very useful reference material and helps in planning.

They are showing availability now for April and May on Booking.
Brilliant! Thank you so much for pointing that out. I can assure you that last week I was getting no availability.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back