• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation costs on the Camino

holidaymonster

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hello
Newby question time. I’m looking at the cost of walking the route (not all) and I just wondered if anyone can give me a rough idea of a private room for two and food costs (basic food)
I know it’s a difficult question to answer but it was just to give me an idea on budget.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello
Newby question time. I’m looking at the cost of walking the route (not all) and I just wondered if anyone can give me a rough idea of a private room for two and food costs (basic food)
I know it’s a difficult question to answer but it was just to give me an idea on budget.

It used to be about 10 euros for a bed and 9 euros for a pilgrim menu... Might have changed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello

Really, the cost of a private room for two will vary by local. It will be expensive in places that have a large tourism base, like the cities and popular small towns and villages, but far less expensive in other locales. And it also depends on the facility itself. Private rooms in albergues are a lot less expensive than a private room in a hotel, and Rurals are less expensive than hostals. Or is it the other way around? :) Just keep in mind that what you may find unacceptable in a particular accommodation may be super ok to others; so individual tastes will also drive budget levels.

The same applies to food. Will you eat mainly from the daily Pilgrim's menu offerings in a bar or albergue or restaurant ( or the daily special) or will you eat off the regular menu?

So, Rob's budget breakdown is a good look at the total average of all accomodation and food expenditures, and is the method that is the best way to develop your cost basis for accomodations. Rob's budget, itself, looks to be a good budget that gives a lot of flexibility of choice and style. Since it looks to be his cost per person, yours would need to be increased for two people. Not doubled, just increased.

In general, room rates are a bit higher for two people than for one. Obviously food costs will be more for two.

We didn't keep a record but 35 euros for a double seems about right, for 2015 anyway. A pilgrim's meal was usually 10 euros apiece. We usually had a light breakfast and shared a sandwich we made for lunch. We spent 58 days to get to SdC and on average spent about 35 euros per day per person though most (75%-80% ???) nights were spent in bunk beds in albergues. Mid 60s celebrating retirement.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Prepare your budget with great thought a-n-d flexibility! Easy to keep to the amounts listed by Falcon above unless of course for extras you meet a Spanish Torilla coming straight out of the kitchen, unless you meet a freshly opened Jamón Ibérico or Jamón Serrano, another half portion of pulpo winks your way, that wine is irresistible, and it goes without saying the seafood and other ocean going creatures waiting to greet you in Santiago - all can cause havoc with the best laid budget.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I kept records over my five Caminos, including trips along the Frances, Portugues, Madrid. My overall average for sustenance costs is currently running at about €58 per night. This includes solo lodging in a hostal, private albergue, or hotel. I use Booking.com for 95% of my reservations.

Each year, after my Camino, I update the file I keep. I use this to update my rolling average. It goes up about €3-5 annually. Most of the increase is lodging.

You can, as others suggest spend less, especially if you stay in public albergues. I surmise your average will run about €35 - 40 daily, depending on how well you eat and drink.

Hope this helps.

No matter how your budget shakes out, I recommend always having an emergency stash somewhere on your person. Most albergues only accept cash payment, and one day, we ran out of cash after we paid for our bunk, dinner and laundry for that particular night, ASSUMING there would be a bank machine in town, but there wasn't, so we were prepared to have no breakfast the next morning. Luckily, we found another albergue in town that accepted credit cards and because we were just about to enter Galicia, we bought our coffee and toast and ponchos on credit. As they say, the camino always provides, but regardless, I always stashed 100Euro deep in my wallet after that experience. Funny how big the world becomes when you're walking, as, had we been thinking, we could have easily cabbed it somewhere to visit a bank machine.

Buen Camino!!

Hello
I recommend watching Efren Gonzales videos on you tube it gives a good daily cost breakdown

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello
Hello Holidy. I walked it in August 2017 walking again next week.Albergs 5-8 euros coffee or beers 1.20 euros buy a pizza from a supermarket 2 euros. I did 800ks for under 2000 euros and I did not sleep on the street and I did not starve. Remember one thing the Camino will provide . Have faith start walking.:):).

Ummmm, Terry W has a point. The pricing provided is pretty accurate for hotels or tourist homes. But.... it is the Camino and it will provide, if allowed. For me, I am budgeting 40e per day, for everything, food, water, lodging, the lot. But I am on my own.

So, bottom line, if open to it, the refugios, albergues and donativos will not only be much less but will also provide greater opportunities to eat and converse with other Pilgrims. Just a thought.

But there is a more fun way to reserch this. A friend has created a vlog of his CF last year, on Youtube. Here is the first of 37 installments;

At the end of each installment, he provides a complete expense report for the day.

Finally, if you look around his channel after the vlogs, he has also compiled all of his drone footage into 7 more videos, divided by province.

Enjoy and Buen Camino!!!

Holiday monster, welcome to the forum! We are mostly a fairly helpful bunch of Camino enthusiasts.

My wife and I have mostly used the private room option of our various Camino's. Totally worth the extra cost in my opinion. You can skip all the numerous threads on what to do about snoring or sometimes boorish behavior in shared bunk room accommodations.

For private rooms, generally the low end is 35 Euro's, mid point is around 40 Euro's and a few nights closer to 45 Euro's. Some times we would stay in a pension or a hotel in the larger centers at a higher cost. We generally spend about 60 to 80 Euro's a day, including our accommodations.

Despite some saying you miss the 'true' Camino experience by not bunking with strangers, you will have a more enjoyable experience by using private rooms when available. Better to start each day well rested and not being grumpy from the snore fest from fellow pilgrims.

You still have the 'community' of fellow pilgrims in the albergue from either prepping meals together and a communal dinner, but when it is time to sleep, you will in fact get sleep.

All this being said, do try a night or two in a bunk room, it will only confirm you are making the right decision.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back