• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Deba August 2018

AgSuil2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hi all! I'm going on my first Camino adventure in a couple of weeks (excited!) and I'm busy trying to organise accommdation. We will start in San Sebastian on 23rd August, then on to Zaruatz and then Deba. I have checked Booking.com and Air B&B for accommodation options in Deba on Friday 24th August but there are very limited choices. I read that the Northern route is less developed than the Camino Frances but I didn't expect places to be completely booked out! Are Albergues online or could we still chance arrving in the town and hoping for the best? I don't really know how it all works so any advice would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As I have posted on another thread, this is prime holiday time for the locals along the coast from San Sebastian to Deba - Zarautz is a prime spot for surfers

Keep in mind that on-line bookers such as booking.com, etc. have a limited number of rooms available to them and will show fully booked (to them) when these limited rooms have been booked.
The actual establishment may have availability if contacted directly. Try emailing them or booking on their direct site if you can.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The municipal albergue at the railway station in Deba has 56 places according to their web site.I stayed there last year and it was very good.On arrival at Deba go to the Tourist Office.You must register there ,pay the fee before you go to the albergue.You cannot reserve in advance.Check out the web site for the albergue.The web site for the Tourist Office indicates it is closed between 2 and 4 p.m.

And Deba is a pretty small town....I’m not surprised but I will echo grayland and suggest you call directly...Deba is beautiful! I hope you find a room! Buen Camino

And if you have it in you to go an extra 4k beyond Deba, there is a private albergue right on the camino route that takes reservations- el albergue de Izarbide.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all! I'm going on my first Camino adventure in a couple of weeks (excited!) and I'm busy trying to organise accommdation. We will start in San Sebastian on 23rd August, then on to Zaruatz and then Deba. I have checked Booking.com and Air B&B for accommodation options in Deba on Friday 24th August but there are very limited choices. I read that the Northern route is less developed than the Camino Frances but I didn't expect places to be completely booked out! Are Albergues online or could we still chance arrving in the town and hoping for the best? I don't really know how it all works so any advice would be appreciated :)

www.gronze.com is a great website for accommodations on all Caminos. I am sure it will help you with your walk. This is a beautiful Camino, my favorite.

Ultreya,
Joe

August on the northern coast. Absolute peak season. I am afraid you will encounter this problem more often.

A possibilty would be to walk about 5 kilometer farther than Deba to the Albergue Izarbide. A advantage would be that you shorten the next day, which is a little bit hard, with climbs and no provisions. You can make reservations there, but perhaps only on shorter term ( a day ahead) The albergue is isolated, they serve food there

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I thought that the municipal albergue in Deba was great. I talked to some people who ended up at Albergue Izarbide, and they were less than happy with it. When I stopped by it seemed dark and stuffy. These same pilgrims inquired at the tourist office about a hotel or pensión, and were told that there were none in Deba. I was quite surprised because it's a good sized town with a lovely beach. Perhaps Airbnb will have something.

I can highly recommend a place for the next day in Markina - Casa Rural Intxauspe. They have private rooms and albergue beds, a lovely garden with loungers to relax in and offer a communal dinner. A great place to stay after one of the most difficult days on the Norte.

These same pilgrims inquired at the tourist office about a hotel or pensión, and were told that there were none in Deba. I was quite surprised because it's a good sized town with a lovely beach. Perhaps Airbnb will have something.

It's not that there are no hotels or pensions in Deba, it is more that the beach is so popular in the holiday season that there are typically no available beds for pilgrims apart from the albergue

I heard and read also bad stories about the Izarbide albergue. We stayed there in and liked it, people were nice and the food was verygood

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for your very helpful replies. We will try to arrive in Deba early and get a bed in the municipal albergue. Thanks again!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.