• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Dilemma

tpatnode

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
As I posted earlier, we are flying into Madrid on April 28th, and hope to take the train to Ponferrada and stay there the 28th. Since we may not catch the train, and have to stay in Madrid the 28th, we are unsure about booking accommodations ahead. Someone posted that the coming weekend is a big national holiday, should we be concerned? I think we can average 25 KM per day once we start in Ponferrada, just not sure if we will start on the 29th or 30th.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can you get some certainty around your train tickets? I would recommend you book them ahead of time, either using omio.com or renfe.com. That way you know what the plan is as soon as you arrive in Madrid, whether you're staying the night or heading straight to Ponferrada. And you're right, May 1 is a major holiday so there will be a lot of travel...but the busyness may just be starting on that Thursday, and really come to a head on Friday/ Saturday.

Ponferrada is beautiful! Buen Camino.

You are assuming your flight into Madrid will arrive as expected. We have visited Spain a half dozen times and the majority if them have been changed in some way, thus impacting our arrival times. Now, I will admit that we live in the Rocky Mountains of the US and that means several flights to get to Madrid.

As an aside, you might want to give yourself a day or so to re-charge after the flight(s) so you can begin your Camino refreshed.

!Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What time is your flight landing? What time(s) are the train(s) leaving Madrid? Need those answers before guidance can be given.

But - if there is a chance you may miss the last train - I would plan to book a hotel in Madrid the first night and take the earliest train to Ponferrada. Depending on what time you arrive in Ponferrada - you have 2 options. 1) Book a night in Ponferrada the second night and spend the day in Ponferrada or 2) figure out what time your train will arrive in Ponferrada - and determine whether or not you want to start walking immediately upon arrival - or wander town for a bit then start walking. If you do that later options - you can book accomodations half way to the next "stage" town and just walk a shorter day.

I did like Ponferrada a lot - it is certainly worth giving yourself at least half a day to explore!

As I posted earlier, we are flying into Madrid on April 28th, and hope to take the train to Ponferrada and stay there the 28th. Since we may not catch the train, and have to stay in Madrid the 28th, we are unsure about booking accommodations ahead. Someone posted that the coming weekend is a big national holiday, should we be concerned? I think we can average 25 KM per day once we start in Ponferrada, just not sure if we will start on the 29th or 30th.
Our flight from Munich arrives in Madrid at 11:10 AM. The train we hope to catch departs from Chamartin at 2:40 PM. Does that seem feasible?

Our flight from Munich arrives in Madrid at 11:10 AM. The train we hope to catch departs from Chamartin at 2:40 PM. Does that seem feasible?
Since it is an intra-EU flight you won’t have any immigration to deal with. Which terminal are you arriving in? I’m asking because if you are on Iberia or a One World Alliance partner, you will arrive in T4. T4 is where the Cercanías trains leave from and you can get a quick train easily to Chamartín.

If you arrive in T 1-3, you will need to take the intra-airport bus over to T4. They run frequently and take about 10-15 minutes if memory serves. If the intra-airport bus leaves you off at the departures level, you will have to go down two flights to the underground Cercanías station.

In a pinch, cabs are one-fare-only, 30€ to any Madrid destination.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can probably make it - just have a back up plan just in case! Will you have tickets purchased in advance though for the train? I made it to the train station in time for my desired train to Pamplona - but the ticket wasn't being sold in the billet machine and the line to purchase tickets took forever - and I was forced to take the next train. Is there a later train than 2:40 in case you miss that train? If yes - it should be safe to book accommodations in Ponferada. If not - there is a SLIGHT chance you might not make your train - but you will PROBABLY be fine.

If it arrives even vaguely on time; yes, comfortably. Personally I’d buy the tickets in advance - it will be cheaper and it’s not unknown for Spanish trains to sell-out.

Since it is an intra-EU flight you won’t have any immigration to deal with. Which terminal are you arriving in? I’m asking because if you are on Iberia or a One World Alliance partner, you will arrive in T4. T4 is where the Cercanías trains leave from and you can get a quick train easily to Chamartín.

If you arrive in T 1-3, you will need to take the intra-airport bus over to T4. They run frequently and take about 10-15 minutes if memory serves. If the intra-airport bus leaves you off at the departures level, you will have to go down two flights to the underground Cercanías station.

In a pinch, cabs are one-fare-only, 30€ to any Madrid destination.
We are arriving on Lufthansa, not sure which terminal yet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back