• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation during summer

Bouwmeester

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Francés SJPdP-PlR (July 2013)
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the information available on this forum. I've already found answers to several questions I had. I'm planning to walk the Camino from SJPdP, starting in early July. I read some topics in which people asked about the weather and accommodation in summer; I'm mostly curious about the latter. How busy is 'busy' actually on the Camino during the months of July and August? What's the best way to go when looking for an auberge on the way? Is it best to start walking early, so that in the afternoon you're among the first ones to find a place to sleep? And how troublesome does this get when you get closer to SdC?

Also read about the backup plan to take a lightweight tent with you in case there's no free bed in the nearby accommodations. How useful would this be?

Tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum Tom!
I love to walk in July as I like the heat and sun - a combination we don't have in The Netherlands :wink:. Although a busier time to walk, I never had a problem finding a bed up until O'Cebreiro. From there on it was a mad-house but then again I walked the Francés in 2010 which was a Holy Year and many Spaniards were walking the last 100 km. Although difficult to find a bed, there was always a solution (sleeping outside with a group of pilgrims, being snuck into an albergue by another pilgrim, sleeping in a gym, etc.). It makes for some good stories.

You will find that there are all kinds of people on the Camino - those that leave before sunrise (i.e. 5 a.m.) and stop by noon or 13.00 when they have reached the end of the stage as per guide book and others that try to sleep in (not so easy due to the above-mentioned people) and stop whenever they feel like it. I was usually a combination of the above: I left early cause I couldn't sleep and stopped in between the "official" stages. Often I would walk 1 1/2- 2 stages meaning also into the afternoon but still I had no problem finding a bed. I enjoyed the freedom of not planning.

This past summer I walked a bit of the Francés again in July and once again I had no problem. On the Francés there are sooooooo many sleeping options, especially if you count the private albergues which I have yet to use.

So don't worry - there is always a solution and leave the tent at home (unless of course you like to sleep outside).

Enjoy the preparation!
LT

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Tom,

I walked with my family last summer, there were four of us and so prebooked most of our accom. However, our experience was there was lots of places to sleep and we didn't need to book in most places even as a group. The single walkers, we walked with, didn't even go without a bed during San Fermin Festival around Pamplona, although it was tight and they needed to grab something early, like around noonish. Often some albergues were full by about 2:00 to 3:00.

If you are planning to walk through Pamplona during San Fermin. Just a tip re San Fermin, aim to walk through Pamplona after 9:00 as they run the bulls at 8:00. Keep a good eye on your stuff and don't let people distract you. For some reason, my husband and younger daughter tended to have people walk up to them more, walking through Pamplona as well as around Leon Cathedral.

Accommodation got tighter just before and after saria and folks we walked with had to choose whether to sleep outside at times or spend more money on accommodation. Some villages were worse than others. Triacastela was tight, just before Sarria, Sarria was fine, Portomorin was bad. We booked at Albergue Ultreia in Portomorin, it was private and all I can say about it is we were happy to have beds and the owners were helpful and nice.

Hoping to walk again and probably won't pre book prior to Triacastella. Hope this helps,

Kelly

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi LT and Kelly,

Thanks for your replies! I really love the idea of improvising and not planning ahead too much (apart from a loose itinerary), so it's great to hear that this is also possible during high season. I'll keep the feast days and festivals and such in mind though.

I think I'll only book a room in a B&B in SJPdP and the auberge in Orisson then (and maybe in Roncesvalles as well) and take things as they come from there on. (Thought of crossing the Pyrenees in one day, but since I have enough time and read that people have had good experiences in Orisson, it would be a nice start to have a stopover there.)

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom- do stay in l'Esprit du Chemin in SJPdP!!! I can't think of a more special way to start a Camino. Just send Arno or Hubert an e-mail and they will reserve a bed for you:http://www.espritduchemin.org/Nederlands/welkom.html
This is the only reservation I made all the way to Fisterra.

Didn't stop in Orisson except for a cup of tea but many forum members speak highly of the place. And the albergue municipal in Roncesvalles is hugh (no reservations possible).

last august we had no trouble with finding beds but we did try to get settled some where by 2pm each day and started walking by 5.30 am.From Sarria onwards though the story was differant.So more tourgrims had prebooked everything that we ended up struggling.For that week...we went to bed and breakfasts/guest houses and paid an average 30 euro a night...but had our own bathrooms(luxury)In Santiago i stayed in the converted monastry...23 euro for a single with bathroom,fluffy with pillows and quilt...breakfast included.
A hospileir told me the real volume starts on the first week of august when school kids and students hit the trail....leave one week before and it is appretiably easier to bed down,Sarria onwards will Always be hard in the summer months

If things are busy...most walkers follow the same guides with the same main sleep stops,one tip is to walk a shorter or longer day once and then your sleep stops are mid way...if that makes any sense

Finally...considering the use you will get out of it...do not take a tent...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
LTfit said:
Tom- do stay in l'Esprit du Chemin in SJPdP!!! I can't think of a more special way to start a Camino. Just send Arno or Hubert an e-mail and they will reserve a bed for you:http://www.espritduchemin.org/Nederlands/welkom.html
This is the only reservation I made all the way to Fisterra.
Thanks! I heard about them, but was still doubtful whether to book a B&B for my first night or to stay in a pilgrim's hostel straight away. You're right, the latter is probably the most special way to start off.

na2than said:
last august we had no trouble with finding beds but we did try to get settled some where by 2pm each day and started walking by 5.30 am.From Sarria onwards though the story was differant.So more tourgrims had prebooked everything that we ended up struggling.For that week...we went to bed and breakfasts/guest houses and paid an average 30 euro a night...but had our own bathrooms(luxury)In Santiago i stayed in the converted monastry...23 euro for a single with bathroom,fluffy with pillows and quilt...breakfast included.
A hospileir told me the real volume starts on the first week of august when school kids and students hit the trail....leave one week before and it is appretiably easier to bed down,Sarria onwards will Always be hard in the summer months

If things are busy...most walkers follow the same guides with the same main sleep stops,one tip is to walk a shorter or longer day once and then your sleep stops are mid way...if that makes any sense

Finally...considering the use you will get out of it...do not take a tent...
I'll keep Sarria in mind. Guesthouses would be a reasonable alternative if it gets too crowded. And thanks for your walking advice, I understand what you mean :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.