• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation/Eating in Fuente de Cantos

Staffman

Mature Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Apr-May 2019
I'm trying to plan ahead for the above and have a few Qs. I expect to be there late September/early October 2020:
  1. Is the Albergue Zaguan De La Plata still in operation or has it changed uses? I can't find it on google maps. There seems to be a Construction office and a Tour Guide office on street view.
  2. I have read that the ex-convent is no longer in use, any iinfo?
  3. Any info on Restaurant/Pension Vicenta? I thought this may be a good alternative.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Staffman, yes they are still operating, a search for "apartmentos rurales el zaguan de la plata" should find them, my family and I stayed with them last year and had a big apartment, we noticed that they also had a small dorm, try e-mailing them and ask for a pilgrim bunk, as to eating there was also a small kitchen, but plenty of places to eat in town if cooking is not your thing.
Regards
George

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm trying to plan ahead for the above and have a few Qs. I expect to be there late September/early October 2020:
  1. Is the Albergue Zaguan De La Plata still in operation or has it changed uses? I can't find it on google maps. There seems to be a Construction office and a Tour Guide office on street view.
  3. Any info on Restaurant/Pension Vicenta? I thought this may be a good alternative.
I am actually in FDC as I write. Just arrived by bus from Seville to take up where I stopped last year. The Albergue El Zaguan de la Plata is excellent and strongly recommended. Cannot answer about eating as might self cater in their more than adequate kitchen. And for interest the weather here today is glorious. Very sunny and about 20 DegC.

Contact details from their card.

Attachments

• 15808252912096975409698349307616.jpg
    15808252912096975409698349307616.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Thanks to George and Simon B, not forgetting Gronze for the info! Buen Camino Simon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I usually skip Fuente and move on to Calzadilla de los Barros, the Pensión Rodriguez is very good value, good food, quirky little village and a stunning altar in the church, it is one of those places you just fall in love with!

Amancio, my only concern is my 67 year old old legs which may not be able to take me the extra 6-7kms. However I will keep this in mind in case I'm feeling up for it!

Amancio, my only concern is my 67 year old old legs which may not be able to take me the extra 6-7kms. However I will keep this in mind in case I'm feeling up for it!
I fully understand! If it is any consolation to you, you can stop for something to bite in Fuente, then the walk to Calzadilla is flat and easy.
Whatever you end up doing, buen camino, compañero peregrino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Back in 2015 I continued to Calzadilla due to the albergue wars that were happening in Fuente. The humbugging was over the top and off-putting. The German guidebooks tend to be very thorough and up to date. Which is how I found the pension a German pilgrim and I stayed at. Look up the June/July 2015 pinned thread to get the details. Lovely family.

@Staffman
‘Gronze’ is a good friend . Have you used it before?
Take the advice of @george.g
and email Zaguan ( you’ll find the details in gronze).
I stayed there last april during Semana Santa. They had lovely procession at night during Semana Santa.
The owners gave us recommendations, to the best place to eat. If you google you’ll see that FDC has lots of choices for eating.
Although we only paid the dorm rate ; the 2 of us were allocated a private room upstairs. (I was on Vdlp solo but usually walked with someone else for a decent stretch - often this makes it easier to share a room ).

Enjoy this beautiful camino.
Annie
I’ll try to add a few pics of our stop ‘zaguan’ - yes it does have a pool (it was too cool for me then, but there was someone swimming). Although it is called ‘apartments’ - it is like a large home with many rooms.

Buen camino
Annie .

Attachments

• D91E3A37-255B-44B0-9979-ED5E91428FC8.jpeg
    D91E3A37-255B-44B0-9979-ED5E91428FC8.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • 5341D852-FA8A-4A51-B498-7666458C5264.jpeg
    5341D852-FA8A-4A51-B498-7666458C5264.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 093C41B9-EFF1-415C-A62B-1E4E7FCF0884.jpeg
    093C41B9-EFF1-415C-A62B-1E4E7FCF0884.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 6CB6A074-0F65-45F1-B79E-E8D628EDDDE9.jpeg
    6CB6A074-0F65-45F1-B79E-E8D628EDDDE9.jpeg
    623.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 6B7ADF0B-70A0-4B9A-B59C-53B5EF03E769.jpeg
    6B7ADF0B-70A0-4B9A-B59C-53B5EF03E769.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
We also stayed there around the same time as Annie. If would travel through FDC again we would certainly be very happy to book here again. For a small fee they even do your washing! And adequate breakfast in the morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

I stayed in El Zaguán de la Plata last June, a very nice and luxurious place. The husband of the owner runs an insurance-office next door, where you also have to register for the albergue. They have 2 dorms (for 4 Persons each, 12 €) and two private rooms (30 €) and also an appartment.

I stayed at the public albergue in the old monastery in 2008. It is definitely ok, but for the same money El Zaguán de la Plata is the better choice. A breakfast is included there as well.

At Restaurant El Gato on the N 631 I enjoyed one of the best meals of my camino for only 10 € including wine and gaseosa and a wonderful home-made ice-cream.

Casa Vincenta has also private rooms and offers good value meals. I only stopped there for a beer and a Tapa, but the place seemed ok, though not mentionend by the yellow german guidebook.

I would not walk on to Calzadilla de los Barros, as this stop does not make sense for the next day and the Village has nothing to offer.

Zaguan owners Antonio and his son Antonio (don't call him Antonito though, he's grown up) are the nicest people. I got really ill there and they were so good to me. Antonio the elder plied me with his home made moonshine, with the twigs in it, to set me up. When I was feeling better they took me to see their mules, and to the Romería. They have a wonderful private ethnographic museum in the garage at the back. And a tiny swimming pool. And tortoises.

Back in 2015 I continued to Calzadilla due to the albergue wars that were happening in Fuente. The humbugging was over the top and off-putting. The German guidebooks tend to be very thorough and up to date. Which is how I found the pension a German pilgrim and I stayed at. Look up the June/July 2015 pinned thread to get the details. Lovely family.
Thanks Donna.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many thanks to all responders. I will have a decision to make but fortunately it looks as if I can decide between two good towns for my overnight stay. Since I posted my question my 69 year old siste rhas requested to accompany me on my Camino so I'll see how our old legs are holding up and decide nearer the time. :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back