• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Accommodation experience, first 8 nights

Tartrazine

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino.

On night 5 and have the next three nights booked already so giving some feedback.

Obviously with municipal albergues closed there is less choice, and whilst the 'see where I end up' approach might work I'm not inclined to chance it. 15 - 18 miles a day does me so I'm simply looking ahead to where that mileage takes me and seeing what's available to book.

Other than popular tourist towns where I paid through the nose for hotels, Irun and Zauratz I'm looking at you, I'm not having any great problems finding albergues or hostels at reasonable (in the circumstances) prices.

San Sebastian, room in the city hostel 32 euros

izarbide aterpetxea 32 euros with dinner and breakfast

Zenarruza monastery ( where I am writing from) donation. You also get a plate of food for dinner and something for breakfast.

Albergue Pozueta, booked for tomorrow, 14 euros for a bed, 10 euros for dinner and 4 for breakfast if you want them.

I'm generally booking in the evening for the next night, but as I'm not far from Bilbao and was concerned about city hotel costs I looked into what was available and booked two nights bed and breakfast at the All Iron Hostel, 16 euros a night. Going to have a day off there.

I guess the point is that, certainly for the first week, I'm generally managing to find Albergues and hostels available.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My first Camino.

On night 5 and have the next three nights booked already so giving some feedback.

Obviously with municipal albergues closed there is less choice, and whilst the 'see where I end up' approach might work I'm not inclined to chance it. 15 - 18 miles a day does me so I'm simply looking ahead to where that mileage takes me and seeing what's available to book.

Other than popular tourist towns where I paid through the nose for hotels, Irun and Zauratz I'm looking at you, I'm not having any great problems finding albergues or hostels at reasonable (in the circumstances) prices.

Zenarruza monastery ( where I am writing from) donation. You also get a plate of food for dinner and something for breakfast.

Albergue Pozueta, booked for tomorrow, 14 euros for a bed, 10 euros for dinner and 4 for breakfast if you want them.

I'm generally booking in the evening for the next night, but as I'm not far from Bilbao and was concerned about city hotel costs I looked into what was available and booked two nights bed and breakfast at the All Iron Hostel, 16 euros a night. Going to have a day off there.

I guess the point is that, certainly for the first week, I'm generally managing to find Albergues and hostels available.
So Zenarruza is open? It was my favorite on the Norte (for ambiance not luxury but I hear it’s been improved). I know everyone says Guermes but I hated that one, even more than the hostel in Guernica.

sounds like you’ve figured out housing! Not an easy feat on the Norte at high season during a pandemic.

Buen Camino!

Tartrazine,

Thanks for your update.
Glad to learn that you are in a good spot; hope that the plate of food tonight is tasty.
Looking forward to reading more comments
as you progress.
Carpe diem and Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of doing the Norte after I complete the Le Puy Route in September, So any info about the Norte no matter how small or trivial, will be greatly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Buen Camino

Mark

My first Camino.

that is a good deal enjoy fellow Pilgrim take me with you in thought, next year for me being my 12 th.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first Camino.

Looks like Room in the City in San Sebastian has kept their prices pretty steady. I stayed there for about 23 Euros in 2018 and it was October. So given it is 3 years later and high season that price sounds about right to me. It was a very nice hostel.

My first Camino.

Did they ask you to show a Green pass or antigen test etc.? Thanks

My first Camino.

Great info that , thanks for sharing it.. I’m hoping to start in September..

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I stayed in Albergue Pozueta, pre-covid. Lovely place, great host, great location, very quiet and comfortable, also really nice food and plenty of it!
I seem to remember feeling I would never reach it, but there were some encouraging signs and notices on the way to the albergue, which really kept me going. Enjoy your Camino.

So Zenarruza is open? It was my favorite on the Norte (for ambiance not luxury but I hear it’s been improved). I know everyone says Guermes but I hated that one, even more than the hostel in Guernica.

sounds like you’ve figured out housing! Not an easy feat on the Norte at high season during a pandemic.

Buen Camino!

Did they ask you to show a Green pass or antigen test etc.? Thanks

Obviously I needed proof of vaccination to get into Spain, but now I'm here nowhere has asked to see anything.

My first Camino.

When I walked the Camino in 2017 I thought 30 euros a day for a bed, a meal and some breakfast was good value for money. So over four years later and with the effects of COVID, to still find costs are similar is amazing! Stay safe!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am walking Norte starting Aug 13....any info is great. How are the resources along the way? Cafes? restaurants, etd

My first Camino.

In Bilbao, a must see is the Guggenheim Museum

My first Camino.

Thanks for the update. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Finished Norte last week. Not aware of an one having any accommodation issues or needing to show any COVID papers anywhere.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am walking Norte starting Aug 13....any info is great. How are the resources along the way? Cafes? restaurants, etd
Besides various threads here on the board, you can look at Gronze.com, and you can get guidebooks...we got 2 and worked with Gronze too before we left.

BC

I'm walking a week of the Norte from Comillas starting the 10th, and I'm really struggling to find anything I can book ahead. Now I know Booking.com is not the be all and end all of accommodation, but I've also phoned a few that aren't listed on there and everywhere seems booked up.
I would be happy to wild camp a few nights but haven't done it before and not very confident on where I would pitch. Any help very welcome!

So we're walking in September and checked out accomodation in zarautz - nothing affordable anymore for pilgrims. But since we're having a side trip to Santuario de Loiola, we got an accommodation in a pilgrim-like prices a few kms away from the Santuario...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My first Camino.

Hi thanks for your post. I’m planning to start the Camino early September from St Jean. My thought has been to book accommodation for the whole walk due to perhaps limited availability but looking at your post this looks like it may not be necessary? I have a fairly fixed view of my itinerary so would you suggest I push ahead and book everything or can I take a chance on availability whilst I’m walking? Any tips welcome.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Obviously I needed proof of vaccination to get into Spain, but now I'm here nowhere has asked to see anything.
Are you sure about this? I though my a PCR sufficed
I’m confused, and I know things are constantly changing, but are people here talking about getting INTO Spain?

I thought that the requirements were changed in late June to allow entry to anyone, with or without proof of vaccination or test results. Or is this only for US citizens?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Most start in France and walk into Spain, thus you need to follow French rules also. If you fly to Spain direct, then ignore all about France. Spain has no health pass and we are welcome.

I’m confused, and I know things are constantly changing, but are people here talking about getting INTO Spain?

I thought that the requirements were changed in late June to allow entry to anyone, with or without proof of vaccination or test results. Or is this only for US citizens?

UK travellers can certainly enter without proof of vaccine. A PCR will suffice.

It is only for US citizens and citizens from 22 other non-EU countries who travel from the USA and from one of these 22 countries directly to Spain. They currently do not need to be vaccinated and they do not need to be tested. The UK is currently not among these 22 countries but was once among them.

The rules for British citizens who travel directly from the UK to Spain have changed a few times, and even significantly, during the last few months.

The rules for EU citizens who live in the EU and travel from an EU country to Spain can change slightly from week to week, depending from which region in the EU they travel to Spain.

The last major category are those who travel from none of the above directly to Spain but must be vaccinated.

It's all on the SpTH website.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On a side note, travelling from Stansted to Madrid at the end of july, I saw a couple told the wouldn't be able to fly to Ireland as they hadn't filled a form in online. At the gate for the Madrid flight an entire family with children were told their PCR tests were several hours too old and they couldn't board.

Walking the Del Norte now as a couple and we are certainly having more trouble finding places between San Sebastián and Markina than you seemed to OP. Many places we’ve contacted are booked out a week. It must be the difference between early and mid August. Crossing our fingers to find something that won’t break the bank

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.