• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation from Le Puy to StJPdP

Mimioldie

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy (2017)
Starting in Le Puy in early September. Do I need to book ahead for accommodation or can I just turn up? Am on a budget. Any advice welcomed. Thank you

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Gidday Mimioldie

The French tend to book ahead - usually just one day.
Gites anywhere from Euro30 - Euro45 - a sensible budget is about Euro60 per day I think (including lunch, pharma etc..)
I have been watching youtube videos from Chris Atkinson here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsl56Gdr02w6G8Od5I60fOw He is brilliant to watch and quite funny. He just rocked up and most of the time got accommodation in Gites.
I am also doing Le Puy to SJPdP from 1 Sept. ( I have a tent so no problem with accom.) so maybe I will see you on the trail.

Take care and buen chemin

September has become a busy month, so call ahead. The French do, even for the gite d'etape. Demipension is 33-35E (bed, dinner, breakfast), but you can self-cater and keep it much closer to the 10E bed cost if you are on a tight budget. Remember that stores may be closed Sunday and Monday, so stock up if you are feeding yourself. Bon chemin.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Miam Miam Dodo lists all the accommodations on the Le Puy route, and listing prices and indicating which ones are English-speaking. If you are really trying to keep your cost down, research the less-expensive places and book them now. The municipal gites and the camping-grounds will likely be your best bets.

Gidday Mimioldie

The French tend to book ahead - usually just one day.
Gites anywhere from Euro30 - Euro45 - a sensible budget is about Euro60 per day I think (including lunch, pharma etc..)
I have been watching youtube videos from Chris Atkinson here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsl56Gdr02w6G8Od5I60fOw He is brilliant to watch and quite funny. He just rocked up and most of the time got accommodation in Gites.
I am also doing Le Puy to SJPdP from 1 Sept. ( I have a tent so no problem with accom.) so maybe I will see you on the trail.

Take care and buen chemin
Ah ... another Melbourninte walking in September ... My husband and I start on Aug 31 - no doubt we'll see you along the way! We'll be the two in Aarn packs :)

I also am walking in Sept. starting in Le Puy Aug 27 so get a few days head start but I am old so you will all pass me by. Coming from Mexico for my 3rd camino and am apprehensive and excited. Have a daughter and her friend walking the first week with me. Have a couple questions about payment for the French gites and DP. Are they are only taking cash? Are debit or credit cards ever accepted? How common are ATMs in the smaller towns we pass thru.
Thanks everyone for posting. It is nice to imagine having friends on the camino before I start. I'll be the one in the sombrero - just kidding.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are they are only taking cash?
Yes.
How common are ATMs in the smaller towns we pass thru.
La Poste usually have ATMs. Unless there is La Poste in the small town, it won't have an ATM. The Miam Miam Dodo lists the ATMs. Get a copy.

Credit cards are accepted in many hotels, but probably not in gites and chambre d'hote. I never tried to use my debit card. It probably is accepted in the same places as credit cards. Cash is king. Have some!

Thank you. Just as expected. Same in Spain and Norway. I have Miam Miam Dodo but didn't know I listed ATMs. Are they called ATMs in the book?

I also am walking in Sept. starting in Le Puy Aug 27 so get a few days head start but I am old so you will all pass me by. Coming from Mexico for my 3rd camino and am apprehensive and excited. Have a daughter and her friend walking the first week with me. Have a couple questions about payment for the French gites and DP. Are they are only taking cash? Are debit or credit cards ever accepted? How common are ATMs in the smaller towns we pass thru.
Thanks everyone for posting. It is nice to imagine having friends on the camino before I start. I'll be the one in the sombrero - just kidding.
Oh that's great! We'll be recognisable because of our enthusiastic (but probably laughable ) attempts at speaking in French!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Abbey in Conques took credit cards, which was very useful indeed!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back