• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in ALHANDRA

mick53

Time of past OR future Camino
Geira y Arrieiros, Torres 2023
Hi

I have seen references to the AHBV Alhandra in Wise Pilgrim but there seem to be no contact details.

Does anyone have any information on this accommodation?

Regards Mick53

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mick,

AHBV is an abbreviation for the local fire brigade (BV = bombeiros voluntarios). In the very early times, when the CP was not nearly as popular as it is nowadays, they offered a shelter for pilgrims (as they do for anybody in need, mainly homeless people). But with the increasing number of pilgrims most villages have ceased to offer this accomodation, as you can learn from this very up to date portugese website:

Via Lusitana - list of albergues

"Os Bombeiros Voluntários deixaram de receber peregrinos" means the fire brigade has stopped to accomodate pilgrims.

Considering the fatal woodfires in Portugal last summer you will certainly understand that they have more important tasks than looking after pilgrims.

They may still help you to find a bed for the night, but rather send you to some official accomodation (hotel, hostel, pensao, residencial) or a shelter for the homeless.

So you better try to find another place in Alhandra. If all efforts fail, you can still catch a train going one village Forward or back as there is a regular service between Lisbon (Oriente) and Santarém. every 30 minutes.

BC
Alexandra

I stayed at the Fire Station in Alhandra and shared my mattress on the floor with six fire engines and three ambulances. Luckily it was a quiet night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all, I stayed there last night (23/07/19) and can confirm they are accepting pilgrims but it is no longer on a donation basis. They charge €12. Accomodation was upstairs in a spare room with basic mattresses on the ground and some blankets. Toilets were basic gym style facilities. The people were super friendly and helpful!

Attachments

• C270FD4D-DB35-45CD-8B9C-D64DC62306D8.jpeg
    C270FD4D-DB35-45CD-8B9C-D64DC62306D8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • FFCF660D-B16B-40D9-8343-7D90A8A3CE72.jpeg
    FFCF660D-B16B-40D9-8343-7D90A8A3CE72.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 07A088D9-F6BA-4B1E-BC81-7DF86E0E71D7.jpeg
    07A088D9-F6BA-4B1E-BC81-7DF86E0E71D7.jpeg
    815.8 KB · Views: 4

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.