• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in July/August

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Hi all! There must have been a few of us on the CF at that time and I wondered what it was like for you.

I had only booked Orrisson and SdC and did wonder with trepidation whether there would be 'room at the inn' after all I had heard.... There were two of us walking together. I even had a plan B which was to leave the Camino altogether if the huge crowds materialised....

My experience was that there was plenty of room!

For instance in Larrasoaña, a couple I had dinner with that evening had a whole room to themselves in St Nicholas albergue. In Cirauqui, there were only three of us! I could go on and on, right to Sarria. I booked a lovely hotel in Viana the night before, same with the Meson del Cid in León.
We walked with a young Italian pilgrim who was limping so one of us would - on arrival - book her into a private albergue, to make sure. She used to arrive very late afternoon. Even then, we found there were plenty of beds available quite late, even in the municipal or parrochial albergues which were her preference.

Out of interest, what was your experience?

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am in Cacabelos and have hardly seen a pilgrim. Only two of us in the private Albergue. When I left Leon I had expected the Way to be far busier than it is. I walked today and only ran into two other pilgrims and spotted a couple of others in cafes. I left El Acebo at 7am this morning and arrived here at 2.30pm. Wondering what I am missing as surely the Way is busy right now?

I'm currently in Navarette, and so far the Camino has been very quiet. Nearly eight o'clock and only 7 out of 20 beds occupied in this Albergue.
I have yet to stay in a full Albergue, although some have been fairly full by 9 o'clock in the evening.
The hospitaleras\hospitaleros have been commenting on how quiet it is this year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked St Jean to Santiago from 7 July to 9 August 2016 and echo these sentiments entirely.

At two albergues I stayed at (in Cardenuela Riopico and El Burgo Ranero), I was the only person there and several others I stopped in had plenty of room.

I must admit that before leaving (I travelled from Sydney, Australia), I was spooked by some posts on this forum and especially by this comment in Brierley's otherwise sensational guidebook that - "The summer months can be very hot and accommodation, even water, in short supply. July & August are bedlam ..." (p.11).

So I decided to pre-book several hotels along the way, which I wouldn't do again. While the hotels were invariably nice and comfortable, I really missed the camaraderie of my fellow pilgrims and a great opportunity to meet like-minded travelers in the albergues. I also missed the spontaneity that not being locked into booked accommodation provides.

Of course, this was all pre-Sarria. From Sarria to Santiago, "bedlam" may well be the appropriate adjective and pre-booked accommodation is probably well-advised.

I walked St Jean to Santiago from 7 July to 9 August 2016 and echo these sentiments entirely.

At two albergues I stayed at (in Cardenuela Riopico and El Burgo Ranero), I was the only person there and several others I stopped in had plenty of room.

I must admit that before leaving (I travelled from Sydney, Australia), I was spooked by some posts on this forum and especially by this comment in Brierley's otherwise sensational guidebook that - "The summer months can be very hot and accommodation, even water, in short supply. July & August are bedlam ..." (p.11).

So I decided to pre-book several hotels along the way, which I wouldn't do again. While the hotels were invariably nice and comfortable, I really missed the camaraderie of my fellow pilgrims and a great opportunity to meet like-minded travelers in the albergues. I also missed the spontaneity that not being locked into booked accommodation provides.

Of course, this was all pre-Sarria. From Sarria to Santiago, "bedlam" may well be the appropriate adjective and pre-booked accommodation is probably well-advised.[/QUOT
Hi, I'm joining the Camino in Leon next week and hope to make it to Santiago by the 22nd. I'm so surprised to hear there are so few people. I had been hoping it was relatively quiet, but now that I am only starting out I hope there is a chance to meet a few people, for peace of mind if nothing else. Where would be a good place to stay in Leon? I don't mind being by myself, usually I prefer it, but I like to know that others are somewhere along the way as well. Thanks, Clodagh

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.