• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in Le Puy

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
I have walked the le Puy route before and stayed at Gite des Capuccins in Le Puy. This time would like to stay elsewhere as I thought it dark and dismal down in the dormitory part. Has anyone some suggestions of other accommodation? Thanks
Sharon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not sure when you are going but I stayed in the Gîte Relais du Pèlerin Saint Jacques- which is run by volunteers from the Le Puy branch of the French association of the friends of St Jacques- and is open from April to October. It can be booked ahead, but only by phone I think (and possibly only in French depending on who answers the phone.) It is at 28 rue Cardinal de Polignac- phone 06 37 08 65 83- and is in the historic part of town, not far from the Cathedral. I stayed there in 2012, and received a very friendly welcome when I arrived feeling quite tired from the Cluny route. The dorm room I was in had beds, not bunks, and had plenty of room between the beds. Maybe if you don't speak French, someone else could ring for you before your arrival. I booked just a few days ahead, though I think a French friend booked further ahead.
Margaret

IMG_7042.jpg IMG_7047.jpg

I stayed last year at the Gite Le Relais du pelerins St. Jacques in Rue Cardinal de Polignac, pretty central and you get your own room (sort of) and breakfast for a donativo (Please give generously if you can!) Buen Camino, SY

Edited to add:

That is the one I mean, only the dorms I saw in 2014 had partition walls between the beds making little cells with a wardrobe for each pilgrim. Door was a curtain, but still having your own little space for the night - priceless!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure when you are going but I stayed in the Gîte Relais du Pèlerin Saint Jacques- which is run by volunteers from the Le Puy branch of the French association of the friends of St Jacques- and is open from April to October. It can be booked ahead, but only by phone I think (and possibly only in French depending on who answers the phone.) It is at 28 rue Cardinal de Polignac- phone 06 37 08 65 83- and is in the historic part of town, not far from the Cathedral. I stayed there in 2012, and received a very friendly welcome when I arrived feeling quite tired from the Cluny route. The dorm room I was in had beds, not bunks, and had plenty of room between the beds. Maybe if you don't speak French, someone else could ring for you before your arrival. I booked just a few days ahead, though I think a French friend booked further ahead.
Margaret

View attachment 16146 View attachment 16147
Hi Margaret,
Do you remember we met in Moissac in 2012? I had used your 2008 blog to help with accommodation. The Gite you mention here sounds just right. Thanks so much.
Sharon

Thanks for your reply. This will be where I will book.
Sharon

Hi Margaret, Do you remember we met in Moissac in 2012? I had used your 2008 blog to help with accommodation. The Gite you mention here sounds just right. Thanks so much. Sharon
Hi Sharon, I'm sorry, I do remember being glad to meet a few people who had used my blog in Moissac, and I do remember meeting a few Australians, but I don't really meeting you there. It was pretty busy while I was there!
I really enjoyed the Amis gîte in Le Puy- and it was recommended to me by French friends who also stayed there. I found the people running it were very supportive and helpful, especially since I had just finished the Cluny route which was quite strenuous and mostly quite solitary.
Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We were in Ultreia in Moissac. There were 3 of us Aussies.

Attachments

• 1025.JPG
    1025.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
We were in Ultreia in Moissac. There were 3 of us Aussies.
Ah yes I remember from the photo. The rain jacket hood covers too much of your face, but now I remember, and I remember the very cold weather that led to an inside dinner as well!
Margaret

Yes, cold but beautiful. We will be walking in summer/autumn this year so hopefully, not as much rain. Walking from Le Puy again and then doing Camino del Norte. I have been reading your blog again. Thanks so much Margaret for the effort that you put into it.
Sharon
PS The photo with rainjacket hood was taken on Anzac day in a freezing Le Puy, 2012.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ahhh I remember the coldest day I struck in 2012- I was actually further north on the Cluny route, and it was April 23/24 that were the coldest days. The wonderful woman from the gîte at St-Haon-le-Chatel even came out looking for me to carry my pack because it was so cold. She wanted to do something to make the day's walk a bit easier for me! When I left Noailly on the morning of the 24th I think I had every available item of clothing on me- which truly was a rarity for me!
I'm glad the blog has been so useful.
Margaret

We will be in Le Puy on the 23rd April for two nights before we start our walk to SJPDP. We want the luxury of our own room with shower/toilet and close to the Cathedral. Any recommendations? If you do, then an email address will help as we will be arriving by train from Geneva around 6pm so would like to book before we left Australia.

We enjoyed our private room at Capuchins; it's not close to the Cathedral, but it is close to the route out of town in the morning.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I saw this in one of your earlier postings, it looks good. But where is it in Le Puy and how far from the Cathedral and the old centre of town? We like to eat out and so don't want to be wandering the streets late at night.

It is on the south side of town, a bit of a walk from the cathedral, but there is a good restaurant right across the street and they frequently serve dinner at the house . The owners are super nice just want to share their great house and meet people from all over.

Here's the view of the cathedral from the house, shot with my pocket camera at full zoom:

lep5.JPG

I have walked the le Puy route before and stayed at Gite des Capuccins in Le Puy. This time would like to stay elsewhere as I thought it dark and dismal down in the dormitory part. Has anyone some suggestions of other accommodation? Thanks
Sharon

I did not like that gite much either. The first time I stayed in Le Puy (for two nights) I got a "cell" in the former "Grand-Séminaire du Puy" just next to the cathedral. The dinners with lots of other pilgrims were very enjoyable. According to the seminary's website, pilgrims can still stay there:
http://www.catholique-lepuy.cef.fr/Accueil-Saint-Georges-Au-coeur-du.html
But when I tried to get a bed in June 2011, all rooms were rented out to some commercial event.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did not like that gite much either. The first time I stayed in Le Puy (for two nights) I got a "cell" in the former "Grand-Séminaire du Puy" just next to the cathedral. The dinners with lots of other pilgrims were very enjoyable. According to the seminary's website, pilgrims can still stay there:
But when I tried to get a bed in June 2011, all rooms were rented out to some commercial event.

Thanks for that Walter, it looks really good. We stayed at one in Santiago last year and it was fantastic. Do the rooms have private or shared bathrooms?

And do they have heating, it could be cold in April?

Hi Marbuck,
It was very cold when we were there in April,2012. It is a great time of year to walk as all the flowers will be in bloom and there will still be snow on the hills and mountains. We had lots of rain at the beginning.
Bon Chemin
Sharon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That also sounds good, Walter. I see in the MiamMiam Dodo that you can book there at present which I'd like to do as we'll be there in holiday time. Thanks
Sharon

Thanks for that Walter, it looks really good. We stayed at one in Santiago last year and it was fantastic. Do the rooms have private or shared bathrooms?
And do they have heating, it could be cold in April?
I don't remember any private bathrooms. Things might have changed in the last 13 years, but the photos still look like I remember the place.
I have no idea about the heating as I stayed there in summer. I expect there will be some heating, but I cannot guess to what temperature. Just drop them a line and ask.

I emailed the "Grand-Séminaire du Puy" today enquiring about accommodation for the 23 & 24th April. Unfortunately they are 'complete' for these dates. We are very sad about this as we were excited about staying there, but never mind, we will have to find somewhere else. Thanks for the link Walter. Can you recommend simular places anywhere along the Le Puy route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at the Grand-Séminaire du Puy for two nights at the end of September 2014 in a large single room with a sink (showers/toilets down the hall) for 22 euros, including breakfast. There were only three guests in the whole huge place at that time, and dinner was in a homey dining room with the small monastic 'family' that lives/works/studies there. I enjoyed my stay because I love big old rambling edifices, but it was chilly (damp and raining; heat not on yet) and the wifi didn't work. I got the impression that not many lone pelerins stay there, that it's mostly used by large groups, and I think it might be very, very noisy when it's in full swing, because the old wooden floors are creaky and the wide halls and staircases amplify sound like crazy. So, Marbuck, you may have escaped some sleepless nights!

You asked about similar places further down the road. I highly recommend the pilgrim accommodation in the beautiful Abbaye Ste Foy in Conques (contact info in Miam Miam Dodo). There are both dorm beds and private rooms, and a wonderful dinner is served in the rectory, warmed by a roaring fire, before everyone heads to the evening pilgrim's mass. It's quite magical. Bon chemin et bon courage!

I stayed at the Grand-Séminaire du Puy for two nights at the end of September 2014 in a large single room with a sink (showers/toilets down the hall) for 22 euros, including breakfast. There were only three guests in the whole huge place at that time, and dinner was in a homey dining room with the small monastic 'family' that lives/works/studies there. I enjoyed my stay because I love big old rambling edifices, but it was chilly (damp and raining; heat not on yet) and the wifi didn't work. I got the impression that not many lone pelerins stay there, that it's mostly used by large groups, and I think it might be very, very noisy when it's in full swing, because the old wooden floors are creaky and the wide halls and staircases amplify sound like crazy. So, Marbuck, you may have escaped some sleepless nights!

You asked about similar places further down the road. I highly recommend the pilgrim accommodation in the beautiful Abbaye Ste Foy in Conques (contact info in Miam Miam Dodo). There are both dorm beds and private rooms, and a wonderful dinner is served in the rectory, warmed by a roaring fire, before everyone heads to the evening pilgrim's mass. It's quite magical. Bon chemin et bon courage!

Thanks gml, I have taken note of the Abbaye St Foy and will try and stay there. We have booked into the I'Epicurium in Le Puy, it looks good. The closer you get to the cathedral the more expensive it gets.

We stayed above the Agapi Tea House in the main square. Funky, clean, reasonably priced.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I emailed the "Grand-Séminaire du Puy" today enquiring about accommodation for the 23 & 24th April. Unfortunately they are 'complete' for these dates. We are very sad about this as we were excited about staying there, but never mind, we will have to find somewhere else. Thanks for the link Walter. Can you recommend simular places anywhere along the Le Puy route.

Sorry, I missed your question. I don't know of any places comparable to the Grand Seminaire between LePuy and the Pyrenees. I mostly stayed at gîtes and of course in beautiful Conques in monastery accommodation. It's a place not to be missed.
Many people seem to like Moissac. For me, the nicest town town next to Conques was Figeac. When I walk next year, I will definitely have a rest day there.

I see that you plan to start in LePuy in April. There could still be snow on the footpaths between LePuy and Espalion, as you walk mostly at above 1000m altitude.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back