• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in Leon

Susanna Nel

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2018
Hi everyone! I am staying in Leon for 2 nights and would love advice on the best area to stay in? There is an old town, a city centre and then 'near the cathedral'? I would be coming from Madrid on the train. I love walking around at night so the area should be 'viby' and safe? Any suggestions on a hotel (private room, en suite and reasonably priced). I've read somewhere that the route starts close to the Cathedral? Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Leon the Benedictinas offer the Hospideria PAX
with private accommodation which is very nice and which you can reserve.
Here is their web--
http://www.hospederiapax.com/

Their Pilgrim albergue provides dormitory accommodation for 134 with shared facilities but does not accept reservations except for groups. Both facilities are located on the plaza Santa María del Camino.

The Hospideria has a pleasant dining room open to all with a good inexpensive daily menu .

While often staying in the pilgrim albergue I peeked at the Hospideria facilities which appear to be very comfortable. The choice is up to you!

Do check out the many tips/advice in this earlier forum thread re the Leon to Astorga stretch.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/leon-to-astorga.24955/

Buen camino!

Hi everyone! I am staying in Leon for 2 nights and would love advice on the best area to stay in? There is an old town, a city centre and then 'near the cathedral'? I would be coming from Madrid on the train. I love walking around at night so the area should be 'viby' and safe? Any suggestions on a hotel (private room, en suite and reasonably priced). I've read somewhere that the route starts close to the Cathedral? Thank you!

The old centre of Leon is rather small, so when you are in the old town you are also close to the cathedral.
The trainstation is also a merely 20 min walk ( via avenida Ordoño II ) to the cathedral.
I can recommend Hotel QH
http://www.hotelqhcentroleon.com/
It has a 24 hours reception and breakfast is very nice.
You can almost touch the cathedral.

Close is Calle Ancha where there is a supermarket called Carrefour Express and a good pharmacy should you need to stock up on some goods.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Leon the Benedictinas offer the Hospideria PAX
with private accommodation which is very nice and which you can reserve.
Here is their web--
http://www.hospederiapax.com/

Their Pilgrim albergue provides dormitory accommodation for 134 with shared facilities but does not accept reservations except for groups. Both facilities are located on the plaza Santa María del Camino.

The Hospideria has a pleasant dining room open to all with a good inexpensive daily menu .

While often staying in the pilgrim albergue I peeked at the Hospideria facilities which appear to be very comfortable. The choice is up to you!

Do check out the many tips/advice in this earlier forum thread re the Leon to Astorga stretch.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/leon-to-astorga.24955/

Buen camino!
thanks for that info, never knew they a dining room? next time am there will look at the dining area.

Hostal San Martin. Close to Cathedral , very clean and comfortable, not too pricey.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Susanna,

Not sure what you consider reasonably price but I've stayed at the Hotel Spa Paris a couple of times now and it has the benefit of being right on Calle Ancha, right in the centre, close to the cathedral and the restaurants and bars. After a week or so's hard walking it's also nice to have access to a pool and sauna just to unwind. 2 nights in April would be about €90. Is it the most luxurious hotel in the world? no, but I'd say it was good value and definitely close to all the action.

Buen Camino,

Rob

I started my Camino from there. The are sooo many hotel and hostels finding one is no problem. The city is small so location is not an issue. I went by price and pick-up point for my rented bike. Enjoy your last night of comfort. Don’t eat on the main drag as it is generally disappointing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This hotel is about a two minute walk from the cathedral. Approx 50Euro/nt.

IMG_20171010_142510322_HDR.jpg

I stayed at the Hotel Le Petit, located in the old town, just a few minutes walk from the Cathedral. Found it on booking.com. Very attractive and reasonably priced. I loved it and would stay again in a heartbeat!

Hostal Guzman El Bueno.
I was just wandering around Leon as I got there a bit early. Sort of stumbled upon it whilst looking for an auberge. Very close to the catedral and was quaint and clean. No complaints about my stay there.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hotel Don Suero. 10 minutes from the Cathedral. It's on the route. I had coffee in the street and watched the pilgrims walk by. I was lucky to find a room there as it the San Frolian festival was on and many places were full (october) Still only paid 35 Euros single room private bath.

https://man-walks-into-an-airport.com/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.