• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in Madrid

Kayci

Hi, I'm flying into Madrid on the 10 July 14. Can anyone suggest accommodation that is close to the metro? Or Charmartin?
Buen Camino
Kayci

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Metro Station Sol has quite a few hotels in the vicinity.

There is a 4 star hotel and extensive food court built into Chamartin station.

I stayed at a comfortable place called 'Chic and Basic' near Atocha Metro

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Chamartín, IMO, is not located in a very charming part of Madrid. There have been recommendations given on this topic in the past, try looking at a couple of these:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hotels-near-chamartin-station-madrid.20934/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/favorite-albergues-in-madrid.17477/

If it were me, I would stay either near the Gregorio Marañón (Line 10) or Bilbao (Line 1) metro stop. Both are on metro lines that go directly to Chamartín, and both are only a few stops away. It´s not a highly touristy part of Madrid, but it has some moderately priced hotels, very good restaurants, and all the shopping you could want to do if you need to buy anything before starting out. If you want cheap pensiones, head towards Puerta del Sol. The advantage of a place like sol is that you will be right at a Cercanías (commuter train) stop and can get to Chamartín very quickly, much more quickly than on the metro.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hotel Madrisol close to Puerta del Sol was nice. Cheap and clean and included a good breakfast. Check it ot on booking.com

Hi, I'm flying into Madrid on the 10 July 14. Can anyone suggest accommodation that is close to the metro? Or Charmartin?
Buen Camino
Kayci
Hi Kayci

I stay at Hostal Persal when I am Madrid. It is just near the Plaza Mayor [where they have a tourist bureau], and a short walk from the Sol metro station. They do a great breakfast, and I am staying there again in late May, before I catch my morning flight home from Madrid airport.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Alan! Can you give me a step by step of how to get there? And then to Charmartan the next day please? Its all a little daunting at the moment. Kayci :)

I also stay at Hostal Persal and I think the location is excellent! What a coincidence, Alan!
It's very central - just off Plaza Mayor.
HOSTAL PERSAL
transparent.png

Plaza Ángel, 12
28012 Madrid, Spain
+34 913 69 46 43
hostalpersal.com

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last month we stayed in the hotel Puerta Castilla 10 mins walk from Chamartin station. It‘s opposite Plaza Castilla metro. It was about £50 a night which wasn't bad for 2 people in Madrid but I don't know if it‘s much cheaper for single occupancy. It was fine. There‘s the Abba Castilla across the road which looks similar as well.

Thanks Alan! Can you give me a step by step of how to get there? And then to Charmartan the next day please? Its all a little daunting at the moment. Kayci :)

Hi, Kayci, I've stayed at the Persal as well. It's in a great location, very close to Sol (there are other places closer and cheaper, but this is a big, efficient, clean place). Transportation between the airport and Sol and then Sol and Chamartin can be done by metro, but the commuter trains Cercanias is much quicker.

Hotel terminal T4 to Sol. The trains (line C1, the only one arriving at the airport) leave 28 and 58 minutes after every hour, running between 6 am and 11:00 pm. Change trains in Chamartin. There will be several lines to choose from, just get on the next train arriving that displays Sol. Total trip is probably around 1/2 hour

Sol to airport. This is quick and easy. Line 3, 4A, or 4B will take you straight to Chamartin in 9 minutes.

The only thing that might complicate this a little is if you are arriving in a terminal other than T4. T4 is for Iberia and any airline in its alliance,One World, which includes BA and American, as well as others. If you arrive in a terminal other than T4, there's a free airport bus circulating regularly, which will take you from one terminal to the other. Upon arrival in T4, you will see the Cercanias sign prominently dispplayed. The sign is sort of a white backwards C, with the open part of the C tilting up and to the left, in a red circle. You can easily see it on google.

It may sound complicated but it's pretty straightforward, especially if your arrival and departure times aren't very early or very late in the day. Buen camino, Laurie

When I landed in Madrid, I was like a babe in the woods – but took a very cheap airport bus from the airport to Atocha station. Looked around, then checked into a posh and rather expensive hotel – the nearest I could see from the main entrance from the station. Was tired and wanted to be near Atocha for getting transport to Pamplona next morning.

But I got wiser. When coming back to Madrid, I took the back exit from Atocha – and was immediately in a street where 'pensiones' were all around. Had a lovely room there for a couple of days. You look for the sign of a pension on the building, ring the bell, and can get to see your potential room. – But mind you, walk out of the backside of Atocha. And it is central to everything.

annelise

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh... I'll be there on July 10.
Hi Kayci

Google "Hostal Persal" for their website. On that there are details of how to get there from the airport, with all the options, including the recommendation to do exactly as Laurie has said! Also there are instructions on how to walk from Sol terminal to the hostal. Perhaps you might even Google a street map of Madrid around the Sol metro area and print that off to take with you. As I understand it, all international flights land at Terminal 4 [T4], but Laurie may soon tell me that I am wrong!

Price for July 10th is 45 euros, plus 3 euros for a great breakfast. They do speak English at the front desk, and at the tourist bureau at the nearby Plaza Mayor.

Of course a lot of this will seem a little scary, on your first trip. Do not fear. All will be well.

Alan

Last edited:
Hotels near Chamartin are not plenty and not cheap, either. What I typically do if arriving late is stay at the Best Western Barajas, about 5 minutes from Barajas Airport. They have a free van/shuttle service to/from the hotel, I just call them when I am done and they picked me up outside bagagge claim area. Hotel is quiet, the staff is very kind and cordial, facilities are clean and comfortable. Transportation to/from airport, room, and a (great!) breakfast buffet included is about $80. That said, Barajas is well connected via public transportation with Madrid and you do have plenty choices. If you are taking a train from Atocha and need an overnight hotel, I recommend Hotel Prado, across the street from the station, small and great value. Puerta del Sol is a bit too busy for me, but I have stayed at Hotel Europa and liked it very much. Whatever you do avoid any lodging at Calle de la Montera (near Gran Via).

Also, check ALSA bus system. It leaves right from the airport (Terminal 4) and it may even have a bus leaving at a more convenient time than the train. I prefer the bus system, often is cheaper, better hours, the stations are more accessible, and I find the buses to be clean and comfortable. I have taken the bus many times from the Barajas Airport to Burgos, Logroño, Leon, and Pamplona. No complaints. I am heading back again to the Camino in June and plan to head out the same day; I am still researching which way, train or bus, is more convenient.

Last edited:
Thank you Olivares,
Maybe we can catch up in Madrid? This is my first Camino and I'm walking alone .... For the moment.
I'm only doing from Leon to Santiago this time. I'll return to complete the full walk when time permits.
Kayci

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last month we stayed in the hotel Puerta Castilla 10 mins walk from Chamartin station. It‘s opposite Plaza Castilla metro. It was about £50 a night which wasn't bad for 2 people in Madrid but I don't know if it‘s much cheaper for single occupancy. It was fine. There‘s the Abba Castilla across the road which looks similar as well.
I stayed in the Abba Castilla Hotel for a few days, which is located near Chamartin station. It was a nice place to relax after the Camino. It's located across the street from the Metro and major bus station. I would recommend it as a nice place to use as a base for checking out Madrid. Here's a pic. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago 2012 229.jpg
    Camino de Santiago 2012 229.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Thank you Olivares,
Maybe we can catch up in Madrid? This is my first Camino and I'm walking alone .... For the moment.
I'm only doing from Leon to Santiago this time. I'll return to complete the full walk when time permits.
Kayci
Kayci-- my plans are to arrive in Madrid on 28 June 2014 (with the Grace of God). I will be walking Sahagun to Santiago (also with the Grace of God! :)). So far, it looks that I will be taking the train from Chamartin in the afternoon. I always have a Plan B (..and C!) which is either train from Atocha or bus to Burgos and then bus to Sahagun.

I love to walk with company and I hope to meet many other pilgrims as in the past I have been blessed to do. I walk the Camino in sections with the hope of one day have the circumstances that would allow me to take as long as I can without impacting family and others that depend on me been there for them as well. If you arrive in such day and are heading out on that direction, let's roll!! Buen Camino!!

Buen Camino
Kayci

G'day Kayci

By the way, have you joined the Australian Friends Of The Camino [google AFOTC], so that you can take an Australian credential with you? It is easy enough to get a credential once you are in Spain, but I like to take the Aussie one!

Alan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
G'day Kayci

By the way, have you joined the Australian Friends Of The Camino [google AFOTC], so that you can take an Australian credential with you? It is easy enough to get a credential once you are in Spain, but I like to take the Aussie one!

Alan

Hi Alan,
You have helped me previously with my planning. I am now getting totally confused with accommodation in Madrid and thought you might be able to help me again. We will arrive from Australia at 8pm so will spend day 1 getting a bit of rest. As I have never been to Spain I would like to spend a couple of days sightseeing before heading up to SJDP. I would like something in the city centre, historic rather than modern, and am willing to pay up to 100 euros a night. Any suggestions? I will get a taxi from the airport. I saw somewhere that there is a fixed fee of 30 euros for that. Do you know if there is a wait for taxis? Thanks again Sonia

Hi Alan,
You have helped me previously with my planning. I am now getting totally confused with accommodation in Madrid and thought you might be able to help me again. We will arrive from Australia at 8pm so will spend day 1 getting a bit of rest. As I have never been to Spain I would like to spend a couple of days sightseeing before heading up to SJDP. I would like something in the city centre, historic rather than modern, and am willing to pay up to 100 euros a night. Any suggestions? I will get a taxi from the airport. I saw somewhere that there is a fixed fee of 30 euros for that. Do you know if there is a wait for taxis? Thanks again Sonia
Hello

I am sure that there are lots of people out there who can give you better advice than me! I have only ever stayed in Madrid at the Hostal Persal www.hostalpersal.com and then only overnight as I have always been keen to get on the road. Have a look at their website, they fall well within your budget, and they are very central. I can't help you with taxis as I have always caught the subway. If you do stay at the Persal, take their breakfast option, a great way to start the day. And they are just a short walk from the Plaza Mayor which has a very good tourist bureau, to help you plan the day.

Alan

Hi, Sonia,
Like Alan, I have stayed in the Persal. Nothing fancy, but it's nice, clean and central. When I go to Madrid, I usually take a look at hotels.com to see what special offers there are, and I have stayed in some really nice places at an amount well under your maximum. You can check neighborhoods on their website and if you want to be in a central area, I would check Sol and Gran Via.

As far as the airport taxi goes, I don't think that there is a set fare from the airport. Many taxi drivers will try to rip you off, in my experience, but if you speak Spanish and know Madrid you can usually shame them out of it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have treveled once by taxi from Puerta del Sol to the airport last year and they had a fixed price around 30 Euros. If you are willing to pay 100 Euros Hotel Moderno 100 meters from Puerta del Sol is nice. 80 Euros for a double i think. The hotel also have Camino signs in the lobby and you get 10 % if you book at there own website.
Another nice option is Hotel Asturias close to everything . This year I will stay at Hostal Oriente 49Euros also close to Puerta del Sol. Like you Laurie I book at Booking.com.
Good luck, Roger from Sweden

Another convenient possibility is going to Canillejas (in the middle airport-- center ). Hotel Tryp Alcala 611, 4 stars,
about 77 euros double room with breakfast included.
Near metro station "Canillejas" (line 5) and bus stop line 200 to the airport (1,5 euros).
Canillejas area also has a lot of places to have a drink and eat cheap.

I have treveled once by taxi from Puerta del Sol to the airport last year and they had a fixed price around 30 Euros. If you are willing to pay 100 Euros Hotel Moderno 100 meters from Puerta del Sol is nice. 80 Euros for a double i think. The hotel also have Camino signs in the lobby and you get 10 % if you book at there own website.
Another nice option is Hotel Asturias close to everything . This year I will stay at Hostal Oriente 49Euros also close to Puerta del Sol. Like you Laurie I book at Booking.com.
Good luck, Roger from Sweden

Roger, do you find any differences between booking.com and hotels.com? For some reason, I think I usually find a better deal on hotels.com. And I think they slice up Madrid into a lot more neighborhoods , and it also lets you select which landmarks you want to be near, which makes hunting easier.

I know it's not a big deal to use both, but I'm wondering if others have comparison information between the two sites. Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don´t know about hotels.com but I have booked alot of times on Booking and get 10% on alot of hotels and I like that it´s easy to change your reservation online and pay when you get to the hotel.

Roger

G'day Kayci

Alan

Hi Alan, can I have more info on the Australian credential,
cheers Phillipa.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Alan, can I have more info on the Australian credential,
cheers Phillipa.
Hi Phillipa

The web address for the Australian Pilgrim organisation is www.afotc.org

If you access this, it will tell you all you need to know re obtaining the Australian credential. The office is not manned full time so it might take a couple of weeks. When do you plan to leave? [I head off in 4 weeks from tomorrow]!

buen camino

Alan

Hi Phillipa

The web address for the Australian Pilgrim organisation is www.afotc.org

If you access this, it will tell you all you need to know re obtaining the Australian credential. The office is not manned full time so it might take a couple of weeks. When do you plan to leave? [I head off in 4 weeks from tomorrow]!

buen camino

Alan

Thanks Alan, have a fabulous trip, I start in September. buen camino.

Hi, Kayci, I've stayed at the Persal as well. It's in a great location, very close to Sol (there are other places closer and cheaper, but this is a big, efficient, clean place). Transportation between the airport and Sol and then Sol and Chamartin can be done by metro, but the commuter trains Cercanias is much quicker.

Hotel terminal T4 to Sol. The trains (line C1, the only one arriving at the airport) leave 28 and 58 minutes after every hour, running between 6 am and 11:00 pm. Change trains in Chamartin. There will be several lines to choose from, just get on the next train arriving that displays Sol. Total trip is probably around 1/2 hour

Sol to airport. This is quick and easy. Line 3, 4A, or 4B will take you straight to Chamartin in 9 minutes.

The only thing that might complicate this a little is if you are arriving in a terminal other than T4. T4 is for Iberia and any airline in its alliance,One World, which includes BA and American, as well as others. If you arrive in a terminal other than T4, there's a free airport bus circulating regularly, which will take you from one terminal to the other. Upon arrival in T4, you will see the Cercanias sign prominently dispplayed. The sign is sort of a white backwards C, with the open part of the C tilting up and to the left, in a red circle. You can easily see it on google.

It may sound complicated but it's pretty straightforward, especially if your arrival and departure times aren't very early or very late in the day. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,
I'm hoping that you monitor this tread even though it is 3 year old. My wife and I will be arriving in Madrid (from Washington DC) on June 5 2017 and booked at Hostal Persal for a night prior to our departure for Burgos the next day. We will take C1 to Chamartin then take the train with the Sol sign. I will buy the tickets for the Circania (C1) at T4, do I need to buy tickets for the train from Chamartin to Sol?

Butch

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.