• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in O Cebreiro

Cfran_sg

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2022)
Hi, my wife and I are going to walk the Camino Frances in Oct this year. We have managed to book our accommodations for all of the locations that we’ll be stopping at, except for O Cebreiro. We are considering Casa Navarro, and have emailed them a couple of times to make reservations. However, we’ve not got any response to the emails. Contacting them via their online website booking form also yielded no result. Can anyone suggest a way to get in touch with them, other than calling? Do they have a number to WhatsApp to? Or do you have other suggestions for accommodation in O Cebreiro that we can consider? Our preference is for a double room with private bathroom. Thanks much!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed at the municipal albergue in O'Cebreiro in 2017 as we were not opre-booking most of the time. It is a lovely and interesting village, but I must admit the muni there was one of my two very least favorites for several reasons. I had to remind myself to be thankful to be sleeping indoors with a bed and pillow, although I think it was the only night I did not take a shower in 35ish days as I was told by someone it was dirty and people were waiting in line. The bathroom I had already used validated the description.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you arrive without a reservation, the municipal albergue, at the far end of town, is your best - and likely only bet. O'Cebriero has always been a tight fit for lodging. It is just the nature of the thing.

Consider planning ahead and stay short of the top of the hill, or soon after you walk down from this charming and historic village.

I recommend Gronze for a more thorough collection of available lodging. The down side is that most all communication, written or verbal, needs to be in Spanish. You can use an online translator program to help you.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
My first camino, we stayed at Casa Carolo (a casa rural). The accommodations were nice and the restaurant decent, but the staff were a bit surly. On my second camino, I stayed in another CR, Venta Celta, near the road and it was awful - and I mean awful (very dirty and very worn). O'Ceb, I find, is not one of my favorite places to stay overnight. If/when I walk the Frances again, I will either stay in La Faba or walk down a ways to one of the other villages - maybe even do my stage to Tricastela. O'Ceb can be quite crowded (especially on a weekend) and there are not a ton of restaurants and cafes, so each was very full and the wait was long. Maybe it was just when I was there.....timing is everything!

Have you tried booking.com or their website?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked into O'Cebreiro in the snow this past April without a reservation. I knocked on the door of Casa Frade where I stayed in the past but it was closed (it may be permanently closed but I am uncertain). It was a nice place with perhaps 4 rooms. Given my choices were limited, I went into Casa Venta Celta (25 feet away) and found their place to be full HOWEVER, they have a relationship with a rural house just another 75 feet away. They walked me over there and I found it to be fabulous. Private room for 30 euro I think with private bathroom. It worked out great so perhaps you can contact Casa Venta Celta as an alternative. And by the way, dinner by the raging fireplace at Casa Venta Celta was delicious!

We wanted to stay at Casa Navarro for our camino coming up this summer also but they never responded to any of our contact. We decided to alter our path a little and stay in Pedrafita at As Miguinas do Cebreiro. It is about 2.5 miles from O'Cebreiro but it has excellent reviews on Booking.com and we will stay there the night before we tackle the mountain in the morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed at the municipal albergue in O'Cebreiro in 2017 as we were not opre-booking most of the time. It is a lovely and interesting village, but I must admit the muni there was one of my two very least favorites for several reasons. I had to remind myself to be thankful to be sleeping indoors with a bed and pillow, although I think it was the only night I did not take a shower in 35ish days as I was told by someone it was dirty and people were waiting in line. The bathroom I had already used validated the description.
In the interests of balance, just to say: I've stayed there twice more recently than 2017, in early Nov 2018 and 2022. Both times the albergue was busy (big main dorm was full) and all the bathroom facilities I used (and everything else) were perfectly clean.
My view is that on any one day, particularly in high season, there's not much a place can do about a disrespectful group that comes through and makes a mess. But it'd be a shame to convey a negative image of a place unless there are regular recent reports of uncleanliness at arrival time.

I had to remind myself to be thankful to be sleeping indoors with a bed and pillow,
Thus said, it was my personal experience although I understand what you are saying. I don't know how many good reports you suggest we hear and wait on any given subject before we are given the ok to share our own less than stellar experience.
P.S. I was at the muni in very early May and it was quite busy.

Oh well, here is my 2 cents of memories. I decided to do the horseback trip up the hill in a f...g sleet and snow storm. The popular restaurant at the end of town where the horses are collected is across the street from a place where I found a large warm bed and a shower. I wish I could attach a photo I took of the large tabby cat sitting outside my window in the snowstorm, obviously it had lost its cozy bed to a pilgrim.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re the Municipal Albergue @ O'Cebrerio do not accept baggage, so, if you were thinking of
climbing up there sans rucksack, if you arrive at the Municipal they will deny all knowledge.

I found mine at a restaurant in the village, no thanks to the receptionist at O'C.

I found mine at a restaurant in the village, no thanks to the receptionist at O'C.
I have never used luggage transport services so I found your post a little puzzling. Isn't it standard practice to confirm that the destination you have chosen accepts deliveries before you hand over your gear to the transport service?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In 2013, I arrived in Cebreiro in the early afternoon, just as a busload of pilgrims was unloading at the hotel. I wanted a quiet room for the night and was about to find out that the town was going to be full that evening (late September). I wandered into the nearly empty Venta Cetta cafe/bar and ordered a cup of wine (those white porcelain cups with red wine are hard to forget). Sipping my wine and considering walking on to the next town, I took a chance and asked the bartender if there was a private room in town, preferably one with a private bath. She said she had a room in her house, but the bathroom was shared with two other rooms (that might or might not be occupied). I found out she likes to appraise the people she rents to before giving them a key. I apparently passed the test and she handed me a key and asked for 35 euros. I didn't dicker, just handed her the money. She had her helper walk me down the road about two houses (might have been the last house in town) and voila, I was let in to a solid old stone house with beautiful interior woodwork. Upstairs at the end of the hall was my bedroom with a full bathroom next door. I slept like a baby that night, particularly after climbing that hill all day. Next morning, when I returned the key to the restaurant, the owner was overrun with pilgrims getting cafe con leche and a sweet roll. She motioned me to the end of the bar and fed me breakfast (eggs, toast, jam, cafe con leche). Then she sent me on my way with a "buen camino".
A most memorable experience.

During my Camino I went past O'Cebreiro and stopped at Albergue Linar do Rei in Liñares. Wasn't that far more of a walk and pretty much all downhill

Now.... some folks called it a "nothing more than a truck stop" ... whereupon I'll respectfully disagree as IMHO it doesn't even gets CLOSE to "a truck stop" (IIRC there is a small restaurant & even smaller grocery store across the street - that's about it) but the place was very comfortable and does have communal kitchen

Not sure if they are open the time of the year you are looking at but you can always contact them (and they are on Booking.com if need be)
Buen Camino

My experience is diametrically opposite

I was given a bed number at the entrance, the right of the two rooms. The room was airy, clean and there was a pleasant bustle between the pilgrims. Both rooms were full of pilgrims. I did the laundry and went to take a shower. The bathroom was OK, especially since at least 50 pilgrims used it before me. I expected a difficult night, eight pilgrims of which four down and four up, but I slept like a little baby.

O Cebreiro is a tourist and religious place. The village was reconstructed in the old style, and in the church there is a chalice with Christ's blood. That is why in addition to pilgrims there are also many tourists. And that also means crowds in restaurants and hotels.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cfran.sg, way too soon to give up hope at making reservation at Casa Rural Navarro! Cindi and I stayed there twice - during our 2021 and 2019 caminos. We loved it! There are only a few rooms, but our room was centrally located, cozy, heated, comfortable with double bed and private bath for only 40 Euros in 2021. We had a window that overlooked the small town. The couple that owns CR Navarro also runs the small adjoining store. We stayed there in October. Our last two caminos, we pre-booked every night with private rooms and private bathrooms. I recall it took several email messages for them to finally confirm our reservation. They did not respond quickly, so I just launched emails every six weeks or so until they confirmed. The email address we used was info@casaturismoruralnavarro.com. Keep trying, you'll love it! Bob

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, my wife and I are going to walk the Camino Frances in Oct this year. We have managed to book our accommodations for all of the locations that we’ll be stopping at, except for O Cebreiro. We are considering Casa Navarro, and have emailed them a couple of times to make reservations. However, we’ve not got any response to the emails. Contacting them via their online website booking form also yielded no result. Can anyone suggest a way to get in touch with them, other than calling? Do they have a number to WhatsApp to? Or do you have other suggestions for accommodation in O Cebreiro that we can consider? Our preference is for a double room with private bathroom. Thanks much!
We had the same experience with Casa Navarro in 2017 - they never replied to any of our emails or phone calls and we saw no other way to reserve a room. We ended up booking at Casa Carolo - we were hesitant because we had seen negative comments online, but our experience with them was good. We arrived before check-in time but they showed us to our room right away. It was a nice, clean, quiet room. We had meals there as well and, again, it was OK. The staff were pleasant to us. I would stay there again.

I stayed in Casa Jaime in Linares. It was unexpected, because we intended originally to walk up to Fonfría, but the weather turned really awful. We stopped at the coffee shop, and the lady in charge told us that there were available rooms -which were, actually, very good and comfortable, with a view over the hills (not the highway). And not expensive at 30 euros for two people. They prepared us a good dinner of cheese, ham and salad.
I thought it a bit odd, because the business was not announced as a hotel or pension. It is listed in Gronze as "casa rural", but only with a phone number.

In 2015 we stayed in La Faba, walking on to O'Cebreiro before ending our day in Fonfria. We spent the night at the private albergue A Reboleiro as walk-ins with no reservation, and it was very nice.

€83,-
For October 2021 I was able to book Casa Navarro via booking.com. It was very pleasant. The only downside was no specific facility to wash laundry other than the sink in the room.
How far in advance did you manage to book Casa Navarro on booking.com, if I may ask?

I have never used luggage transport services so I found your post a little puzzling. Isn't it standard practice to confirm that the destination you have chosen accepts deliveries before you hand over your gear to the transport service?
In a word, no.
Only in two places did I encounter any form of problem and one of them was at O'Cebriero.
I am pleased that you have had no reason to use the luggage services but what is puzzling about a perigrinos using such services.

what is puzzling about a perigrinos using such services.
I am aware that such services exist and that many people use them. I was surprised to read that you had addressed your luggage for delivery to a destination without first checking that the chosen place would accept it on arrival or at least confirming the alternative delivery address with your service provider. Your post sounded resentful towards the O Cebreiro hospitalera for not participating in the luggage transfer business. It is not safe simply to assume that your gear will be accepted at the albergue of your choice. A number of albergues refuse to work with luggage transport services entirely. Others are now limiting the types of luggage they will accept.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re the Municipal Albergue @ O'Cebrerio do not accept baggage, so, if you were thinking of
climbing up there sans rucksack, if you arrive at the Municipal they will deny all knowledge.

To be fair to the hospitalero/a, it is not part of their job description to look after luggage that arrives without its owner. Whether paid or voluntary, they work hard for long hours and often for little appreciation. The policy of not accepting bags is not made by the staff but they have to abide by it. If you are polite to the staff, however, they will usually tell you where your luggage has probably been taken, that is if the transport company haven't already informed you.

Incidentally, the question of whether and which albergues accept bags has been the topic of quite a few threads on the forum.

Isn't it standard practice to confirm that the destination you have chosen accepts deliveries before you hand over your gear to the transport service?

In a word, no.
Only in two places did I encounter any form of problem and one of them was at O'Cebriero.
I used the transport (NCA) pretty much through the whole of my Camino. Not ONCE did it ever occur to me to "confirm" that my next albergue accepts the luggage.... I just took it for granted.
I am not saying that I was correct in doing so - just merely stating the fact of my experience.

That said, I should also add that the only "municipal" albergue was Roncesvalles .... well... I think the El Camino de Santovenia in Santovenia de Oca is also "miunicipal" (but then its the only one in there), so perhaps that also explains why I had no issues with forwarding my luggage (a duffel bag) to the next destination .

Have booked La Escuela for my first walk up to O'Cebrio, (rode a horse last year) and then in the morning, hope to catch the sunrise walking the rest of the way. Continuing on to Fonfria and albergue Rebeliera where they serve one of the best meals on the CF.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My best friend and I stayed there last October. I began my search for a room in March to no avail. and I too very much wanted to stay in this delightful town. Finally I had a relative in Spain call them to make the reservation. They then confirmed it by email. It was the only way I found to do it. Here is their contact info. BTW the room was great, the bar inviting, and the food great.

Buen Camino Bob
Hotel Cebreiro
Cebreiro s/n.
Pedrafita do Cebreiro. Lugo 27670
Phone: 982367182/982367125
Email: hotelcebreiro@gmail.com

I was never able to connect with the Hotel Cebreiro by email. They never responded. It was only by phone that I got my reservation in 2022

Bob

€149,-
Have booked La Escuela for my first walk up to O'Cebrio, (rode a horse last year) and then in the morning, hope to catch the sunrise walking the rest of the way. Continuing on to Fonfria and albergue Rebeliera where they serve one of the best meals on the CF.
Where did you go to make arrangements to ride a horse? Did you ride the horse up the hill?

re: riding horse up the hill - make SURE your forward your backpack that day as you cannot mount the horse with one strapped to your back (i.e. not allowed.... and rightly so)
I supported Victor in 2020 through the fund-raiser that was mentioned here on the Forum and sort of was contemplating using the service once I got to general area.
In the end I hoofed it up (hmm.... pun intended or not? ;):rolleyes:...) Vega de Valcarce to Linnares ... and it was not "horribly bad". (TOUGH but not bad... at least for me)
I did speak to a German couple in my albergue later that night who did use the horses. They said it was a very interesting experience. IIRC they said it took about 1.5 hours from Las Herrerías to OCebreiro

Last edited:

€149,-
A note about luggage transport services...The efficient "correos" service provides a list of registered albergues; on the other side, it says that other places are possible, provided there is a person at the reception to receive the luggage. Probably is the same requisite with other services. It is worth noting, because many private albergues are actually a side business of cafe or restaurant owners; or managers arrive after midday. So, confirming the option at your destination could be a wise decision.

We stayed at Casa Anton - definitely the most expensive stay of the Camino - 80E for twin bedroom with private bathroom, but it was worth not having to keep on walking!

My first camino, we stayed at Casa Carolo (a casa rural). The accommodations were nice and the restaurant decent, but the staff were a bit surly. On my second camino, I stayed in another CR, Venta Celta, near the road and it was awful - and I mean awful (very dirty and very worn). O'Ceb, I find, is not one of my favorite places to stay overnight. If/when I walk the Frances again, I will either stay in La Faba or walk down a ways to one of the other villages - maybe even do my stage to Tricastela. O'Ceb can be quite crowded (especially on a weekend) and there are not a ton of restaurants and cafes, so each was very full and the wait was long. Maybe it was just when I was there.....timing is everything!
We stayed at Casa Carolo this past year in mid-September. We found the room and food to be more than adequate. And no one on staff was surly. So, yes, maybe it was a timing thing. 😎

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All open and available accommodation will be listed on the gronze.com website, with contact info etc. Some places might not have opened yet for the new year, normally they open for Semana Santa/Easter. More here: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/villafranca-bierzo/cebreiro
We stayed at Casa Anton - definitely the most expensive stay of the Camino - 80E for twin bedroom with private bathroom, but it was worth not having to keep on walking!
We did as well. I thought it was lovely. I needed medical care and they were so helpful. I may have missed someone mentioning it already but another reason to try to stay in O Cebiro is the pilgrims mass at the church, I found it quite special.

Last edited:
I recommend Casa Compelo in O Cebreiro. In the heart of town. Great hospitalaria. Albergue and private rooms with great sunset or Mountain View’s. Stayed there twice.
1677361791189.png

Hi. I walked CF in 2021, and stayed at Hotel O'Cebreiro, right in the heart of the village. It was clean, private bathroom, not very expensive, and they have good food.You could try to book with them?

€149,-
I walked the camino Frances 2 times and stayed overnight 2 times innLa Faba in albergur La Escuela , they have a bar restaurant too lovely people , simple place but clean and warm ( each time the weather was old but the owner made sure our room was well heated!
Nice to have a cafe con lèche next morning in O’ Cebreiro and see the sun rise if you are lucky enough
I walked the camino Frances 2 times and stayed overnight 2 times innLa Laguna en in albergue La Escuela , they have a bar restaurant too , people , simple place but clean and warm ( each time the weather was cold but the owner made sure our room was wel heated! My favorite stop before I’ Cebreiro the next morning
Nice to have a cafe con lèche next morning in O’ Cebreiro and see the sun rise if you are lucky enough

Agree 100%, it was the worst place we stayed for 30 nights

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back