• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in Paris

MelissaSue67

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to start my walk on 23 September (2016). Will be travelling from Paris by train to SJPP. Planning to spend about 8 days in Paris.
Hi,

I will be starting my walk from St Jean Pied De Port mid September. I will be flying into Paris, landing at Charles De Gaulle airport, a few days before I start my walk. I am trying to organise basic accommodation near Paris which is inexpensive, not a hostel, I would like my own room. I'm starting to get a bit bogged down with a lot of different options, and starting to get a bit lost. Does anyone have recommendations of places near or surrounding Paris to stay?

Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

I will be starting my walk from St Jean Pied De Port mid September. I will be flying into Paris, landing at Charles De Gaulle airport, a few days before I start my walk. I am trying to organise basic accommodation near Paris which is inexpensive, not a hostel, I would like my own room. I'm starting to get a bit bogged down with a lot of different options, and starting to get a bit lost. Does anyone have recommendations of places near or surrounding Paris to stay?

Thanks.
I don't but have you searched VBRO?

Since you are beginning a pilgrimage here are two Parisian accommodations sponsored by religious groups; the Freres Aveniat and the basilica of Sacre Coeur.

For secular accommodation in Paris have you tried CouchSurfing, AirBnB or searched Hostelworld for individual rooms?

Check out these earlier Forum threads for more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino in Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35+ years in France both in Paris and Champagne even after all those years for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

Thanks.

Airbnb.

I am flying into Orly on the 1st of June and have a great place a couple of km from Orly for just 35 Euros and my host has offered to return me to Orly the next morning so I can catch my Air France flight to Biarritz!

Food for thought: We're doing pretty much the same thing but in June. We're planning on making the fastest journey from CDG to St. Jean that we can so that we can stay in St. Jean for a night or two before heading out. We thought about staying in Paris, but it's secondary to getting off to the best start we can.
Buen Camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Problem is that hotels in Paris have long ago enthusiastically embraced "flexible tarifs", so a hotel which is a bargain one year may be prohibitively expensive the next...As a rule of thumb, downtown is usually more costly (but I have found in the past some exceptions...) and those near the limits of metro zone 1 (for example, Porte d' Orleans, which I have found good) are more reasonable. This does not mean non-descript and distant suburbs, actually; the zone 1 limits are well inside Paris, and you are no more than 20 minutes from Notre Dame.
Anyway, remember that hotels in Paris have really tiny rooms, and most are family-managed, so the reception may be only a person in a desk in a minuscule hall, and with self-service breakfast.
And, when you are in Paris, as above mentioned, you are already in the Camino. Below is a photo taken in Saint Jacques square, where pilgrims used to meet to start their walk, in older times.

AAAParis-Tour.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you everyone for responding. I'm now totally addicted to AirBNB. I never knew about this before. I am loving the idea of staying at hosts house far more than a hostel or hotel.

I'm flying home to the States from Paris and found a lovely AirB&B for 2 days reasonably priced and cheaper than most hostels! Just read the reviews of the hosts. Makes your choice much easier.
Hi S; Perhaps you can share with me the name, address and or ph# for this accommodation? Thanks so much! D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would recomend Rick Steves travel book on Paris for budget hotels and touring plans.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.