• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in Paris

GailGwyn

Time of past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi, we're going to travel from the UK to Paris next April, by Eurostar. We want to stay overnight, either near Gare du Nord, or Montparnasse.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place, with private bathroom, please?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, we're going to travel from the UK to Paris next April, by Eurostar. We want to stay overnight, either near Gare du Nord, or Montparnasse.

It’s not exactly ‘pretty’ Paris round the Gare du Nord at night; Montparnasse is better; but there are much nicer parts of Paris if you’re doing more than just passing through. The Marais?

On our last camino, as we flew into Paris from Montreal, we spent a night there before heading to SJPP. Let me recommend the Hotel Esmeralda in the shadow of Notre Dame Cathedral. We found prices to be good for the city and location was excellent. A quick 10 minute Uber the next morning put us at Gare Montparnasse for the relaxing train ride south.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I stayed at the Hotel Odessa in 2019, it is a short walk from Gare Montparnesse. I am walking the Camino del Norte next May and will stay at the Hotel Odessa again.

Hi, we're going to travel from the UK to Paris next April, by Eurostar. We want to stay overnight, either near Gare du Nord, or Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place, with private bathroom, please?

Hotel Orchidee, 65 rue de l'Ouest, 14th arr., Paris, 75014. Great place, don’t fall for the expensive breakfast, easy walking distance to Gare Montparnass

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Have you tried Airbnb? Should find plenty of listings there.

check out the Generator Hostel Paris. It’s about a 1.5 km walk, or easy metro ride from Gare du Nord. I stayed there after my Camino. Clean, quiet, great common areas and restaurant. They have private rooms for ~100 euro, which is very good for Paris.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My advice for what it’s worth stay away from Gare du Nord it’s like a scene from the Star Wars cantina around there, I’ve never felt so uncomfortable also Paris taxi drivers are lunatics and will do anything to over charge you. I stayed in the Ibis at Montparnasse (there are 2 close by) very handy for an early train in the morning and reasonably priced for Paris. Buen Camino

Hotel Parisiana, 21 Rue de Chabrol, 75010 Paris, France. I've stayed here myself.
Walking distance from GdN, right next to Marche Saint Quentin, a covert market hall and yes, GdN area is grungy, but also has some of the best Indian food in (continental) Europe.

Adveniat is run by the Catholic Assumptionist Society and aimed specifically, but not only, at Pilgrims. It is a quiet place one block from the Seine. Just been refurbished.
Good food and a lovely flower garden to relax in
I cant remember what metro station I used to get to Gare Montparnasse to catch the 8am-ish TGV to Bayonne (Only one stop at Bordeaux) but no problem to get to Gare Montparnasse.

Another suggestion - Just plug 'Montparnasse' or 'Gare Montparnasse' into Booking.com. Not Paris or Paris Montparnasse. You'll then get a good selection to browse thru.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My advice for what it’s worth stay away from Gare du Nord it’s like a scene from the Star Wars cantina around there, I’ve never felt so uncomfortable also Paris taxi drivers are lunatics and will do anything to over charge you. I stayed in the Ibis at Montparnasse (there are 2 close by) very handy for an early train in the morning and reasonably priced for Paris. Buen Camino
From 30 years experience of the area, I would like to agree with you whole-heartedly @Paul Wilson, HOWEVER...

At least at that cantina, one could bring in their blaster and/or light saber! French Customs frowned on admittance of such items and so I had to rely on situational awareness honed from my youth in 60's and 70's Chicago...and occasional harsh language. ;)

So, yes, my advice is to avoid staying in the GdN area...at all costs.

I much favor the 7th arr for lodgings as the neighborhood was always rich in history, generally great views at every turn, and....oh my...the markets on Rue Cler!

It is an easy walk to Montparnasse though a taxi or Uber can whisk you there in mere minutes.

B

It’s not exactly ‘pretty’ Paris round the Gare du Nord at night; Montparnasse is better; but there are much nicer parts of Paris if you’re doing more than just passing through. The Marais?
I think we'll be getting the afternoon Eurostar from St Pancras, so it's just a place to lay our heads before getting the train to Bayonne the next day.

I think we'll be getting the afternoon Eurostar from St Pancras, so it's just a place to lay our heads before getting the train to Bayonne the next day.
That’s what I did, you can get a taxi from the rank at Gare du Nord to Montparnasse if you head to the exit to the right of the station when you come off the platform it has stewards/security who sort the queue don’t worry if it seems long, it moves very quickly Gare du Nord to Montparnasse should cost between €20-€30 but be prepared for a 15 min white knuckle ride but plenty of reasonable accommodation near the train station @ Montparnasse for a quick early departure in the morning. The train is great and an easy switch to the SJPdP train at Bayonne hope you enjoy your journey, buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That’s what I did, you can get a taxi from the rank at Gare du Nord to Montparnasse if you head to the exit to the right of the station when you come off the platform it has stewards/security who sort the queue don’t worry if it seems long, it moves very quickly Gare du Nord to Montparnasse should cost between €20-€30 but be prepared for a 15 min white knuckle ride but plenty of reasonable accommodation near the train station @ Montparnasse for a quick early departure in the morning. The train is great and an easy switch to the SJPdP train at Bayonne hope you enjoy your journey, buen camino
Thank you

Do you know if there's a bus that goes from GDN to Montparnasse?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back