• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difficulty finding accommodation in Roncesvalles or Burguete for April 2022

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Norte- Primitivo 2019
Frances 2022
I’ve been looking at accommodation ( a double room) for the first few days of the Frances, specifically Roncesvalles or Burguete on 22 April but without success. Is this because the hotels etc are closed at present? I had no problem in SJPdP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kind of depends on where you were looking. More information usually helps

Still some availibity on bookingdotcom.
Gives you an idea about prices but not availibility ( more rooms than bookingsite wants you to believe ).
So mail or whatsapp the lodgings directly. Better price for you and for the owners ( who do not have to pay a hefty percentage ).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve been looking at accommodation ( a double room) for the first few days of the Frances, specifically Roncesvalles or Burguete on 22 April but without success. Is this because the hotels etc are closed at present? I had no problem in SJPdP.
SJPP has a much larger offer of double rooms than Roncesvalles. As you say, on booking.com, the Hotel Roncesvalles itself is fully booked for 22 April and what is left is a 4-beds room at La Posada and a 4-beds apartment at the Casa de los Beneficados which belongs to the Hotel Roncesvalles. The only other option is the Casa Sabina (which I think is never on booking.com). I would not wait. By all means, contact them all directly. I’ve never made the experience that others have made: when a place was fully booked online, they were also fully booked when I contacted them directly. Best of luck and Buen Camino!

We stayed at Hostel Burguete after SJPDP. It looks like they are closed now but it seems that they have rooms available April 22nd. Here is a link to their reservations page. You can call or send in the form to make a reservation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Hotel Roncesvalles is a phantastic place to be! You can also book a double room at La Posada.
During the winter the Hotel Roncesvalles is closed and as the albergue is closed too, Hotel La Posada is in use for pilgrims in shared rooms with bunk beds at a special rate.
You can send an e-mail (preferable in Spanish) to: hotel@roncesvalles.es
Although the hotel is closed, someone of the administration will certainly send you an answer.

If an establishment has not yet allocated rooms to Bookingdotcom, the site search results will indicate that there is "no accommodation available" for the dates you are searching. When you see this many months in advance it's not that no rooms are available -- it's just there are none available via the booking website. As others have suggested, contact the establishment directly.

Having stayed in Roncesvalles on three separate occasions and one resulting in a plunge from a top bunk bed (broken heel) we look forward to our stays at Hostel Burguete. The Management are good people and the food has always been amazing. the atmosphere is like stepping back into the late 40s. Someday I want to go back and just spend a week there during the winter

(Just don't touch the piano.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SJPP has a much larger offer of double rooms than Roncesvalles. As you say, on booking.com, the Hotel Roncesvalles itself is fully booked for 22 April and what is left is a 4-beds room at La Posada and a 4-beds apartment at the Casa de los Beneficados which belongs to the Hotel Roncesvalles. The only other option is the Casa Sabina (which I think is never on booking.com). I would not wait. By all means, contact them all directly. I’ve never made the experience that others have made: when a place was fully booked online, they were also fully booked when I contacted them directly. Best of luck and Buen Camino!
I booked Casa Sabina through booking.com

I have looked at Gronje and Booking.com.
Having stayed in Roncesvalles on three separate occasions and one resulting in a plunge from a top bunk bed (broken heel) we look forward to our stays at Hostel Burguete. The Management are good people and the food has always been amazing. the atmosphere is like stepping back into the late 40s. Someday I want to go back and just spend a week there during the winter

(Just don't touch the piano.)
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. They are much appreciated. I have sent a couple of emails and have received a positive response from Casa Sabina. I’ll see if I get any other today before confirming with Casa Sabina.

I have looked at Gronje and Booking.com.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. They are much appreciated. I have sent a couple of emails and have received a positive response from Casa Sabina. I’ll see if I get any other today before confirming with Casa Sabina.

Casa Sabina does a great Menu del Dia :)
Or did when I was last there. (2018)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just one other that hasn't been mentioned.
Camping Urrobi.
It's a couple of clicks down the Pamplona road from Burgette. It has a variety of accommodation (and a pool yay!) and easy access back onto the Camino.
Use button top right to translate the website.
Regards
Gerard

During my Camino Frances I took hotel rooms for most of my accommodations. However, my experience in Roncesvalles staying in the new clean dorms was wonderful. If you are going to try the dorm experience anywhere I would strongly recommend Roncesvalles. Furthermore, we woke up the next morning to the music of Gregorian Chant. Overall Roncesvalles was a wonderful experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just one other that hasn't been mentioned.
Camping Urrobi.
It's a couple of clicks down the Pamplona road from Burgette. It has a variety of accommodation (and a pool yay!) and easy access back onto the Camino.
Use button top right to translate the website.
Regards
Gerard
Thanks for the suggestion Gerard. It now looks like I’ll get accommodation in Burgette.
Regards,
Ralph

When you first start your Camino , I would advise staying at the big monestary albergues in Roncevalles as your first night . While in this massive place you will see and interact with a few dozen walkers that you will se again and again for weeks . It’s nice to see a familiar face in the coffee bar down the road. The old barn albergues which is now the haunted overflow building down the hill was once the only place to stay and crammed so many people cheek to gowl you could hardly dress in the morning .

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When you first start your Camino , I would advise staying at the big monestary albergues in Roncevalles as your first night . While in this massive place you will see and interact with a few dozen walkers that you will se again and again for weeks . It’s nice to see a familiar face in the coffee bar down the road. The old barn albergues which is now the haunted overflow building down the hill was once the only place to stay and crammed so many people cheek to gowl you could hardly dress in the morning .
They accept reservations (and payment) online at https://alberguederoncesvalles.com/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.