• Some parts of the forum are not loading as they should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Accommodation in Santarem

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
Please note that accommodation in Santarem in the old town is very limited. The fire station has closed and moved to the edge of town, sorry my portugese is limited so I couldn’t get an address.

The Misericordia is a school and does not take pilgrims grid searching the town in the middle of the night (for nearly 4 hours) looking for a place to stay. The church next door does organise accommodation for large groups of Fatima pilgrims in summer which isn’t much use to us.

Most of the places listed the Brierley and CJS guide are closed and have been for years apparently. Muralha is still there but the grumpy owner won’t open is doors to pilgrims and prefers well heeled travellers who pre book. We nearly ended up sleeping in the hay of the full sized manger scene (it was mid Dec after all, and raining) at the front of one of churches. We ended up paying 70 euro for two and staying at the unimpressive hotel on the edge of town.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for posting this - it was on our list of places to go and we weren't able to find any independent info until we cam across your site! Thanks.

James

One probably expensive, but very convenient and nice-looking, alternative is the Casa da Alcacova, http://www.alcacova.com/ingles/ingles.html I have never stayed there but saw it as I was making my way through the old town's Santiago's Gate, which is where you leave the old part of Santarem to continue on. The path takes you down to the Ribeira da Santarem, the river-level hamlet outside Santarem. I have been told that there are cheap accommodations near the train station (Santarem's train station is down at river level here, rather than up in the city itself), but I don't know the name and can't find anything on the internet. The Caminho does not pass the train station directly, but it is a very quick detour, visible from the caminho.

Santarem is definitely a stop on the Caminho Portugues in need of pilgrim accommodations. Unlike most cities of this size, the pensao/residencial offerings are lacking and all you've got are upper end hotels.

Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
P.s. In the original online CSJ guide from Lisbon to Porto, I reported that the Residencial Victoria was a pilgrim option. I've just heard from a recent walker, who has stayed there and confirmed that it's a good choice. Here are the details: Residencial Vitoria, Rúa Segundo Visconde de Santarém 19, tel. 243 309 130.

But it does just seem like Santarem is one of those places that is crying out for a pilgrim place.

Bom caminho, Laurie

In March we stayed in Santarem. We went to the Turist-information and ended up in Recidencial Beirante near the center of the city. 50€ with breakfast. OK - nothing more, but with few places to stay - OK. Bjørg

Back