• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in Saugues

marbuck

Time of past OR future Camino
Condom to Pamplona April 2016.
Le Puy to Condom France - April-May 2015.
Roncesvalles to Santiago April - May 2014
Finisterre to Muxia May 2014
I want to book a nights accommodation in the 'Cite a la Ferme' in Saugues. I have heard such good reports about the place. I am trying to do this from Australia so I want to do it via email. I do not speak a word of French so calling by telephone is out of the question. Does anybody have an email address for this Cite? If you do, it would be very much appreciated if you could pass it on to me.

Or failing that, does anybody have any recommendations on a simular place to stay with private rooms, and an email address?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, I think you mean "gîte" and not "cite" (a gîte is a French holiday cottage, or similar accommodation usually on a farm, a "gîte d'étape" is a stopover on a long hike or in this case pilgrimage) - in any case is this what you're looking for?

http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/itiermartins/index.html

(Sorry, they don't seem to have an e-mail address...)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've tried checking out a couple of other links and it seems this particular gîte is e-mail free… I haven't done the Le Puy walk (yet!) so maybe others have suggestions… (otherwise PM me and I'll make a quick call to the gîte for you!)

Their phone number seems to be also a fax number, so you could try sending them your reservation / enquiry via an efax, see myfax.com, from your computer. Hope that helps, SY

Hi Marbuck, we stayed here in 2012. It is a beautiful gite with ensuite accommodation. I remember there being overnight pot set yoghurt from their cows' milk. Delicious! I booked it from Australia. I think I went through the French Gite site or the regional gite site. Did not ring though.
Sharon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Couple of suggestions:
  1. Find a friend who speaks French or a local teacher of French and have that person make the call for you. If you are taking a smart phone, I suggest buying some credit on Skype and using Skype to call the landline of this property. Then, as you hike, whenever you have a strong internet connection you can use Skype to call landlines or mobile phones back home. Make sure that if you do call the gite that you take into account the time differential between your mountaintop in Oz and France.
  2. Send an email to a tourist office and request that they make the reservation for you. There is a large tourist office in Le Puy and their brochure on the hike gives this address for an office in Sauges: Tourist Board of the Gorges de l’Allier/Margeride, Office in Saugues, Cours Gervais : Tel./Fax. 04 71 77 71 38 - E-mail : ot.saugues@haut-allier.com
  3. Expect that a deposit may be needed. I had to send a twenty euro bill to a gite in Finieyrols because I couldn't make a wire transfer economically (from the US).
Hope this helps. Bon chemin.

Last edited:
I want to book a nights accommodation in the 'Cite a la Ferme' in Saugues. I have heard such good reports about the place. I am trying to do this from Australia so I want to do it via email. I do not speak a word of French so calling by telephone is out of the question. Does anybody have an email address for this Cite? If you do, it would be very much appreciated if you could pass it on to me.

Or failing that, does anybody have any recommendations on a simular place to stay with private rooms, and an email address?

I think you will be ok in April , we stayed "there" in May a few years ago and only booked after landing in Le Puy.
Good town , plenty of good accommodation.
Turned up on market day and if required i will send the name of a wonderful french cafe/bar full of antique furniture up a cobblestone lane way that have rugby jumpers from most international sides on the wall.
They will offer you champagne , enjoy their company.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dinner at the Gite, highly recommended:

giteferme.JPG

We stayed there in September. We called to make reservations. Call after 3pm local time. They are closed until then. We arrived at 1pm and chilled out (literally, because it was raining) at a bar on the main drag. This place is 400m to the left off the main road at the center of town. Dinner was very, very good.

Thanks everybody for you replies. One of the members of our bushwalking club speaks French. So she kindly rang the Gite a la ferme in Saugues and arranged a reservation for us. So we now have our room in Saugues at the Gite we wanted. Thanks for the photo Newfydog, looks like a very social meal, we booked demi pension. Roll on April.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back