• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Irun - Day One

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-SC ('08) C.Frances ('11/'12) C.Norte ('13/'17) C.Portugues & Kerry C.('18)
Hi everyone,

I'm arriving in Irun, straight from Biarritz airport, next Monday afternoon.

Is it possible to stay in the Hospital de Peregrinos de Irún albergue, even though I have not walked that day?

I tried to book the other hostel on the camino, but it is already booked up.
I've walked the Camino Frances before, but this time I'm going with more limited funds. Also, staying in an albergue, means that I have less chance of getting lost the following morning!

I'd appreciate any feedback. Otherwise I am looking forward to 19 days of walking, even though the terrain might be a bit difficult!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to stay in the Hospital de Peregrinos de Irún albergue, even though I have not walked that day?

I've walked the Camino Frances before, but this time I'm going with more limited funds. Also, staying in an albergue, means that I have less chance of getting lost the following morning!

I'd appreciate any feedback. Otherwise I am looking forward to 19 days of walking, even though the terrain might be a bit difficult!

Yeah, its fine to stay there for the first night.....I did that earlier this year. You can also get a Credential there and register for beginning the Camino. Good albergue, breakfast also, by donation. Very friendly hospitalero!
Buen Camino
Aidan:)

Ps. Its a lovely walk....you'll have a great time!

Thanks Aidan for your prompt reply!

I'm so looking forward to this camino now, even if I am not quite prepared for the hills!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks MendiWalker!

If it is too tough, I'll just do shorter stages. That is why I want some funds in reserve; just in case.

Thanks MendiWalker,

I only have 19 days, so I will not reach Santiago this time, but the camino is not going anywhere, so I'll hopefully be back next year to finish the second part of the Camino del Norte!

Keep in mind that it opens at 4PM. You can also get your Camino shell there . . . (by donation)
Buen Camino ! The first day is stunning and exhausting, the Aubergue in Donestia is situated on the opposite side of the city : so just keep in mind that once you get there you still need to walk another 3 km or so . . .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola a todos!
I'll arrive at Irun on the 30th July, at 17:00, according to your past experience, do you think there will be free camas at the Hospital de Peregrinos??
I'm just trying to walk on the cheap :)

I guess I may also stay at said Albergue but not until the 19th of August or so. Also, I plan to walk the Tunnel Route and that has it's own challenges I'm sure. Anyone else going that way late August?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess I may also stay at said Albergue but not until the 19th of August or so. Also, I plan to walk the Tunnel Route and that has it's own challenges I'm sure. Anyone else going that way late August?
I will be arriving Irun on the 20th and on my way the 21st!

Are you walking the Tunnel Route?
No, I haven't heard of this one. Plan to do the Norte but probably using the E9 trails as much as I can as I would like to stay as
close to the coast as possible. . we shall see. I am curious now and will have to look at the "tunnel".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, I haven't heard of this one. Plan to do the Norte but probably using the E9 trails as much as I can as I would like to stay as
close to the coast as possible. . we shall see. I am curious now and will have to look at the "tunnel".
It's not a well known route and that's partly why I'm doing it. I also need to get to Granon on the CF. I have a posting there as a hospitalera for 2 weeks beginning Sept 1.

I am arriving in Madrid on August 30th at 10am and taking the train that arrives in Irun around 9:40 PM. Will need to get from train station to Hotel Alcazar. Is this going to be a problem getting to the hotel at that hour? Would San Sebastian be any easier?

Hi, rickster, I don't know if going through San Sebastián would be any easier, but since a 9:40 arrival in Irun gives you time to go to your hotel, shower and dress, and then go out for dinner and not feel rushed or like you're the last man standing, I would say it works pretty well!

Buen camino on the norte, would love to hear from you "live" on the forum! Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, rickster, I don't know if going through San Sebastián would be any easier, but since a 9:40 arrival in Irun gives you time to go to your hotel, shower and dress, and then go out for dinner and not feel rushed or like you're the last man standing, I would say it works pretty well!

Buen camino on the norte, would love to hear from you "live" on the forum! Laurie
You should have no problem what so ever.

Enjoy the Camino del Norte.

When you get near Bilbo and you don´t mind some company for a day let me know if it´s a Sat. or Sun. might be able to walk with you.

Ondo Ibili !
Thanks, MendiWalker. I am currently scheduled to arrive in Bilbao on Sunday evening, September 7th, take a rest day on Monday and get back on the trail on Tuesday. Doesn't look like that will match up with you, but thanks for your kind offer

Thanks, Laurie, I forgot about the late hours in Spain.
Rick

Thanks, Laurie, I forgot about the late hours in Spain.
Rick

Well, this may be one of those rare occasions when a pilgrim actually gets to enjoy those late dinners! I am really looking forward to hearing about a September Camino del Norte, because I've always thought it would be a perfect time to go -- still good weather but the tourism should be way down so you won't feel so squished by all the tourists. Buen camino, not long now. Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's not a well known route and that's partly why I'm doing it. I also need to get to Granon on the CF. I have a posting there as a hospitalera for 2 weeks beginning Sept 1.
Where will you be coming from? I thought i would bus down to Irun from the airport in Biarritz .... but have had thoughts of walking from there lately. 2 more days then on my way!

Just came back from the camino.
No words guys, pure and simple magic.
I'm glad I made this wonderful experience.
I wish you all the best! :)

We will be arriving in Irun about mid day and would like to start walking. Where can we get out Credential stamped at that time of the day?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Where will you be coming from? I thought i would bus down to Irun from the airport in Biarritz .... but have had thoughts of walking from there lately. 2 more days then on my way!

Hello Vicky. I am planning to do the same. Arrive late on 4 September and will walk to the airport Ibis hotel. Next morning walk to the nearby Chemin du Littoral and continue to Hendaye, then Irun for the night and onwards. Found the trail online with maps and reference points though it does not follow the actual coast... Can always take a bus if it proves disappointing. Gatwick flight gets in late which has occasioned this schedule... Laurie, hello again after our communications as I walked the Llevant in June. Filly

Hello Vicky. I am planning to do the same. Arrive late on 4 September and will walk to the airport Ibis hotel. Next morning walk to the nearby Chemin du Littoral and continue to Hendaye, then Irun for the night and onwards. Found the trail online with maps and reference points though it does not follow the actual coast... Can always take a bus if it proves disappointing. Gatwick flight gets in late which has occasioned this schedule... Laurie, hello again after our communications as I walked the Llevant in June. Filly

Ok, filly, what's the deal? How do you get to walk another camino so soon?!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi everyone,

I’m starting El Norte March 1st. As per my research and wise Pilgrim Guide neither the Irun hospital de Peregrinos nor the parochial Albergue Juvenil are open next week.

I’m starting El Norte March 1st. As per my research and wise Pilgrim Guide neither the Irun hospital de Peregrinos nor the parochial Albergue Juvenil are open next week.

Hi Colette, you are a victim of yet another old thread. The OP was arriving in Irun in July 2014 ;).
Jill

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back