• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accommodation list for the italian part of via francigena

caminka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
see signature
my two cents on the via francigena accommodation. (it actually starts in martigny on the swiss side because I thought it would be cool.) it's oriented towards pilgrim-specific and pilgrim-friendly budget accommodation, compiled from various sites and various blogs.
may it serve you well! :)

the link to resources section with the file: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...t-for-the-italian-part-of-via-francigena.672/

updated in december 2018

updated in april 2019.

updated in june 2019.

updated in august 2019.

Attachments

• accommodation FRANCIGENA IT 2018.pdf
    541.4 KB · Views: 317
  • accommodation FRANCIGENA IT 2018-12.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • accommodation FRANCIGENA IT.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
my two cents on the via francigena accommodation. (it actually starts in martigny on the swiss side because I thought it would be cool.) it's oriented towards pilgrim-specific and pilgrim-friendly budget accommodation, compiled from various sites and various blogs.
Thank you for this resource, @caminka. I'm about to head off to San Gimignano in a couple of days and walk down to Rome, so this is very useful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
if you head to the resources section, there is a small update under the discussion there.

finally, the promised update of the accommodation list, from december.

Attachments

• accommodation FRANCIGENA IT 2018-12.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is fantastic, thank you! I'll be starting out of London on May 8th and will definitely hang on to this list for when I get to Switzerland. I'm surprised at the number of donativos listed there - maybe the expense won't be quite as high as I thought.

This is fantastic, thank you! I'll be starting out of London on May 8th and will definitely hang on to this list for when I get to Switzerland. I'm surprised at the number of donativos listed there - maybe the expense won't be quite as high as I thought.
:)
as far as I know, donativos in switzerland are rare. pilgrim prices are chf 25-30, everything else is ridiculously expensive.
in italy, donativos usually expect about €10 so you should account for that.

also, I can't guarante that everything listed is still operating. information is sometimes quite confusing. we all appreciate the updates from the walking pilgrims. :)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is great - thank you so much. I will be walking the Tuscany Region in late August and is my first walk. I was thinking if I should book in advance or not. This helps alot. Thank you!
you're welcome.

I've just seen that parrochia in buonconvento is on the last official accommodation list again. can anyone confirm this?

and now that I've come to the last accommodation list, there are some incosistencies towards the end.

- monastero di carmelitane in sutri is reported not to accept pilgrims. recent info would be helpful.
- ostello di apollo is probably part of hotel tempio di apollo in isola farnese, not in la storta.
- maison della cattedrale I found only in sutri, not in rome. maison san francesco on the same address doesn't exist at all? or is perhaps the extension of maison della cattedrale.
- base scout la valletta is a campground in la storta, not in rome.
- cobragor is an agriturismo accessible from monte mario alto, not at all near central rome.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the promised june updated file. two days to go!

Attachments

1.3 MB · Views: 23
updated list of the accommodation from Martigny after I returned from the VF. it's on A3 format because I added more details and notes that may be useful to future pilgrims.
notes and comments from other pilgrims welcome!

Attachments

1.9 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
updated list of the accommodation from Martigny after I returned from the VF. it's on A3 format because I added more details and notes that may be useful to future pilgrims.
notes and comments from other pilgrims welcome!
Caminka
This is a really useful resource. Thankyou for keeping it updated.
I'm going to get my first taste of walking in Italy in 2020...starting 4 March from Siena before heading back to Spain to finish my VDLP. I've been reading up on many posts in this section of the forum and some great blogs too. A few recommend in Siena... Ostello Casa Delle Balie. I've tried to look up their website but am confused as to whether it is open then or how to go about booking.. Or is it strictly a walk in? I was wondering if any other walkers along the Francigenca would have advice here please.. or advise a place that is situated right in the heart of the city. There are a number of rooms on booking dot com (with 2 single beds) but I'm not sure how far from the via they are..

I'm walking the section from Siena to Rome with another lady that I walked with last year on Camino de Madrid and we would probably stay 2 nights in Siena before we start …

Many thanks for your contributions to this forum.
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Caminka
This is a really useful resource. Thankyou for keeping it updated.
I'm going to get my first taste of walking in Italy in 2020...starting 4 March from Siena before heading back to Spain to finish my VDLP. I've been reading up on many posts in this section of the forum and some great blogs too. A few recommend in Siena... Ostello Casa Delle Balie. I've tried to look up their website but am confused as to whether it is open then or how to go about booking.. Or is it strictly a walk in? I was wondering if any other walkers along the Francigenca would have advice here please.. or advise a place that is situated right in the heart of the city. There are a number of rooms on booking dot com (with 2 single beds) but I'm not sure how far from the via they are..

I'm walking the section from Siena to Rome with another lady that I walked with last year on Camino de Madrid and we would probably stay 2 nights in Siena before we start …

Many thanks for your contributions to this forum.
Annie
thank you, it always makes me warm inside when someone finds my lists useful. ;)

for the date you are leaving siena, I think ostello casa delle balie is still closed and that's why you cannot go through with the booking. I tried to book for two people and it gave me the message 'non disponibile'. then I tried to book for may when it should already be open and got the same message. maybe they just don't accept reservations yet. try the email on the website (ostellosms@operalaboratori.com) or this one (sienasms@operalaboratori.com) which should be for the tourist office. on VF, I called two days in advance, I think, and booked for two nights. no problem.
ostello is right in the centre of siena, practically on the square with the cathedral and the tourist office.
given your dates, I think there should be no problem getting a reasonably priced room in the centre of siena. perks of off season walking. :)

you can try the official VF site, go to the stages (stage siena - ponte d'arbia), enlarge the map and enter accommodatin. this will give you their location regarding to the VF itself: map with accommodation.

So much help. I’m grateful..
I’m pleased to know it wasn’t just me that couldn’t get a clear booking.
I’ve yet to load the VF onto my phone but I’ll now check out the links you’ve just sent .

I did do a little bit of research and put a booking on ‘the booking dot com site for Hotel La Perla. It came up as reasonable for a private twin room., with private bath and breakfast. (Free cancellation (.

I’ll be sure to update you with any new info I find along this section.

Annie

I did do a little bit of research and put a booking on ‘the booking dot com site for Hotel La Perla. It came up as reasonable for a private twin room., with private bath and breakfast. (Free cancellation (.
that is wonderful. a little luxury before the start of the walk won't go amiss. :)

I’ll be sure to update you with any new info I find along this section.
that would be wonderful. you can post on the forum and I'll transfer the info to the list. the planned update is somewhere in march, but perhaps I will get it out in april instead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks very much for your work on the accommodation list. I am hoping/planning on walking the section from Aosta to Siena in the autumn of next year. Your list will be very useful.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back