Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accommodation list(s) on primitivo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hello!

I haven't noticed a thread with such an explicit title so I am adding one. and my little contribution towards it. if you have problems with the file, try this link: http://caminka.eu.pn/downloads.html.

caminka
Thank you for this useful material. A word of caution regarding the private in As Seixas. Last May when I was there they wer only offering food. Something to do with not getting the permits to operate as an albergue. And while they said they would open by 8am for breakfast they did not. There is a truck that comes by the muni in the evening so you can purchase food for the next day, there are also vending machines. This being said, the caldo gallego at the muni was delicious!

In Oviedo there is also a new albergue at no. 8 on covadonga street.

Finally, I see many, many, many fuentes listed that I never saw. I did see some water running from the mountains into some sort of basins, but would not consider it necessarily potable. Did your sources bet these and explain where to find them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware of Villa Cecilia in Oviedo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
thanks everyone!

[QUOTE="A word of caution regarding the private in As Seixas. Last May when I was there they wer only offering food. Something to do with not getting the permits to operate as an albergue. And while they said they would open by 8am for breakfast they did not. There is a truck that comes by the muni in the evening so you can purchase food for the next day, there are also vending machines. This being said, the caldo gallego at the muni was delicious!

In Oviedo there is also a new albergue at no. 8 on covadonga street.

Finally, I see many, many, many fuentes listed that I never saw. I did see some water running from the mountains into some sort of basins, but would not consider it necessarily potable. Did your sources bet these and explain where to find them?[/QUOTE]

ok, I will add a question mark to casa gorinos and an x under shop at xunta. does that mean that you can get dinner at xunta?
I added hostal la peregrina in oviedo. it's not albergue, but it does have rooms for 20 per room (double or twin) if I understand their calendar correctly.

for drinkable water I use guides which mention very few, google video feed (where sometimes you can read an inscription that says potable or no potable, and I assume that if there are people there filling their flasks, the water is fine), tourist office maps, blogs, but mainly I use openstreetmaps which are done mostly by locals, and pilgrims that have already been there (eg. most of galicia has no fountains but along caminos there are quite a few), so I hope they know what they are putting on with the signs for drinkable water. I usually have no qualms drinking from mountain springs, especially in forests or if they come directly from the rock or out of the ground.

what is wrong with villa cecilia?

At the muni is As Seixas you can have dinner if you buy from the food truck, but it's food truck food, and the vending machine: bocadillos, yogourt, etc.. Casa Gorinos is 100 meters aways and serves good meals.

When my 10 year old son and I went to Villa Cecilia we both got the creeps from the owner and her adult son. I asked to see the rooms first, she insisted on stamping my credential first. The beds were stuffed into tiny rooms in her cellar, you would have to climb over beds to get to some. It was dank, and there was no egress in case of a fire. I politely said we would not be staying and she tried to rip my credential up since she had stamped her sello. We literally ran from there. That was my experience. Also it is not centrally located. Search this forum, others had similar creep-outs. Oviedo is full of central low cost accommodation, especially if you are sharing costs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
oh, wow, that is one creepy experience. I don't put any positive or negative empahsis in my lists (lack of space) and hope people research around forums a bit before they decide where to go.
as it is now both municipal and villa cecilia are equally away from the centre. the reason villa cecilia is the first in oviedo is simply because the way to go there is the first you reach when coming into the centre. all my lists are organised this way, in the order you pass the establishments (or the way to go there) on the route.

and the corrected list which I forgot to post yesterday.

Attachments

• accommodation PRIMITIVO 2016.pdf
    541.2 KB · Views: 55
When my 10 year old son and I went to Villa Cecilia we both got the creeps from the owner and her adult son. I asked to see the rooms first, she insisted on stamping my credential first. The beds were stuffed into tiny rooms in her cellar, you would have to climb over beds to get to some. It was dank, and there was no egress in case of a fire. I politely said we would not be staying and she tried to rip my credential up since she had stamped her sello. We literally ran from there. That was my experience. Also it is not centrally located. Search this forum, others had similar creep-outs. Oviedo is full of central low cost accommodation, especially if you are sharing costs.
Can you clarify which year this was as the albergue may have changed hands since you were there?

Hello caminka, and thank you for putting together all that info for pilgrims! There is however a similar pdf around, made by Liz Brandt.

I am the hospitalero at Ponte Ferreira, and would like to correct a couple of things about my albergue:

Breakfast is 3,90€ and dinner is 9€.
Opening hours are from 13.00 to 22.00h
Opening months are from mid March to full October

All the best!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thank you for the corrections, Juanma. will be posting the updated file as soon as possible. prices are rounded up, except the prices for beds, that's why there's €4. perhaps you can suggest to gronze.com to correct their hours, too, as it's there where I got them? and put them on your site?

Thanks for making me notice! I thought I had actually updated them about our new opening hours (the ones written on the gronze site are last years'), but it seems I didn't, or they forgot to do the update... o_O I will let Joan (the guy that runs the site) know immediately! ;)

Oh!, and regarding our web site... I just added the opening hours info! Thanks for the suggestion! ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
an updated list for the primitivo. (june 2016)

Attachments

• accommodation PRIMITIVO 2016.pdf
    607.4 KB · Views: 60
When we stopped at the church at San Roman de Retorta in May this year it looked as though the bar had closed down. We meant to ask at Casa da Ponte but forgot. @Juanma might know or be able to find out. Lovely albergue at Fereira, @Juanma showed us round - thank you :)

When we stopped at the church at San Roman de Retorta in May this year it looked as though the bar had closed down. We meant to ask at Casa da Ponte but forgot. @Juanma might know or be able to find out. Lovely albergue at Fereira, @Juanma showed us round - thank you :)

Hi Tia. When I was there about ten days ago, the bar was closed but opened within s few minutes of arrival. After we all got our drinks, the owner went away again. But he came back to reopen just as we were leaving. So maybe the hours are sporadic.

One addition. There is now a second albergue in Ponte Ferreira, A Nave. 800 m on the camino before albergue Ponte Ferreira. Both are great. A Nave is new, modern design, has private rooms. Meals provided and bar. Lots of open space. The second one is in an old stone house and is also very comfy. I've stayed in both and can highly recommend both.

Hi! As far as I know, the bar in San Roman is still open; but as Laurie said, they have ramdon opening times, not very reliable. Sometimes, if the couple has to go to Lugo for some shopping or paperwork, the bar may remain closed even if it is the high season and a time of the day with great number of pilgrims passing by and wanting to have a drink or eat something. It is mostly the same but even worse in Taberna Rodrigo, just before the Mesón de Crecente, about 1km before San Román: this taberna is closed 90% of the time; they only open seldom, and mostly for locals, and then if you are a pilgrim and happen to walk by and need a drink, you may be lucky to get it (or not).
The most reliable bar where to stop for a drink or some food is the Parrillada As Searas, about 9-10km from Lugo: an old place, but a nice old couple runing it and with good food and prices. There is a sign at the Camino announcing it that says it is 50m to the right, but it is more like 100-120m.

Caminka, I will be sending you a private message to correct some information from your pdf, if you don't mind. Thank you!

gracias por compartir. Voy a utilizar esta guía en mi próximo Camino más adelante este año

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A newbie question. Primitivo is going to be my very first camino (in the first half of May). I am just wondering, what could be the optimal daily distance for me. I feel fit enough for longer sections, however I am not a rushing type, either, but should I worry about albergues getting full in this season (municipal ones preferred)? I've just read the guidebook of a guy, who always hit the road very early in the morning and reached the targeted place as one of the firsts. This is not my attitude. :) /his journey was about the French route in summertime, so it might be quite different/

Wecome @skyforger
Having walked the Primitivo with my husband we walked about 20kms a day, which was best for me. Our rough guide is thinking how far we can walk with our packs before setting out, then add about one third to get a possible daily distance on the pilgrimage. Some people can walk the Primitivo in 12 days, others need much longer. As ever the best advice is to start slow, with shorter distances and then build up as you go along, with the first day or so based on how far you can walk now/before you set off.
Our shortest day was 6kms (for sightseeing purposes) and the longest was 24kms (accomodation distance) - with a short ride to ease the 27km day (Asturias/Galicia border) which was beyond me at the time. We aimed to reach our destination for a (late) lunch most days so that we were in reasonable time for chores and also for getting a bed. I cannot speak for the bed situation as it has improved I believe since 2012 and there are more places now than then, but we did not see any real problems that May.
Buen Camino

A newbie question. Primitivo is going to be my very first camino (in the first half of May). I am just wondering, what could be the optimal daily distance for me. I feel fit enough for longer sections, however I am not a rushing type, either, but should I worry about albergues getting full in this season (municipal ones preferred)? I've just read the guidebook of a guy, who always hit the road very early in the morning and reached the targeted place as one of the firsts. This is not my attitude. :) /his journey was about the French route in summertime, so it might be quite different/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Three years ago I walked the Primitivo the first two weeks of May and only once did I not find a bed at the Albergue most convenient, and that was because five of us "gathered-up" in one town and were walking together that afternoon. We decided that the day was long enough and hired a local to take us to another Albergue 10km farther down the road. Going again late May so I will see how it looks later in the year. Buen Camino!

hello!

I haven't noticed a thread with such an explicit title so I am adding one. and my little contribution towards it. if you have problems with the file, try this link: http://caminka.eu.pn/downloads.html.

edited: file updated (4. 4. 2016).

caminka
Hello there, The download of your accomodation list failed? Any chance you could send to me if I provided email? Thanks, Paddy (Ireland, of course!)

Hello there, The download of your accomodation list failed? Any chance you could send to me if I provided email? Thanks, Paddy (Ireland, of course!)
PAddy, you are replying to a post that is almost 2years old. This might explain why the link is not workin. And I don’t know if the person who posted it is still on the forum, so don’t be shocked of you don’t get a response. Why not take a look at the Ersoki and gronze sites, they will give you the info on all the albergues on the route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi, try again. I have just clicked on the attachment in the very first post, and it opened fine for me.
Jill

I have no problem downloading any of the files. you are still having problems? send me a pm.
please note that several new albergues have popped up last year and some may have closed (o padrón after a fondagrada is not on gronze anymore, for example).

PAddy, you are replying to a post that is almost 2years old. This might explain why the link is not workin. And I don’t know if the person who posted it is still on the forum, so don’t be shocked of you don’t get a response. Why not take a look at the Ersoki and gronze sites, they will give you the info on all the albergues on the route.
Many thanks, Paddy

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back