• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Notes, Vila do Conde to Pontevedra

kstaylor

Some notes on what I've used for accommodations -- all are listed in Brierley, some are less expensive than he indicates. Starting mid-April and now into early May I've had no problem finding rooms, usualyly arriving mid to late afternoon and always without reservations, as I have not so far been certain how long I would stay in each area. I'm travelling alone, so the prices are for one..

Vila do Conde -- O Manco D'Areia -- 25 Euros/night w/private bathroom. Central, on the main praca, No breakfast, wifi at Cacao (on the praca, a smokey bar, but with some nice chocolate treats on the menu.

Sao Pedro de Rates -- I first tried the Casa de Mattos, but it was closed and the neighbor was not sure if it would open again. So I went to the albergue -- only nine staying there, so plenty of room.

Barcelos -- Residencial Arantes -- 20 Euros/night -- private shower, toilet down the hall -- great location on the main praca with a pastry shop downstairs for breakfast. There is wifi at The Garden (yes, the name is in English)..

Lugar do Corgo -- Casa da Fernanda. Plan your trek so that you can stop here for the night. Fernanda and Jacinto are a treat. They put together a dinner with all but the fish from their own garden, even included their own wine. There was a French couple and myself that evening (they have had as many as 18 staying there). Had a great evening of conversation. And breakfast. Thinking it was as good as any mildly expensive Casa Rural, I wanted to pay a commensurable amount and tried to give them 40 Euros, but Fernanda would have none of it, wouldn't even buy my argument that I was happy to overpay to accommodate someone who could only pay a little, and she would only take 20 Euros.

Ponte de Lima -- Hotel Imperio do Minho -- 32 Euros/night w/ discount, breakfast included, can get municipal free wifi, nice deck for drying clothes. If I were planning this trip again but with less time and could only pick one town for a stay of a day or two it would be Ponte de Lima. Lots of charm and a lovely riverfront.

O Repouso De Peregriino -- 15 Euros/night. Just 1 k before the Rubiaes Albergue, but after the steep steep climbs up to the Alto da Portela Grande you will be dead beat. Free car transport to a nearby restaurant and back. nice room and shower. She wakes everyone up at 7 for breakfast. Coffee lovers will want to soon stop at the first cafe as the coffee is the downside of O Repouso -- some instant stuff that was only 20% coffee. Tea drinkers will be OK.

Valenca -- Hotel Lara -- 35 Euros/night-- breakfast included, wifi in the lobby, nice deck for drying clothes, great room and good-size bathtub -- felt great to soak my legs for a while. Very close to the Portas da Coroada entrance to the walled city.

Porrino, Hotel Parque, hardly in the luxury bracket as Brierley claims, 37 Euros/night w/discount, wifi. Good value. Central.

Redondela -- Hotel Alvedosa listed in Brierley is closed, has been for two years. Met two people who stayed at a private albergue -- there are direction signs in town. I stayed at the Redondela Albergue. About 3/4 filled. Some really loud snorers.

Arcade -- Hotel Avenida, 20 Euros/night , wifi in lobby, great value. Lots of construction nearby for an AVE extension.. Arcade has a pleasant bit of bayfront. Nice stop if you want two light walking days from Redondela to Pontevedra.

Pontevedra -- Hotel Ruas, 30 Euros/night, wifi, very nice, dead center of the old city. Cafe downstairs for breakfast, etc.

--- that's it for now, more after I get to Santiago.

Kit
kstaylor@centurytel.net

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kit, Your information is bang up to date. It may reassure some not to be involved in the race for beds.
May your adventures continue.

Buen Camino.

Many thanks for all that info. Hopefully, walking the Portugues next year!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
thanks for the prompt answer !we are a couple too and we will like to sleep in the same room
we intend to walk the Portuguese in april - may this year
thank you !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks for the prompt answer !we are a couple too and we will like to sleep in the same room
we intend to walk the Portuguese in april - may this year
thank you !

I advise you to give Fernanda or Jacintho a phonecall on beforehand to be sure they can lodge you in their house. They speak english. Ask for a "cama matrimonia" as being mentioned a double bed in Portugal ans Spain.

Their phonenumber you can find in the Brierley guide or at this forum.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...it will be helpful as I am starting from Matosinhos on Tuesday sept 29th 2015...hope to post as I travel...when finished wife and I plan to do the Rota Vicentina Oct 17-27

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back