Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation on Camino Invierno

handzondeck2

Time of past OR future Camino
Life is one big adventure - follow your dreams.
Hi all
Does anyone have a list of suitable accommodation for the Camino Invierno? I'm trying to plan suitable stages. Also is the start easy to find from Ponferrada?

Many thanks

Sharon

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sharon,
Nice to see that you keep returning to Spain.
If you access the C.S.J. website you will find an on-line guide for the Inverieno, updated in 2011, available for free download.
Have fun
Dael

Hola, Handzon:
It is easy to find the start in Ponferrada, it is practically outside the pilgrim albergue! Just hang a left at the first bridge you come to, at the roundabout with the cruceiro. There´s a huge Invierno sign there. Make a right on the other side of the bridge, and just follow the river from there.

Unfortunately not all the hospitaleros at the Ponferrada albergue are encouraging to pilgrims considering the Invierno alternative -- some pilgrims are warned the route is badly marked or there is no infrastructure for pilgrims. These hospitaleros do not know what they´re talking about. True, there are fewer albergues, and no "free" places to stay. But it is a splendid camino. I highly recommend it to any experienced pilgrim who wants to leave the Moving Sidewalk that at times is the camino after Ponferrada.

Rebekah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll second Rebekah's endorsement. The Invierno is extremely well marked now. The signage in Castilia/Leon is with the big familiar granite bollards/mojones and the ceramic concnas. From there on, there is some variation, sometimes the metal signs with stick figures, sometimes wooden signs with "Camino de Invierno", sometimes arrows, but all in all the signage is excellent.

Neither the hospitaleros in the albergue nor the people in the tourist office are well informed about the details of the camino de Invierno, unfortunately. I was heavily lobbied by the hospitaleros, who really thought I was nuts to undertake the route alone. I assume this attitude will change as reality catches up with the mythology, but it is unfortunate.

buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie and Rebecca

For your kind words of encouragement. Hopefully the weather will be good. I'll try and post on this forum

SharoN

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back