• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation on de la Plata around Easter.

CTreacy

Oh no , not again.
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese ( Sep 2017)
Primitivo ( Sep 2018)
Norte (Aug / Sep 2019)
del Plata ( Mar / Apr 2020 ?)
I am planning to start the Via de la Plata in April. Easter in 2020 is April 12th. I believe there can be accommodation issues in Spain around that time. Would it be better to postpone my start in Seville until after Easter ? Is it the week before or after Easter that is particularly busy ? Are albergues ok and just hostels and B&Bs in major towns are booked out ?

Also a friend may join for a part of it and does anyone have a view on whether the Caceres to Salamanca or Salamanca to A Gudina section is more interesting ?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Would it be better to postpone my start in Seville until after Easter ?
According to my experience in 2018 it is the Holy Week (from Palm Sunday to Easter) which is crowded on the camino and in the albergues. Many spanish pilgrims are on vacation in this period and use it for some days of walking. After easter it becomes much more quiet.
But why not coming to Seville some days before easter to observe the very impressive processions in this week? But if you do so, book your accomodation there well in advance.
does anyone have a view on whether the Caceres to Salamanca or Salamanca to A Gudina section is more interesting ?
Just my personal proposal: Caceres to Salamanca. The part from Salamanca to Granja de Moruela I found quiet monotone (except for Zamora itself).

My advice is to not postpone your trip because of Easter. Rather, embrace it! Don't avoid Easter; plan for it.

Yes there will be accommodation issues - mainly in the larger cities and neighbouring areas during Holy Week (the week leading up to Easter Sunday), especially the nights of Thursday April 9, Friday April 10 and Saturday April 11. So figure out where you will be on those nights. If it is Seville, Guillena, Zafra or Merida, book something immediately on booking.com. Maybe plan an extra day or half day to watch the activities.

I'd expect "everything" in Seville to be booked, at a high price, well in advance, but Easter in Seville is supposed to be fabulous.

Even in small villages, you can often see Easter ceremonies that add to your experience. If you are walking anytime from April 5 to 12, keep an eye on the accommodation situation a day or two ahead.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My advice is to not postpone your trip because of Easter. Rather, embrace it! Don't avoid Easter; plan for it.

Yes there will be accommodation issues - mainly in the larger cities and neighbouring areas during Holy Week (the week leading up to Easter Sunday), especially the nights of Thursday April 9, Friday April 10 and Saturday April 11. So figure out where you will be on those nights. If it is Seville, Guillena, Zafra or Merida, book something immediately on booking.com. Maybe plan an extra day or half day to watch the activities.

I'd expect "everything" in Seville to be booked, at a high price, well in advance, but Easter in Seville is supposed to be fabulous.

Even in small villages, you can often see Easter ceremonies that add to your experience. If you are walking anytime from April 5 to 12, keep an eye on the accommodation situation a day or two ahead.
Thanks for the suggestions. As I will need to meet a friend in A Guidina on Apr 27th I have just worked back to start in Seville about 30 days before that. I guess I will be around Salamanca around Easter so.

I will be around Salamanca around Easter
Salamanca and Zamora will be also be popular destinations, so you should plan those April 9-11 days. If you find yourself off-schedule and cannot change the bookings, you can always use bus or taxi to go back and forth as needed in order to stay where you have the reservations. That would also allow you to join in the events in the cities. I would consider staying all 3 nights in Salamanca and planning to walk/bus up the path, returning each night to Salamanca. Or book 2 nights in Salamanca and 1 night in Zamora. I think that the bus service between Salamanca and Zamora is quite good, with intermediate stops, and you should be able to work out how to shuttle yourself along.

A group of us cycled the VDLP a couple of years ago - right across Easter week and we did not have any problems with getting beds at Albergues. We saw some impressive processions at each village/town along the way - including Seville (we did stay at the campsite in Seville - but the albergue I bought a book at was not full) We did a mixture of wild camping, campsites and plenty of albergues. Easter Sun itself we were in Merida - at a campsite. The only time an albergue was full was at Salamanca and that was because of graduation weekend - it was full of students...!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the vdlp this year … we were in Orense on easter weekend. Spain is amazing during lent/holy week. Don’t miss it…I would call ahead for Sevilla since no alberge but other than that you should not have any issues. Vdlp is awesome …

Salamanca and Zamora will be also be popular destinations, so you should plan those April 9-11 days. If you find yourself off-schedule and cannot change the bookings, you can always use bus or taxi to go back and forth as needed in order to stay where you have the reservations. That would also allow you to join in the events in the cities. I would consider staying all 3 nights in Salamanca and planning to walk/bus up the path, returning each night to Salamanca. Or book 2 nights in Salamanca and 1 night in Zamora. I think that the bus service between Salamanca and Zamora is quite good, with intermediate stops, and you should be able to work out how to shuttle yourself along.
Thanks for the information. At this point it seems my friend will join later so I will probably miss Holy Week entirely ( which has pros and cons ). That shuttle idea is a good one,

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back