A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Accommodation on the Camino

Hi everyone,

This is my first post.

I am after some information regarding accommodation on the Camino.

My wife and I are planning to set up a bunkhouse catering for the needs of pilgrims and we need to know a) where one is needed and b) where would be a nice place to live! I would imagine that those of you who have done the Pilgrimage would have a good idea as to the answers to these questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David Mercer

Nice place to live

My wife and I are planning to set up a bunkhouse catering for the needs of pilgrims and we need to know a) where one is needed and b) where would be a nice place to live!
a) Refugios/Albergues are needed most on the less traveled routes such as Camino Primitivo and Via de la Plata, but if this is to be a paying concern that will not be any use to you.

b) Where would I like to live? Anywhere in the Bierzo valley outside Ponferrada or maybe Navarra or Galicia.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi David,

Welcome to the board!

As you may know, I move to Galicia with my wife last year and I love it here.

When it comes to where there is a need for a bunkhouse... I think if you do it well, there will be no problems getting "customers". Of course, closer to Santiago = more pilgrims.

Please let me know if you have any more questions regarding "Living in Galicia".

Greetings from 14c and cloudy Santiago de Compostela,
Ivar

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Bunkhouse on the camino

What a wonderful thing to do - hope it goes well.
If you were thinking of a pilgrim refuge, I think that there are some rules and regulations to abide by. Check with the Santiago Office before you go to any expense.
Sil

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%