• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation on the Olvidado

I have just booked my flight to Bilbao and will be starting the Camino Olvidado on May 14th any info on accommodation would be a great help also I will be walking the Camino de Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago so any accommodation info for this would be appreciated as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@jerry lordan for the Olvidado I assume you have looked at the other threads and personal experiences in this section of the forum; I think from the headnote in our resources section there are only two albergues so you are pretty much going to rely on casa rurals, pensiones and hotels. Check out the thread on Enders guide.

For the Invierno you can download a comprehensive guide from the resources section here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can see some info about where I stayed on the olvidado in my blog here - https://mikesroaming.blogspot.com and I have attached a document with some info.
For the Invierno - there is loads of info in the Invierno section of this forum as well as a guide.

Attachments

• Camino Olvidado Ender Services.pdf
    87 KB · Views: 33
I've started to look at stage by stage accommodation in more detail, too.

Looking at the excellent App, the Albergue in Guenes, the Bario Santxosolo one, am I right from forum posts in thinking it doesn't take individuals? If so, where is a cheap and cheerful alternative please?

The Albergue in Balmaseda could be an alternative but makes for a long first day, you need to pay in advance? Anyone got any experience of this?

Trying to keep the stages sensible, at least to start with!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've started to look at stage by stage accommodation in more detail, too.

Looking at the excellent App, the Albergue in Guenes, the Bario Santxosolo one, am I right from forum posts in thinking it doesn't take individuals? If so, where is a cheap and cheerful alternative please?

The Albergue in Balmaseda could be an alternative but makes for a long first day, you need to pay in advance? Anyone got any experience of this?

Trying to keep the stages sensible, at least to start with!

Ender’s guide is up to date, I think. It lists one hotel, but I didn’t stay there. The first day we went on to Balmaseda. It is about 35 km, but very flat and largely asphalt. The one place Ender’s guide doesn’t list is Adolfo’s place in Nava de Ordunte, because it had some problems with officials and its status as albergue. But there is info on the forum about this place and how to stay there. Adolfo is a great guy and in contact with people up and down the Olvidado, so you can get a lot of good up to date info from him if there are changes.

Thanks. I've booked to stay at the albergue at Balmaseda on the first day now. Those long distances have already started ..... The second day, I'll aim for the Espinosa de los Monteros Albergue but there are some options before that. The third day maybe Soncillo. Experience tells me that planning anything after that is a bit redundant.

Where did you stay in Bilbao?

Last edited:
Thanks. I've booked to stay at the albergue at Balmaseda on the first day now. Those long distances have already started ..... The second day, I'll aim for the Espinosa de los Monteros Albergue but there are some options before that. The third day maybe Soncillo. Experience tells me that planning anything after that is a bit redundant.

Where did you stay in Bilbao?

I was meeting a friend there and getting in a day early, so we stayed in pensión right in the old town. I am pretty sure it was La Perla, great location, nice family running it. I remember that the next morning we walked past the albergue. If the albergue is the same as it was years ago, it is in a bad location for the Norte but right on the Olvidado. I see in Ender’s guide that there are three albergues listed, also Ray and Rosa list three https://www.rayyrosa.com/camino-olvidado/bilbao/gueñes/albergues. I am pretty sure that the Calle Kobeta one is the one that the Olvidado goes right past, but I could be wrong about that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back