Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation on the Primitivo

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I am planning to walk in June this year. Does one have to book ahead - I have read somewhere that the albergues are often full

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Jenny,
I have seen a big increase in the number of pilgrims. The albergue in Grado is almost always full, but you can't book it and there are alternatives. I stayed in an apartment owned by the Hotel, and I assume you could reserve that ahead, but it probably isn't necessary. The only other place I would recommend having a place to stay set up ahead of time is Berducedo. That becomes a real bottleneck because of the joining of the Hospitales and Pola de Allande variants and Berducedo is the first place after that spot with beds. There are several private options, if you can´t find them, give a holler and we can help.

In case the Autobar and the albergue (of which I have heard very good things) have no vacancies, there is a hostal at Lacayo de Sestiello (+34 985 75 35 66 http://www.ellacayodesestiello.com/) before Grado. At the roundabout of the N-634 in front of PM Automotor, take the left for 2-3km, cross the carretera, and take a right at the entrance to the village. My guess is that the hospitalero would know of (cheaper) private rooms available in the pueblo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for that info
Hi, Jenny,
I have seen a big increase in the number of pilgrims. The albergue in Grado is almost always full, but you can't book it and there are alternatives. I stayed in an apartment owned by the Hotel, and I assume you could reserve that ahead, but it probably isn't necessary. The only other place I would recommend having a place to stay set up ahead of time is Berducedo. That becomes a real bottleneck because of the joining of the Hospitales and Pola de Allande variants and Berducedo is the first place after that spot with beds. There are several private options, if you can´t find them, give a holler and we can help.
Hi, Jenny,
Thanks so much for that info. Can you let me know about the alternatives in Grado? Much appreciated.

In case the Autobar and the albergue (of which I have heard very good things) have no vacancies, there is a hostal at Lacayo de Sestiello (+34 985 75 35 66 http://www.ellacayodesestiello.com/) before Grado. At the roundabout of the N-634 in front of PM Automotor, take the left for 2-3km, cross the carretera, and take a right at the entrance to the village. My guess is that the hospitalero would know of (cheaper) private rooms available in the pueblo.
Great! Thanks for the info.

I walked the full camino past August and I didn't have any problem with the Albergues. After Melide I went to private albergues. Fromn Oviedo to Melide, mostly to public ones.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have stayed in this very friendly B&B. It only has 5 rooms so do make contact before going there and also check if the restaurant is open, and at what time, as there is no food nearby. We had to go into Grado itself.

Thanks for that info
Can you let me know about the alternatives in Grado? Much appreciated.

The hotel with rooms and apartments is the Auto Bar, it is on the way out of town on the Camino. Gronze has address and phone. The hospitaleros in the albergue will have good information about what is available if the albergue is full.

People who still have a little gas left when they reach Grado should consider going on to San Juan de Villapañada, about 5 more past Grado. It is one of those iconic places, in an absolutely beautiful setting with views over the valley and a "character hospitalero". I think this place is one that has suffered the opening of the Grado albergue the most, as more options open up in Grado to take the pilgrims turned away at the albergue and removing the need to walk on those extra 5 km. But it is worth it, IMO (though Grado is a nice little town, too!)

I am planning to walk in June this year. Does one have to book ahead - I have read somewhere that the albergues are often full

Somewhere in the new layout is an old post of mine. It may help you?

I walked the Primitivo in May 2015. I can only recall one occasion when bed availability was a potential problem.

Since I walked it I believe the Primitivo has grown in popularity, and I understand why, it's beautiful.

Given you are planning for June, some booking might be advisable? Even though booking is something we try to avoid.

Buen (bed-finding) Camino

camino-primitivo-may-june-2015/ Buen Camino
JohnMcM Post #11 Jul 3, 2015 Forum: The Camino Primitivo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Has anyone had any problems getting a bed in Borres? There isn't another option is there?, except 3km before which makes a very short day if walking from Tineo.

We live in Spain and intend to walk the Primitivo, possibly in late April or May. We will watch for a good weather window and go for it! My only concern is the Borres accommodation.

There isn't another option is there?, except 3km before which makes a very short day if walking from Tineo

I don't think that you will have any problem in those dates.

For me, what is better about Borres is that is the closest albergue to the start of Hospitales. Being a difficult journey ... the shortest the best!! ;)

When I was walking with four kids we arrived at Borres fairly late and there were only three beds left. Because everyone who had already arrived "knew" us they were happy for us to squeeze in (as was the hospitalera). I poked myself under a bunk on the floor and one of the kids took a spot on the floor by the toilets/front door! Once everyone was in for the night, a very kind Dutch gentleman locked the front door and informed everyone where the key was - for the safety of my daughter who was sleeping by it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked in May and booked a couple days ahead as we went. The only place we booked way ahead of time was Albergue A Nave in Fereira because we wanted a private 4 bunk room. Escamplero started filling by 2pm and by 6pm it was full.

Has anyone had any problems getting a bed in Borres? There isn't another option is there?, except 3km before which makes a very short day if walking from Tineo.

We live in Spain and intend to walk the Primitivo, possibly in late April or May. We will watch for a good weather window and go for it! My only concern is the Borres accommodation.
We walked in May (2012) and saw very few people, stayed in Tineo; Campiello; Pola de Allande; Berducedo etc. The surge caught us up in Grandas and we heard that the previous night every bed was taken in Berducedo and La Morta with some having to taxi forward to Grandas. There is more accommodation now in Berducedo, but that was the difficult area in 2012. We stayed 2 (planned ) nights in Grandas and let the surge go.

For your Camino by the time you reach Tineo you will see how many other pilgrims are around on a daily basis. If you are in a surge then Borres could fill up early, if there are not over many pilgrims then you can choose between a short day to Campiello or going on to Borres.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm happier now about Borres. Our intention is to go on the hospitales route so would like to start from there. We're happy to use hotels, hostals, ... whatever, on other sections if there's a problem with numbers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back